Jethro Tull 'Benefit' - New Steve Wilson stereo and 5.1 remixes*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

My bad. I was thinking of By Kind Permission of

2. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Why wasn't Stand Up (the best of Tull's initial trifecta) given this same treatment?! :wantsome:

I mean...SWEET!!!!!! Guess my Christmas present....to myself....comes a bit early this year. :)

Todd W. likes this.
  3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I will definitely get the vinyl edition. Now I'm wishing they'd release SW's remix of CTTE on vinyl too.

4. Because its mix was OK to begin with.

Agent57 likes this.
  5. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I think Benefit rocks more than Stand Up.

jsayers and Todd W. like this.
  6. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Because the mix is OK, we don't get all of the other goodies? One lame duck on the wall.

7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

x2

8. patsdelight

patsdelight Forum Resident

I think you're thinking of "By Kind Permission Of".

9. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I'm guessing Steven Wilson came into the picture with Tull, after 'Stand Up' was already done.

playbass likes this.
  10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I would love for SW to give Stand Up a 5.1 mix, until then, the MFSL will have to do.

jsayers likes this.
  11. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Well, that looks pretty awesome! Definitely psyched for this, as it is my favorite Tull album.

It is a little too bad, as far as I can understand, that the surround sound will only be in DTS and Dolby, but whatever. But the thing I'm really curious about: it has the original mixes in 96/24, but does it have the new Steven Wilson mix in 96/24? I'm assuming it will, but it doesn't quite make that clear, does it?

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I would welcome Stand Up in surround as well, but didn't I read in one of the threads here that the master tapes for this one weren't available? I could be mistaken about that. . .

13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

All day long.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The 24/96 stereo remix will be on the DVD with the 5.1 mix and the flat transfer of the original mix.

15. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

If the stereo remix will be present in 96/24, that is most excellent. Thanks.

16. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

What a package!! (No codpiece jokes please...)

I will be buying this. My fave Tull album!

17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Hopefully someone will find them, then. :)

18. It's funny how it is a lot of fans' favorite Tull album. Surely it is one of my own favorites too, and I prefer it vastly to "Stand Up" for instance. They apparently struck a cord somehow with "Benefit", perhaps emotionally, that Ian Anderson never seemed to be able to grasp himself (hasn't he been around saying he hates it for ages?)... I recall vividly the album cover when it landed in the racks in 1970; I loved it because it was the first time you could see the members of the group clearly, playing "live", on their albums (no disguise, no cartoon), and IA looked both cool and insane to me with his "bare legs (kilted?) outfit"!

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It is the wording that got me: "DTS & Dolby Digital 5.1 & stereo". I thought the stereo was Dolby.

I'm still traumatised by the Caravan Deluxe where SW mixes are only available in Dolby!

20. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/sw-remixes-jethro-tulls-benefit/
    Steven’s new stereo and surround mixes of Jethro Tull’s classic third album Benefit will be released on 28th October in a 3 disc CD/DVD and single vinyl edition. Also included are new mixes of all single A and B sides from the period, with the exception of The Witch’s Promise for which the multitrack tapes are missing (the original mix is included in both mono and stereo however). No mastering has been done to the remixes, and a flat transfer of the original stereo mix is also included.

21. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

I'm liking that I get to buy this on vinyl--again...:agree: :sigh:

Sure to sound super sweet, finally...:righton:

But what should I do with my other vinyl pressings?: US Reprise WLP, US Reprise two-tone, US Chrysalis Green and ???, UK Chrysalis Green, German Island Palm--with and without unique gate-fold, Japanese Chrysalis and, what am I forgetting////:confused:

This is madness:help:, my precious, but I LOVE :love: this record!!!

:tiphat:

22. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

Although I find it odd that there is no mastering done at all, I'm very glad to see that Peter Mew was not given the opportunity to ruin this mix like he tragically did to Thick as a Brick. Maybe I can allow myself to be excited about these two upcoming remixes now after my huge let down following TAAB.

ponkine and izgoblin like this.
  23. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Hilarious! Let me predict what you will do with all of those older pressings.......

.......magic eight-ball says........"keeping them"! (Not because they are better than the new pressing, just because if you have kept that damn many of them, I can't see you letting go of them now!)

mrbillswildride likes this.
  24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Awesome!!!

However, I'm really bummed that "Witch's Promise" isn't one of the bonus tracks appended to the main album. I know it can be found lost among the tracks on the bonus disc, but it's the most essential non-album track from Benefit and should be on the main album, even if it can't be remixed.

Ray29 likes this.
  25. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I'm with you on that. And although it was Ben Wiseman on the Hawkwind set rather than Peter Mew, that made two SW remixes that I can't listen to. Now I worry every time I see one of these announced that someone is going to come along and spoil Wilson's work and waste my money again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.