Jethro Tull 'Aqualung'.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by felix.scerri, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

This. I got into Tull when I was a teen in high school, around the time of the Grammy for best metal artist controversy. I wondered how the hell Tull had beaten Metallica and why. I decided to start with Aqualung since I knew the older stuff would be better than "Crest of a Knave". What got me was Clive's drumming on Cross Eyed Mary. Fierce and funky, I could listen to those drums for hours. This was later followed by the 20th Anniversary box set that came out my first semester in college. The Chateau D'isaster tracks just blew me away. I couldn't believe those were scrapped.

freemanl, old school and ParloFax like this.
  2. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I don't believe there are plans for a separate release. What meant was I was hoping for was a release of a separate Blu-ray disc and if not I would hope to buy a copy from the box set where someone didn't listen to or want the Blu-ray disc. I long shot I fear.

3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Saw Tull before Aqualung was released, but the show included several- many- songs from the album. Brilliant show; Mountain opened. Let's see, on vinyl I have: old MoFi, DCC and a WLP copy, among others. Never heard the Steve Wilson version on vinyl. I think this is, in some ways, Tull at the pinnacle, much as I really love 'Stand Up' (and yes, I dig Benefit, too). This Was, I haven't focused on as much- and Brick and thereafter, not really, either.

4. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I agree -- perhaps my favorite song of theirs, and you've reminded me that the drums are a big part of why.

I'm not a huge Tull follower, so are there any other songs that feature him so well in this style?

5. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

"Wond'ring Aloud"

Wond'ring aloud --
    how we feel today.
    Last night sipped the sunset --
    my hands in her hair.
    We are our own saviours
    as we start both our hearts beating life
    into each other.

Wond'ring aloud --
    will the years treat us well.
    As she floats in the kitchen,
    I'm tasting the smell
    of toast as the butter runs.
    Then she comes, spilling crumbs on the bed
    and I shake my head.
    And it's only the giving
    that makes you what you are.

Some of the best lyrics ever written...

Later, Chris

6. felix.scerri

felix.scerri Forum Resident Thread Starter

G'day mate, yes! Regards, Felix.

7. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

What? Tell me more?

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I am not a huge Jethro Tull fan. But there is something about Aqualung that clicks with me, I think it's the flow of the album and that it just rocks from start to finish. The remix is fun (especially in surround), but the original mix is still my preferred way to listen to the album.

9. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

It is pretty low that 5.1 mix can't be had for reasonable price...

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

One comment about Clive's drumming - I have noticed that in early live versions of "Aqualung" he would vary the fills while in every live version with Barriemore Barlow I have heard he played everything the same as the studio version, I presume out of respect to Clive.

cc-- likes this.
  11. old school

old school Senior Member

Clive is one of my favorite drummers. Have you checked out Tull "Live At The Isle Of Wight"? The Chateau Tapes are coming out in 2014 remixed by SW. Clive is a monster on IOW. He left because he thought Tull were getting to technical?

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The explanation I read is that Clive was getting married and wanted to get away from the relentless tour-album-tour schedule Tull had in those days.

13. It's strange because to my ear Clive Bunker was technically the best, most advanced musician of the '68/'71 Jethro Tull. This especially struck me upon watching his Isle of Wight solo... :goodie:

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well now you know!:D

15. old school

old school Senior Member

I agree love his work. His solo on Dharma is one of the best.

16. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Side 1 is very good-4.5/5
    Side 2 is pretty average 3/5
    Side 2 of quad album is fairly good though 4/5(all songs have better vocals and Wind up has better sound)
    Disc 2 from 40th anniversary 2 cd edition is very good too 4.5/10

17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

While "Benefit" is my fave Tull album, the run from "Stand Up" through the "Living in the Past" comp is an astonishing five-album string that's about as good as any artists', IMHO.

Scott in DC likes this.
  18. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

(Sorry to brag, but...) It's even more gorgeous when one has a NM DCC LP with Ian's personalized signature on it, as I do! :goodie:

19. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

All the songs on that album hold my attention. But he one song I always listen to when it's playing is the powerful 'My God', with it's fast, slow, loud, quiet parts. And the Lyrics!

People, what have you done?
    Locked him in his golden cage, golden cage
    Made him bend to your religion
    Him resurrected from the grave, from the grave

He is the God of nothing
    If that's all that you can see
    You are the God of everything
    He's inside you and me

Ian expressed things sooo well.

keyXVII and john lennonist like this.
  20. Not sure you were implying this, but to clarify, The Chateau Disaster recordings all feature Barrie Barlow, not Clive. I have never read anything to suggest Clive left Tull because the music was getting too technical for his taste. When Clive toured with Steve Hillage in the late 70s he was perfectly fine with that demanding music. Clive was a great drummer and Tull really lucked-out to find a strong replacement with Barrie Barlow.

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I have an MFSL gold CD with Ian Anderson's autograph inside the booklet. At least, I assume it is authentic because, while the seller did advertise the signature, he didn't charge more than the going rate for the gold disc at the time.

22. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i saw them in the summer of 1970 when benefit came out and again in the spring of 1971 just as aqualung was coming out. both great shows but i preferred the 1st three releases. i thought aqualung was the start of a formula for them.

23. houston

houston Forum Resident

I ran across a 20th anniversary Tull cd this weekend, I think it is a one-disc overview of the box set? from 1988, "made in Germany by Topac"... is it worth getting? good sound quality?

24. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I tried to get tickets, but had no luck.... wasn't there some lottery or something? Glad they released a cd of the performance, I like some of the reinterpretations (and Ian's banter of course).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.