Jethro Tull Aqualung 45 anniversary deluxe soon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

It recently was $25 to Atlanta, but it's showing as $30 now.

2. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Here's another positive for Bull Moose. With every purchase, you get bonus points.
    I just purchased the new Aqualung 45th set for 1/2 price.

3. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Give them a call. Maybe there was a mistake. I'm sure they will make it right. As I posted above, I got the same set for 1/2 price (a little over $15) using bonus points, but they still honored the original price and did not charge me shipping.

4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

You're right! I screwed up. I was going to buy from Bull Moose, but they don't accept paypal for payment, so I had to buy from Importcds.com

5. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

When and where did you get the quad reel to reel? Incredible !!!

6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Probably around 12 to 15 years ago, off eBay.

7. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

For those about to rock I salute you.

8. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

So, back to the music - - is the general consensus that this 45 non-Mew Aqualung is noticeably better than the 2011 two-disc version? Thanks.

FVDnz likes this.
  9. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

It's noticeable to me. Better dynamics and less bumped up bass.

FVDnz and RubenH like this.
  10. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Absolutely! :)

RubenH likes this.
  11. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Which actually can be a good thing... I absolutely prefer the 5.1-version of Crosseyed Mary on the bluray to the DVD dito - I miss the distinct "omphh" in the base on the DVD.

12. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

The "deprived" seller is
    should be between buyer & seller which is where it will stay from now on.
    Thank you to all (really) & to all a good night.

13. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

OK, I've finally bought this and it's a beautiful package, much like the others in this serie. I've compared it with the 2011 edition and the mastering difference is dramatic. Take "My God" for example: the 2011 CD has the two sections at the same volume, so the song doesn't get any punch when the electric guitar kicks in. Here everything is much more natural. The Wilson mixes are splendid: both the album tracks and the previously released outtakes.

I'm not sure I had commented on the new tracks back in 2011, so here we go. The 1970 studio version of "My God" was one of my holy grails and it did not disappoint. I still prefer the one that got released on the album album, but this earlier take is not different than what I expected and the middle section with all the flute overdubs was pure delight. "Wond'ring Aloud, Again" is another excellent addition, though I think I'd still rather listen to the "Wond'ring Again" edit on "Living in the Past". Still, one of my favorite Tull tunes and the additional verse is a treat. It's also interesting to hear the original version of "Up The 'Pool" but I'm glad it got reworked into a full blown track. The alternate takes of "Wond'ring Aloud" and "Slipstream" are quite pleasant, though not much revelatory. The two new remixes that are exclusive to this 2016 edition are very good, especially "Life is a Long Song". The drum sound on that one has always been awful and Wilson really improved it on the remix even though it was probably badly recorded: it sounds like Barrie had put cardboard on the cymbals. Finally, the flat transfer of the "Life is a Long Song" EP is the best sounding version I've heard of these mixes. Sure, I would have liked to hear "Pancake Doomsday" (a version of "Saturation" from the "Aqualung" sessions?! Wow!) and the oddly titled "Dedicated to Ian & Terry" but I decided I trust the compiler's judgement: if these tracks have not been included it means that they were too incomplete to be enjoyed.

Again, I can't judge some of the contents of the DVDs because I do not own a surround system but the "Life is a Long Song" promo clip is really in great quality. Previously I had only seen it in grainy or nth generation tape quality. Here it looks so great that I felt it was a surreal experience watching it. Also, yesterday I couldn't resist and I played a stereo reduction of the Quadraphonic mix just to pick up the differences. It turns out that this is the most different of the four (maybe more?) Quad mixes they had prepared. Apologies if it has already been discussed, but aside from being a radically different mix, these are the major differences I picked up:

AQUALUNG - They used another vocal take for most of the song. The version on "M.U." is almost certainly a Quad reduction;
    CROSS-EYED MARY - Much more reverb on the flute. The vocals are more natural, could it be a partly different take? Anyway, a bit of piano is missing in the finale;
    CHEAP DAY RETURN - The second guitar is more upfront, the oboe is mixed higher and I think it comes in earlier;
    UP TO ME - The laugh at the very beginning is missing, the vocals are less treated and the wah-wah guitar and the percussions are much more upfront;
    MY GOD - There is no echo on the guitar solo and there's one extra bit of flute before the central section with the solo that is missing from every other mix. Also, at the end of that part, the choir is mixed higher;
    SLIPSTREAM - The voice has much more reverb and Ian's doubletracking is more noticeable;
    LOCOMOTIVE BREATH - I think I heard extra guitar phrases and the fade out is quicker and sounds like a cold ending. If I'm not mistaken this is on "M.U." as well;
    WIND-UP - As we all know the Quad uses an alternate sparser take of the song. However, the vocals have much more reverb compared to the stereo mix on the 1996 CD and the Steven Wilson remix.

The booklet is very good. Since they kept the 2011 notes, they are not as detailed as the ones they are doing in the current sets but they are still a pleasant read, especially the parts written by the various members of the band. I do miss Glenn Cornick, I've only talked to him twice but both times he was very gracious and funny. The interviews with Terry Ellis and John Burns (studio engineer for the original sessions) were also extremely interesting. Loads of great photos as well! The one thing that was extended from the previous edition is the Aqualung chronlogy which was very exciting as it gives an interesting insight on what went on and really takes you deeper into the making of the album.

Verdict: if you do not have the 2011 edition, get this immediately. If you do have the 2011 one, this is still better but it all depends on how good the previous mastering sounded to your ears and wether you can live without the new "Life is a Long Song" and "Up The 'Pool" remixes. Me, I enjoyed this set immensely and very much look forward to the continuation of this serie. As I always say: this boxes are my Jethro Tull dream becoming reality!

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    kolive, ti-triodes, tootull and 9 others like this.
  14. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I love the new set as well.
    What I find intersting is the different level of tape hiss on the original Life's a long song and the remix.
    Fascinating how much hiss was removed without sounding denoised. I guess on the remix version the unused tracks are always muted....

15. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Life is a Long Song and Up The Pool are completely new mixes? I just thought that the mastering is different and the remix is same that in 2011 edition.

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

They weren't included as remixes on the 2011 edition.

jsayers likes this.
  17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So what are some of your new tracklistings for Aqualung now, with the advent of the new remixes and bonus tracks? What if Ian and the band weren't limited by the LP's time and album side constraints back in 1971?

~The "Life's A Long Song" EP advert seen in the booklet suggests that "Up The Pool" (the earlier version) was originally part of the Aqualung album (presumably as another short acoustic jewel) before it got bumped due to time restrictions.

~"Lick Your Fingers Clean" clearly fits in with the Aqualung album ethos.

~"Wond'ring Aloud, Again" is the complete version of an edited Aqualung track.

~"Just Trying To Be" is ambiguous as to whether is fits in more as an Aqualung track or a Benefit track. It was recorded closer to the Benefit sessions, but after that album's release.

~We now have earlier, arguably superior versions of both "My God" and "Wind Up" to consider.

So how would you arrange the album now for a gold-medal cdr?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

According to this picture yes. (CD two »)
    [​IMG]

19. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Hmmm... I don't know, really. I think the album works the way it is. I like "Wond'ring Again" more than "Wond'ring Aloud", but I also think the shorter more positive version works better on the album. "Lick Your Fingers Clean" could have been an excellent single, I don't really understand why Chrysalis recalled it at the last minute. I disagree regarding both earlier versions of "My God" and "Wind-Up" being superior. The 1970 "My God" is very good and could have worked well by itself but, being more familiar with the later more polished one, I think it's better. Also, I think the first version of "Wind-Up" is much weaker than the later one used on the album: it's far too high in pitch and the central section doesn't come close to have the same power.

So, yeah, I really wouldn't change anything. But I'm gladly taking the extra material to integrate the already excellent album :)

Runicen and jsayers like this.
  20. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I assume benefit will be done in the book format at some point. Wonder if there are any extra tracks that are in the vaults to add

21. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Is it out of print? Did it sell good enough to reprint? Was there anything really wrong with it? I'm not so sure they will repress Benefit just so it looks better on the shelf. Personally it's my favorite JT album and even though I already have the current DE, I would still buy the book format version. But are there enough hopeless OCD collectors like me that would do that to make this feasible? I kind of doubt it.....but, who knows. :shrug:

The Aqualung box was out of print and getting pricey and had a few mistakes. Plus it's Tull's best selling album. It made sense to repress it in a smaller format with the much in demand surround mix.

ti-triodes, Runicen and Lonson like this.
  22. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

I've just checked the 2011 reissue and compared it with the new one; Life is a Long Song and Up the 'Pool were definitely remixed for the 2011 set and, as with the rest of the album, the remixes for these two songs were carried over to the new box set but without Peter Mew's mastering. The things that give it away are the drums on Life is a Long Song, which are clearer and come in earlier on the remix (plus the strings are narrower than what they originally were), and the strings at the beginning of Up the 'Pool, which are upfront in the original mix but are further down in the remix.

Mirsset and Galeans like this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Benefit 2 CD/DVD set is still available on Amazon. I have this set and would buy a new version in the book format to complete the set :). I also have the original Aqualung box set (unopened) and the new set in the book format. Sick I know ;).

Bill

jerrygene, tkl7 and jsayers like this.
  24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I would rebuy Benefit in the new book format as well.

Ya I was confused. They were included in the new set for the first time as 5.1 mixes right? not new stereo remixes.

25. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

Nope. Also in the 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.