Jethro Tull - 'Benefit' and 'Passion Play' Remasters - any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil P, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

What's on the DVD?

Is it DVD-Audio or some footage from the era?

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

DVD-Audio. See post 58 of the other thread.

3. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

who did the thick as a brick deluxe? that one did not get the revies that the deluxe aqualung for. i really like the deluxe aqua

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Don't know about reviews but I loved the DE of TAAB. Early copies had a problem but that's been corrected, and the 5.1 is very nice. :edthumbs:

DonnyMe and Ed Hughes like this.
  5. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

That's a bit weird since it was remixed for the 25th Anniversary Box Set.

Keith V likes this.
  6. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I am curious about the differences between the latest deluxe Aqualung and TAAB, and how it relates to the these new Benefit and Passion releases. I thought that the latest Aqualung sounded terrific, and was poised to purchase the TAAB. However, the reviews here were so discouraging that I passed (I do own the MFSL). Yet people are enthusiastically awaiting the newest releases of Benefits and Passion? Was Steve Wilson not involved in the TAAB?

7. Wilson did the TAAB remix. There were a couple of glitches that happened after the product left Wilson's hands, apparently. These were fixed, and new copies sent to complaining customers. It sounds great to me, especially the 5.1 DVD.

8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

There was a lot of discussion about it

'Mastered by Peter Mew' was the abomination that killed the deluxe edition :shake:

izgoblin and Robobrewer like this.
  9. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

So there are hopes that the these new releases will more resemble the Aqualung?

10. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Which one do you like? The original or the replacement?

11. The replacement. "Yeah".

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

This will NOT contain a DVD Audio disc; just a plain stock standard DVD disc.

13. mneuliep

mneuliep Forum Resident

14. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Ordered. Here's hoping for a not-too-long delay for it's release date.

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have this title on pre-order.

16. patsdelight

patsdelight Forum Resident

Can't recall if it was actually a new mix from the multis. I dunno if you would say it was "remixed" so much as "overdubbed", which wouldn't require (necessarily) the original multis. I'm going from memory, though, so I could be wrong.

17. Doctor Flang

The disc was titled "REMIXED CLASSICS SONGS", and to my ears it definitely sounds remixed, altough not as radically as, say, Cross Eyed Mary of Teacher (thank God!).

18. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

This, Elton and McCartney.........:righton:

19. patsdelight

I know what it was titled, but the term "remixed" is used in a lot of different ways, you know? I was thinking that they mostly just had new drums (and bass?) mixed on top of some of the older tracks but, again, I might be mistaken, and I don't think I want to suffer through listening to that CD again to find out. ;-)

I guess it's just as probable that the multitrack was lost in the 20 years between that remix and this one. Either way, it's kind of a shame - not that the original mix is horrible, or anything, but it would have been nice to see what Steve Wilson could have done with it.

20. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

No doubt it will be better than 'Thick As A Brick'. This 'Benefit' set won't even be mastered! Steven Wilson's mixes straight to your system :righton:

21. Doctor Flang

It has the original instrumentation for sure, but differently mixed. It has delay and more reverb on vocals. I listened to the disc today and some of it sound absolutely horrible, especially the snare drum. Anyway, Witches Promise is ok in my opinion.

Agree.

22. patsdelight

Thanks for saving me the trouble! ;-)

23. Doctor Flang

:wave:It was quite funny listening to some it. I remember hating it with all the passion of the purist, but Sweet Dreams, Living in the Past and Witches Promise sounded ok. Life's a Long Song has programmed drums, which are more tasteful (IMO) than what Barrie did originally. :hide: Nevertheless, i still prefer the original, of course.

24. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Just preordered Benefit today from WOW HD. Got 15% off of $18.99 and free shipping. Couldn't find it cheaper. The 15% sale right now is when you purchase 3 of almost anything, so also preordered the 2CD Moondance remaster and a Monk/Coltrane CD I should have bought years ago.

25. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Anyone know if this will be released as a single disc, or at least a double for those who don't need the DVD-A?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.