Jethro Tull Aqualung - best audiophile vinyl version overall?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GuyMontag21, Dec 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

You don't say why you think so. I happen to love the Classic. Its wide open midband, huge soundstage, natural sound, and immediacy are an astonishing listen. It doesn't have the big bass, but it apparently wasn't on the master tape. That some mastering engineers have sweetened it by boosting the bass is fine and a personal preference for some. I like the Classic.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the only problem I have with the remix is Locomotive breath...nothing major, but it's different in certain parts that I remember and liked...

4. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

That's bad luck. Mine plays okay but isn't perfect - some warp and a tick here and there. Sound quality excellent though.

5. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Owned The Classic and the MFSL, for me, it's the Steven Wilson remix.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It's funny how ears differ; I actually think LB is one of the biggest improvements along with the others I mentioned. It sounds far more powerful, the guitar fills are beefier and that awful hiss/dirt is gone from the soft piano intro.

7. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Just personal preference not much different than your own - just reversed. That's not to say I don't enjoy a listen to the Classic. Actually, this thread made me crack open the original Reprise. Having not heard it in years, perhaps I was a little unfair in my dismissal. Sure, not up to the sonic performances of the newer pressings. Bass is almost absent but, it was still a good listen. It made me think that perhaps I've become a little too focused on razzle dazzle and not enjoying the music itself. My toes still tapped with the Reprise.

8. Michael

Indeed...we all hear things differently.

9. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Of course. If you are looking for the original release / original mix, an early US Reprise with -1A or 1B matrices is great. It has a little bit of tastefully done compression as opposed to the original UK, which really works with this recording. Or get the Classic reissue. The UK is not all all poor. Against a good US they are close with just slight differences. The UK has a little bit better resolution and presence but sounds a tad more open. The reason I mention the US as being good is the bit of compression (in my opinion) works - it has more ba*ls than the UK at louder volume. Remember this was a compromised recording and mix from the start. The biggest complaint is the masters are bass or low end shy.

The old MFSL LP release has the bass / lower end frequencies boosted so ridiculously it sounds artificial or unnatural, even silly.

10. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

my vote goes to Classic 45rpm clarity 4disc box....it is stunning

I have most releases digital and vinyl, it just seems to be so detailed and in your face

11. GuyMontag21

GuyMontag21 Forum Resident Thread Starter

How much more so than the 1 LP Classic?

12. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I think it is the best and worth the money. You asked which is the best. However, it is very much opinion at that point meaning is it worth it to everyone or can everyone hear a difference. I do as far as the in your face sound and detail. But so much goes into it including your equipment, personal preference etc.

GuyMontag21 likes this.
  13. GuyMontag21

Sorry to resurrect this thread, guys, but I had one more question - does anyone have thoughts on the Island pressings of this? They pop up on eBay every so often, and I've heard zilch about them. (Looks like a few varieties...some "pink rim" Island, and some with the small "i" label.)

14. GuyMontag21

15. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

DCC has the mojo. Classic 33 1/3 sounds too modern to me. I have a first Canadian that's not bad. That's all I have though.

john lennonist likes this.
  16. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I love the Classic. I didn't realize they had also done a 45RPM version. Was it in print for more than 5 minutes?

17. Michael

actually it sounds the way it should have...Locomotive Breath is especially fab on the MFSL...

18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

You may like it, but it's not what is on the master tape. But that brings up a can worms - do you want what's on the master tape, or do you want the engineer to improve upon it?

Michael likes this.
  19. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

:agree:

DaleH likes this.
  20. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Gotta disagree, the MFSL is ridiculously unbalanced.

John Buchanan likes this.
  21. Michael

OK, that's your opinion.

22. Michael

OK, but...as long as they do not REMIX it I'm fine with it. Can of worms now empty.

23. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I've had a original UK Chrysalis with the small "i" label and found the sound underwhelming, worth checking out if you find one for the right price. If I came across a UK pink-rim copy I'd have to pick it up for the cool factor but my personal preference for sound is the original 1A/1A US Reprise and the DCC.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  24. GuyMontag21

That's a huge drag to hear - those Island labels look really nice. (The pink rim one, especially.)

AaronW likes this.
  25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just picked up the Classic records version and, aside from the first couple of tracks which i found a little bass light, it sounds really nice, transparent and detailed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.