Jethro Tull - Aqualung DCC

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Elegy, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Re: the quad Aqualung.

I listened to side 1 last night and the "sun streaking cold" section of the title song is a different take - and NOT the one used on the MU album. The rest of it was either:

(a) dramatically remixed - there was little attempt made to duplicate the stereo mix (e.g. - the acoustic piano fill at the end of Cross Eyed Mary are M.I.A.)

or

(b) had new portions overdubbed onto the existing tracks. There appears to be additional keyboard parts "laid on top of" the standard vocal, guitar and drum tracks. Solos, drums and "vocal inflections" remain the same, but there appear to be bass and synth parts that just aren't on the original.

Truth be told - it doesn't sound half bad, but it doesn't sound the same either. The overall effect seems to add some "warmth " missing from the original and also restores some dynamics. On the other hand, the "warm" bass and keyboard tracks emphasize how thin and scratchy the vocals, guitars and drums sound. Weird record. I guess this displays why surround sound re-mixes have always been a dicey proposition.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Giant remix.

3. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Where can you get the DCC gold disk (other than E-Bay)?

4. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, you didn't. If it were only that easy.

The old DCC website is still up, but you can't order anything anymore.

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The DCC gold disc is very, very hard to find these days. I know of no place to buy it. You can't buy mine. Sorry. :D

Steve, "Giant remix".... I presume Giant is a record label?

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Gary,

And rumor had it here that your copy could "be had" for the right price...I guess those rumors were false. I have one but...there was plenty of talk, none the less!

Bob;)

8. krabapple

krabapple New Member

I thought Humorem's site had some for sale, last time I looked. Are they all gone now?

9. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

10. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Music Fix is notorious for pricing his MFSL and DCC stuff high. Supply and demand I guess but his offerings are the most expensive around.

I feel fortunate to have purchased my copy at a somewhat reasonable price. I paid $40 for mine about a year ago on eBay.

Check eBay from time to time. If you don't mind a used copy, they can be relatively inexpensive.

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:laugh: Fat chance, my friend! :laugh:

12. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bob

13. Evan

Evan Senior Member

If you are gonna look on e-bay, DO NOT consume any alcoholic beverages or weird medications while browsing. I had had a few beers the night I pick up my copy of Aqualung. Cost me 80 bucks sealed. I just wish I could remember buying it :confused:

On the plus side I only paid 30 dollars (with shipping) on e-bay for my Elvis 24k karat hits CD last April :)

Ale200 likes this.
  14. Ale200

Ale200 Forum Resident

The DCC is the best sounding version of the original mix, definitely:D. The Steven Wilson mix on the 40th anniversary adapted edition sounds awesome too.

15. Ale200

Ale200 Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh:

16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

This thread is from 17 years ago. Just sayin’.

Soundslave likes this.
  17. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Yea, I noticed that when I read something about My Music Fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.