Jethro Tull 'Benefit' - New Steve Wilson stereo and 5.1 remixes*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I enjoyed the 5.1 mix, but on certain tracks (like "Nothing To Say"), it seemed like Ian's voice in the center channel was a little overpowering. Maybe I need to adjust my settings a bit? After checking out the surround version, I went for some of the alternate takes on disc 2 and it was really interesting to hear some of this material in mono. I wouldn't necessarily want to hear it this way all the time, but I'm glad they included it here (though all those versions of "Teacher" may have been overkill!).

The liner notes appear to be quite copious and enlightening--I just scratched the surface last night. I tend to view Benefit as being something of a transitional effort for Tull on their way towards their signature sound, so I'm not entirely surprised by the mixed feelings on the part of the band, but albums like that can be fascinating. I also dig a lot of the non-album material from this phase, so it was definitely a fruitful period for them.

jsayers and Plan9 like this.
  2. I just checked. 256 kbps.

3. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Thanks. So to answer the folddown question above it appears there are two, "Teacher" (US version) and "A Time For Everything?" which were both used on single releases. It also appears that none of the later stereo mixes from Living In The Past were used.

5. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

They're releasing a vinyl of the remix.

6. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

If you're used to watching TV/movies through your surround setup, you're likely to have the volume of your center channel up pretty high (as most dialogue comes from the center channel). If you turn it down it'll probably sound better.

jsayers and Sordel like this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree. However.....I hope he does Stand Up at some point.

8. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Steve Wilson remixing Genesis? Ho Baby! Wouldn't that be nice!

ti-triodes, pscreed and ponkine like this.
  9. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Did anyone notice the DVD authoring ?

[​IMG]

:righton:

izgoblin likes this.
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, Ray Shulman of Gentle Giant. ;)

freemanl likes this.
  11. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

One of my absolute favorite bassists' and multi instrumentalists' musician ! :)

freemanl, DonnyMe and Plan9 like this.
  12. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That's actually the title that I wish he'd do next, not Passion play. Even though there was a DE a few years ago, it wasn't mixed in surround <only the 2nd live disc was> plus it wasn't mixed by Steven Wilson. :)

13. Tristero

I wouldn't hold my breath. That would basically be admitting that the last round were a disaster, wouldn't it?

Now Gentle Giant remixes may be a possibility. . .

DonnyMe and Plan9 like this.
  14. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Genesis' last round of remixes are good, they just run hot.
    The latest Gentle Giant remasters sound good to me too. But sure, the Steve W. treatment would be great for those as well.

15. Tristero

I rather liked the live Genesis box, which featured some of the best 5.1 mixes in the series. I also enjoyed a lot of the bonus materials we got with the DVD's, so it wasn't a complete loss, but they definitely lacked Wilson's magic touch on the remixes, IMO.

I agree that the recent GG remasters have been excellent--especially Octopus and Three Friends--but I'd love to hear SW have a shot at some surround action there. He really has done a lot to revitalize the format.

16. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this. I'm not crazy for remixes (though they are interesting to hear), but I'm very interested in disc 2 - plus I like what I've read hear about the informative liner notes. Ordered it and "Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick and a Passion Play: Inside Two Long Songs" by Timothy J Smolko to meet the new $35 amazon minimum :)

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I would really love it if Stand Up got this same treatment, the Deluxe Edition sucks.

howlinrock likes this.
  18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Is Dennis Blackham the same bloke who mastered Who's Next for Track originally (Bilbo)?

19. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Do the liner notes bring the recording dates of the songs on the Album? Thanks

20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yes.

I've got to give huge kudos for the booklet, it's fantastic.

21. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Can you post the dates?

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, thanks...

23. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

+1

My copy was shipped by ImportCD's yesterday so it will be a good weeks wait before the stagecoach gets into Dodge City! And I promised myself I wasn't going to read this thread until then. Oh well....

24. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

The last round of Genesis sacds WERE a disaster.

Moonchild, ti-triodes and ponkine like this.
  25. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

The 5.1 mixes are just awesome. I never imagined "Benefit"could sound like this. Another home run by Steven Wilson.

jerrygene likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.