Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

2. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

Amazon.com has reduced the price of my order, it was 45, now 40

Todd W. and slipkid like this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Cool. I really think it will dip lower too, even if only for a few days, to around $30 or so...

jeffgt14 likes this.
  4. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Well, I got my Aqualung 2011 40th Anniversary edition a couple of days ago, and wouldn't you know it - the blu ray won't play. Just like others have stated. And it was brand new (or unopened, at least) as well - took the shrink wrap off and everything. Now I'm going to have to send it back to the guy I bought it from on eBay and pay for the shipping I'm sure. This pisses me off to be honest. I was even willing to overlook the glitches if they were minor. This kind of shoddy manufacturing is uncalled for for a disc only six and a half years old. I buy movies on blu all the time - some older than 2011 and I've never had one which wouldn't play. The menu comes on for about 22 seconds with the Chrysalis logo and then it just stops. So no refunds were ever given for these sets years ago? They just came up with a new one sans the vinyl and made you buy it all over again - or were there refunds given? Not that it helps me any as I got if from eBay...

5. Trainspotting

OK, now I was just looking online to see if I could just get the adapted edition, which is only four discs - and it looks like they dispensed with the blu ray entirely? Instead, you get two DVDs. Wtf?

6. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I've heard many reports of the glitches on the Aqualung blu, but very few of them not playing. Mine still plays. Do you have most current firmware on your player? Have you tried it on another player?

JediJoker likes this.
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They switched to DVDs like for the other Tull booksets, but you get more content than on the Blu-Ray and all errors are corrected.

bobcat, JediJoker, JulesRules and 2 others like this.
  8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Really?? For a 5 disc box set. I paid £19.99 for the Song From The Wood set and for once I felt like I was ripping them off.

£30 seems really acceptable to me.....these sets are really lovingly put together... I'm just a casual Tull fan but these sets are critical....just as well your not a Roxy Music fan.....£130 for 4 discs.

9. Trainspotting

I don't even know what firmware is - but the player is from 2015, four years after the blu was made. It should play. I've got over a hundred blu ray discs and they all play fine.

10. JimW

Firmware is part of the software of the machine that helps it operate correctly. You're correct that it's unlikely to fix a problem disc that is that old, but if it was me, I'd def give it a try. If your player connects via wireless and/or ethernet (which I'd be surprised if it didn't), updating the firmware (if indeed there is an update, possibly not) should be simple.

If it were me, I'd also try the disc in another player- just to make sure. If you don't have another one, try a friend's. It's just quite a bit of money to just give up on, imo. I'd try every option, but that's just me.

You also have the dvd. If it's the 5.1 mix you're mainly interested in, the DTS mix on that dvd should be pretty much the same as the one in the new set. It would have the glitches, but those are pretty insignificant imo. They don't affect my enjoyment of the music at all.

Just trying to help out- I LOVE that 5.1 mix. But of course you are free to ignore it if you don't find it helpful.

JediJoker likes this.
  11. Trainspotting

Yeah, I looked up firmware after you mentioned it. But it's the principle of the situation which bugs me. They couldn't manufacture the blu ray correctly (glitches, and now this not-playing thing), so they just gave up on it and put the info on DVD. I'd rather get my money back. And I don't have another blu ray player anyway.

12. JimW

I don't think that was the case at all. It was more like they wanted the release to be available to more people- and likely wanted to have Aqualung available in a bookset like all the other albums.

Again, I've heard VERY few reports of the blu becoming unplayable- and never heard anyone who couldn't get it to play at first.

If you can get your $ back, that's cool. But I hope you check out the dvd before you send it back. The 5.1 mix is awesome.

JediJoker likes this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The mind boggles, doesn't it?!?! :laugh:

14. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

pathetic!!

15. Almost Simon

Fair point. Perhaps as SFTW was the first set I bought. Came in at that rate and assumed the same again . Fair question to ask though seeing as the last one was cheaper. Any particular reason why SFTW was that price and this one more?

16. Almost Simon

There's no need for that, bit rude.

JulesRules, lordfalconer and JimW like this.
  17. Yes, your post is...

JulesRules and JimW like this.
  18. JimW

LOL. Way to turn that table!

JulesRules and Pete Puma like this.
  19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Was only a low price for a short period and then went up to the £30 mark. Marketing I guess. Assume shops/Amazon made no or little profit to attract customers.

Actually most shops I saw it in were selling in the £26-28 pound bracket, but online it was cheaper.

Almost Simon likes this.
  20. Almost Simon

Thanks, i wasn't aware. Well certainly got me interested in these sets.

21. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I do get your point, but compared to what other bands are selling deluxe sets at, I think Tull are offering great value for money. Take a look at the price of recent Eagles, Queen and the aforementioned upcoming Roxy Music deluxe sets. £80, £110 and £130 respectively. All of which I consider not affordable to the majority but simply just a complete rip off. I currently have 7 of these Tull sets and the entire lot cost me less than £160.

22. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

For £30+ these sets are a bloody steal. I wasn't even much of a fan before these sets came out, now I've got the lot and love the band. They are the gold standard for how these things should be done.

bobcat, Runicen, granata and 9 others like this.
  23. JimW

These Tull sets are far and away the best value of any of these deluxe reissues. Not only do they cost much less than most of the big boxes, they actually have more (and better) content than almost all of them.

bobcat, Bonddm, Pete Puma and 5 others like this.
  24. Almost Simon

Oh i'm not arguing the price when you compare to the other acts, for sure, i was simply comparing the price the previous release which to my eyes at least was available for quite a while at a lower price. I assumed that was a given for these sets and they'd raised for this one only. Clear now.

25. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Sorry Simon, seems you got the brunt of the majority of those posts here today...nothing personal intended....you can tell we have all been ripped off by various bands/deluxe sets in the past, can't you? So when we actually get value for money, we're a defensive lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.