Jethro Tull - 'Benefit' and 'Passion Play' Remasters - any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil P, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil P

Phil P Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone have any info regarding likely release dates for these two, which I believe Steve Wilson was working on?

Also any thoughts on bonus material?

Phil

2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/38634/thread
    The Benefit remix is now due for release in October 2013 (probably a digipack with extensive sleeve notes etc), and the Chateau/APP package will be released in 2014.

The delay has been due to recent record company changes.

The latter package will include an extra 10 minutes of Chateau stuff, all without the 1990s added flute, while the APP remix will have Steven Wilson either following or ignoring IA's suggestion to leave some instruments out to make it sound less dense and complex.

More info, including IA's reappraisal of APP, will be in a major Record Collector feature later this summer.

-thanks to Graham (maddog) The Jethro Tull Forum

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/thread/2344/all-remixed-benefit-app
    Coming soon is a deluxe edition of Benefit (Ian Anderson had always disliked the mix of this album, so he worked together with Steven Wilson to capture the sound he always wished it had) which will contain several bonus tracks on a separate disc.

The other deluxe edition is A Passion Play which will also contain newly remixed versions of the Chateau D'isaster Tapes (for those unfamiliar these tapes were an aborted concept album that was shelved and then A Passion Play was recorded instead).

waxtomcat, slipkid, murrays and 2 others like this.
  3. Kurt Nighswander

Kurt Nighswander New Member

Im looking forward to the newer cleaner sound of Benefit...and A Passion Play....

Ed Hughes likes this.
  4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Cool news, thanks for the updates :)

5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I'd love to see the extra material :agree:

6. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Awesome news!

7. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

anyone know if they are doing 5.1 mixes on these?
    thanks!

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

But of course - Steven Wilson is "in the house"!!

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I hope Benefit has the U.S. mix of Teacher as a bonus track. I never liked the muddy sounding U.K. mix.

10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The UK remix appeared @ record store day EP
    So it will definitely be included on the upcoming 'Benefit' box

It would be nice to have both US (with flute and less guitar) and UK (fluteless and with more guitar) versions :wave:

[​IMG]

11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Good to know. Thanks.

12. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I'll be buying this set for the Chateau portion and this is very good news to my ears; sounds like this is the best chance we'll get to having a complete album with all the music and hopefully in a better track sequence. I don't particularly care about the APP remix, though I hope SW ignores Ian's suggestion. Would be nice if these included flat transfers of the original masters too....

sound chaser and kevinsinnott like this.
  13. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

Although I'm not usually a fan of remixes (thanks, Genesis SACDs), "Benefit" is one album that is just screaming for one. I quite enjoy the Aqualung and TAAB remixes and can't wait to hear this! I have never heard any LP pressing/CD/whatever of Benefit that doesn't sound like absolute crap. And damnit, leave APP alone, Ian!

14. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Have bought all the Steve Wilson Tull and King Crimson remasters (up to Red, when King Crimson ceased to exist :) ) I can honestly say I am beside myself in anticipation in looking forward to A Passion Play.

For me Benefit was always the weakest of the first four albums but it's still a fine album. The remix is much needed.

Here's a great cover of Inside that I suspect many here won't be familiar with. It's by Norwegian Trond Granlund.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Inside/1YQJWp?src=5

GowG likes this.
  15. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Can't wait for the new (old) Chateau mixes.
    As for A Passion play: I love this album to death, and since there are enough great sounding editions out from this album I hope it goes the Anderson route. A remix that sounds the same as the old mix is useless on an album that sounds already good. I would have wished for a radically different mix on Brick, too.
    Aqualung was another story here was an "original" mix in better quality needed...

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wait - are you talking about that single/EP or about the Benefit album? I love Benefit but didn't know there were 2 different versions of it (??). If so I need to track down whatever I don't have!!!

17. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I was just about to do a needle-drop of Benefit -- I shall now await the SW version instead!!!! Yay!

As for Passion Play, it’s been a long time -- I was never in love with it, as it seemed a bit overcooked and busy. I’ll give it another chance, of course, and the newish mix should hopefully help.

18. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

For the record store day, the UK single remix of 'Teacher' was released :wave:

Here's Steven Wilson remix (sadly, uploaded in mono. UK version)

There's been quite a lot of confusion about the UK and US versions. I think part of that is because on the 2001 remastered edition of 'Benefit' the US VERSION was included, but on the tracklist it was listed as UK version. But it's easy to tell each one

UK Version: More guitar playing. No flute
    US version: Less guitar playing. Flute

We don't know the tracklist yet, but I'd love to have both versions :agree:

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The two "Teacher"s are two different versions of the song, not just alternate mixes. For the drummers out there, the UK version has Clive playing ride cymbal in the verses while in the US version he plays hi hat.

ponkine and ParloFax like this.
  20. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Thanks for clearing up the mistake on the 2001 CD. I always assumed it was the U.K. version (which I've never actually heard until today BTW) because it sounded muddy and a lot less clear than the version from the original U.S. Chrysalis L.P.

21. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

22. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

23. belardd

belardd Senior Member

now if we could get a deluxe Stand Up

24. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I wss wondering the same thing. what is Stand Up? Chopped liver? i was 14-17 and a singer and flautist in a high school rock and roll band. you might be able to imagine what Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung and Thick as a Brick meant to me. Then again perhaps perhaps it s unimaginable. Hopefully they will be high rez stereo.
    (i also sang Paranoid and played flute on Dylan's Lay Lady Lay. Some early Chicago as well. Color my World was the big one.

25. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I drool at the thought of both!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.