Jethro Tull 'Aqualung'.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by felix.scerri, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I always thought it was a 'bar'... LOL!

2. old school

old school Senior Member

3. old school

old school Senior Member

I should have said Clive thought Tull were moving in a more progressive direction. I know Barrie is on the tape's.

4. One of my all time favourites. Hoffman DCC or Wilson Remix both are great.

5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Question re the Classic 45 pressings (which I don't own): weren't there sets that contained both the black vinyl and the Clarity vinyl @ 45 rpm for comparison purposes? And wouldn't these amount to a total of 8 records, since the original Classic 45 set had the album spread out over 4 records?
    Call me confused. I've seen the Clarity packages on offer, but I thought these combo sets were for 'preview' or 'reviewer' purposes only.
    Oh, I bought yet another WLP and remembered I have an old US reprise, but decided I needed another one.

6. playbass

playbass Forum Resident

On the Tull biography DVD, Clive says he left because he was getting married and wanted to be a family man for a while.

7. Never heard that before. My copy just has 2 clear lps. Be a tight squeeze to fit an extra 4 records in the box which isn't particularly strong in the first place.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

best of both worlds!

9. Michael

I disagree...it is such a special album to me I had to go for it...although I was not happy with the forced vinyl...I actually purchased both the 2 CD and box set versions...sad.:(
    they did Benefit right! kept the vinyl as a separate purchase! bravo!

goat65cars and Pete Puma like this.
  10. BmWr75

BmWr75 New Member

Hello Felix,

Songs from the Woods was my first Tull album. Aqualung was probably the 2nd or 3rd. Yes, I agree is is special and as others have already said, the Steve Wilson redone version sounds much better than all previous releases I've heard.

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm just the opposite. I had to go for it too but I've only played the record out of the set :)

Michael likes this.
  12. Michael

I guess I'm better off...:D you paid dearly for just the vinyl...

13. ssmith3046

But it was well worth it and I'd do it again! You just can't put a price on some things.

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

I agree...I've never regretted any of my favorite album purchases.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

This thread reminded me about the box set I purchased some time ago, so tonight I finally cracked the package open, poured a brandy and played the vinyl LP. It is jaw-droppingly good, I have to say; and pressed on clean, dead-silent vinyl. I'd ordered the box when Import CDs had it relatively cheap (about $75), and bought the 2-CD 40th anniversary edition to hear the new mixes while waiting for the box to arrive. I love the Steven Wilson mixes, but still play my 70's vinyl from time to time. As I previously said, one of my all-time favorite albums.

I first heard this album in my early teens. A friend's older brother actually loaned it to me to listen to. I immediately bought my own copy and played it to death. I don't know which drove my mom more crazy; Aqualung or Black Sabbath's "Paranoid", but to her credit, she let me crank them both up, despite some protests over "My God" and "War Pigs". I'm in my mid-50's now, and hope I will be playing Aqualung into my 90's! What's another 40 years? :)

keyXVII likes this.
  16. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

So I tracked this down and got it- 4 Clarity and 4 black vinyl discs, all cut at 45 rpm. I have a pretty extensive pile of different pressings, from a couple WLPs, to the DCC, to the old MoFi, early US reprise, maybe a UK pressing or two. I think these were sent out to reviewers to compare the black to Clarity vinyl at the time, but from what i've been able to determine, just samplers of a couple discs, not the full album. Thankfully, so far (3 of the 4 Clarity discs having been played), they are dead quiet. I had my share of Classic Records problems back in the day.

17. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

i love the album,one of my all time favs from the era along with the likes of who's next and so many others....i own the DCC version which i think is great but my go to version is the Steve Wilson version which i love!

18. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

This was a whole new introduction to Prog music and tull in general. Before it was Purple/sabbath/Grand Funk etc i loved. Now i found something way deeper more moody and with a certain magic. always liked the flute and so this was like my daily companion for many many months when i was 13 / 14 years old - still love it today ! Locomotive Breath was a favorite , but Wonderin' aloud is another piece i adore. Every tune on the album is special. by far the best to come from Jethro Tull ever . Oopsnearly forgot I had the first Tull LP before that ( This Was) but that was way different, Good, too. This , Stand Up, Thick as a Brick and the debut are my favorite Tull LP's.

19. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I found a super clean vinyl copy this morning. It's on the green Chrysalis US label and has a lyric sheet insert. How does this pressing, which I believe is a 1973 reissue, sound?

20. kman

kman Forum Resident

This album reminds me of a 1974 high school class I had to take ----- back in the day my high school actually had everybody take "typing" as in learning to type on a typewriter
    This was before computers for you younger folks
    Anyways, the teacher was a really cool dude who would let us bring in albums to listen to on a little record player that he had in the classroom, and the one album that everybody could agree on was aqualung. So for one entire semester we listened to aqualung every class
    My accuracy at the keyboard dropped everytime locomotive breath played :)

21. ssmith3046

No records in my typing class. I think there were three or four fancy electric typewriters in the class and the best in the class got to use those. I never laid a finger on one.

22. sami

sami Mono still rules

Aqualung was my intro into Jethro Tull, and it is absolutely a stone classic record. Today, I reach for Stand Up and Benefit before any other Tull, but their run from This Was through Songs From The Wood is as impressive and consistently high caliber as has ever been produced, and I believe is overlooked to some degree when we discuss the great album runs of classic bands.

john lennonist and showtaper like this.
  23. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

Wish I could buy the Steven Wilson mix of Aqualung on vinyl but it costs over £80

24. I should check things before rushing into print, never too late though. The Classic Clarity version is of course 4 lps which shows how often I play mine these days. So much easier to put on the Wilson single lp version.

25. Michael

I wish I could sell mine as it is useless to me...unfortunately it's designed to not be separated from the set or it will ruin the packaging! ridiculous!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.