Jethro Tull - 'Benefit' and 'Passion Play' Remasters - any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil P, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

the mfsl of passion play is quite good,i have owned it for years now and always enjoyed it...i do look forward to a remixed benefit

2. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

I posted this in the other related thread...

Steven Wilson recently "tweeted" that Benefit (that he remixed) is due out on October 14:

"October is a busy month for my remixes of classic albums. 7th - XTC "Nonsuch", 14th - Jethro Tull "Benefit" and King Crimson "Red"…"

<https://twitter.com/StevenWilsonHQ/status/363623187898052608>

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm ready.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It would be better to replace "remasters" with "remixes" in the thread title to avoid confusion with the 2002 remasters.

Sneaky Pete and Bronth like this.
  5. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

Good point. The OP is specificly about the new remixes that Steven Wilson has done.

6. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

on website of SW :

Last but not least, several remixes of classic albums are being released in October (done over a very long period of time, so it’s coincidence that they all seem to be coming out on top of each other!) Yes “Close to the Edge“, XTC “Nonsuch“, Jethro Tull “Benefit“, and King Crimson “Red” were all remixed from the master tapes into stereo and 5.1 (except Red which is a new stereo mix only).

I notice these releases referred to as “remasters” quite a lot on the internet, but what I do is to remix, which is a very different and much deeper process that involves actually going back to the multitrack session tapes and rebalancing the instruments and recreating the whole sound picture. In fact most of my mixes these days are released without any mastering at all, I prefer it that way.

Graham and MisterBritt like this.
  7. old school

old school Senior Member

I thought there was one already? A two disc set from 2010?

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

that's right...but it wasn't remixed...but I don't think it needs to be...nor does Benefit or Passion Play...but I'll buy it

9. old school

old school Senior Member

Yes I know the feeling anytime a deluxe edition of Tull comes out I will buy for sure. I have the MOFI of Passion Play but will buy the Wilson remix.

Keith V likes this.
  10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Stand Up, although the drums are not balanced across the stereo image, is quite a nice recording. Benefit isn't. Much like the original pre-remix Aqualung, it's devoid of drum impact and deficient in bass - always has been, even on Island UK copies. I'm sure Steven Wilson will sort it out, just like he did with the remixed Aqualung.

ParloFax and Keith V like this.
  11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I can agree with that :) The Stand Up mix I always thought was excellent....it breathes quite nicely...I remember hearing "We Used To Know" while I was half asleep and just picturing each musician in different parts of the room...some twice because of the overdubs :)

12. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

He finished the mixes on Benefit and Passion Play late last year, they've been delayed by the sale of EMI to Universal and the absorption process. They were originally scheduled for April and October this year.

13. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Anyone denying the resurrection of Aqualung that SW did is in denial. :cool:
    I am looking forward with great anticipation to Benefit.
    The only question I know of is whether a lossless version will be available.
    Hopefully since Universal is in charge that point will be moot.
    No lossless, no sale here.
    I know that might be cutting off my nose to spite my face but record company penny-wise, pound-foolishness torques my jaws.
    Look at the Yes and XTC releases. DVD-A AND Blu-ray sets!
    That's the way to do it.
    BTW, BD for me all the way.

14. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Vinyl? SACD?

Or just another cd?

carville likes this.
  15. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

and in English ?

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I can't wait for Benefit to show up in it's deluxe edition!

17. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I apologize for not having anything more constructive to say. Pardon my enthusiasm, but I put on the Steven Wilson Aqualung last night ... again. It flat out kicks ass! It is a ****ing masterpiece. So I'll be cuing up for Benefit and Passion Play as well, no question.

18. Is the Benefit deluxe edition supposed to be released on October 14? That's less than six weeks away. Has it popped up anywhere for pre-ordering yet?

19. Wait...Why would "Red" need to be released again? We already got a 40th anniversary edition from Wilson.

20. You're right we got a 4oth already but unlike the other Crimson 4oths' the Red 40th was never remixed. They didn't feel that they could improve upon the original mix. Now apparently they feel they can so they release it again!

21. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Lots of long-awaited goodies on this one, including the full-length verison of "17," the UK single version of "Teacher" and the mono version of "Witches Promise." It's about time we got this stuff on CD.

But what happened to "Just Trying to Be?" It's a great little B-side that was included on the 2001 remaster of this album, and now it's nowhere to be found on the tracklist. And it seems weird that Sweet Dream would be a bonus track on Disc 1, when it was already included as a bonus track on the 2010 Stand Up Deluxe Edition.

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Sweet Dreams was remixed, so at least it is a different version.

23. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

24. Runt

Runt Senior Member

From SW Facebook Page: Steven’s new stereo and surround mixes of Jethro Tull’s classic third album Benefit will be released on 28th October in a 3 disc CD/DVD and single vinyl edition. Also included are new mixes of all single A and B sides from the period, with the exception of The Witch’s Promise for which the multitrack tapes are missing (the original mix is included in both mono and stereo however). No mastering has been done to the remixes, and a flat transfer of the original stereo mix is also included.

1236414_623734297646836_1366982698_n.jpg

25. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Disregard. I just realized the original mix of "Just Trying to Be" was on Disc 2 of the 2011 Aqualung.

Keith V likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.