Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Its ridiculous that we even have to argue about that here...
    and especially the phrase "Rip off" :sigh:

Bonddm likes this.
  2. Robin Redbreast

Robin Redbreast Well-Known Member

For my debut post here I’ll state up front that I’m a casual fan of Tull for many years and an ardent follower for only a few. Last year’s “Songs From The Wood” set was my introduction to the ‘booksets’ series. Like many here I’m very excited about the forthcoming “Heavy Horses” set, especially as it’s quite possibly my favourite Tull album. I’m slowly collecting the rest of the booksets (“A Passion Play” and “Minstrel In The Gallery” arrived today). I wondered if anyone here knows whether or not “This Was” and “Thick As A Brick” will ever get the bookset treatment?

Plan9 and tinnox like this.
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I too hope for a This Was release. Thick as a Brick has already had a bookset release, it's just hard to find.

tinnox likes this.
  4. Robin Redbreast

5. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I guess I can't start a conversation w/ you since you're new, so have to do it here...

You probably don't know, but the 1st version of TAAB had some mastering flaws that resulted in a replacement program. I have one of the flawed discs that you can have for free if you wish. (I got it for free from @prognastycator- along with a copy of the corrected version which didn't play in his machine- but sounds awesome in mine!)

Let me know if you want that.

Pete Puma likes this.
  6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Others have pointed out the TAAB bookset exists (it was actually the first one issued). Be advised that, unlike all the other booksets, TAAB does not include any bonus tracks - just a remix of the original album.

7. Robin Redbreast

Tbh, I’m seriously considering spending silly money on getting the “TAAB” bookset. I love the album that much. I just don’t want it to be reissued at a cheaper price! Has such a thing ever happened with any of the other sets? I noticed “Aqualung” was re-released in an adapted edition (if only to remedy some technical glitches with the original Blu-ray).

8. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Many of the Wilson remixes have also been released as single CDs in jewel cases. Most lack bonus material, but there are exceptions.

I've seen reports of a single-disc rerelease of a corrected Brick. Because I'm lazy and already have the bookset, I downloaded the album from HDtracks.

9. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

To complete the set, I paid over £130 for the Thick as a Brick special last year - left me feeling Thick as a Brick (and skint) but just had to have it. I've ordered Heavy Horses and just hope Wilson also does Stormwatch - which I think is a little underrated. Not sure I'd be overly concerned about anymore after that though.

But these 40th anniversary sets Tull have put other bands to shame - they've been done with a lot of love and care (IMHO)

bobcat, Vaughan, geodos and 3 others like this.
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They have. :agree:

bobcat, Kim Olesen, Runicen and 3 others like this.
  11. Robin Redbreast

I wonder why “TAAB” was so limited! Shame. I’ve looked at photos and it looks like a lovely item to own.

I totally agree that (for the price) the Tull sets are the gold standard for this sort of thing. As a Crimson fan I also think that their recent sets (although much more expensive) deserve a special mention.

I think I’ve read that Wilson is confirmed for “Stormwatch”. But I could be wrong. I love that album too. In fact I also have a real soft spot for the “A”, “Broadsword” and “Under Wraps” albums too. It’s “Crest” onwards where I struggle. I also love the Christmas album.

Instant Dharma, Snow2 and tinnox like this.
  12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

You are not alone in hoping this set is re-issued, and if sense prevails, then a re-issue will appear at some point.....there seems to be a demand still.

Being the first set and as a casual Tull fan, I was a little underwhelmed when it came out by the general lack additional material......and then it seemed dogged with problems.......so I didn't pick it up........of course at that point we had no idea what a wonderful series this was going to turn into, and like yourself I am missing this title.

However at some of the prices I have seen for this set, it will remain a gap until it is re-issued......and if it isn't....life goes on.

JulesRules likes this.
  13. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

The main man, for research and project co-0rdination, Tim Chacksfield deserves the highest praise. A helluva great guy. Tull world is a better place because of Tim.

14. Robin Redbreast

Just watched a TAAB set go for £182 on eBay! :shake::yikes:

Norco74 likes this.
  15. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'd definitely buy a reissued TAAB set, but I'm not paying 100+ pounds for one. It's the only box I don't have.

FVDnz, Haggis Wampovich and tinnox like this.
  16. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Really, was it brand new wrapped or used?

Still can figure out when I will unwrap mine! :shh:

17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Wilson is doing A and Broadsword too I think. Hope he does all the 80s albums. Make them sound like 70s albums with more youthful vocals :D

18. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Broadsword should be one huge set. There are more outtakes than what made it to the album. At least if you combine the stuff from Nightcap and all the bonustracks from the Broadsword remaster.

electronicpaperboy and Runicen like this.
  19. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Nothing is confirmed so far with SW and Jethro Tull. It might be that This Was comes after Heavy Horses.
    SW will do for sure Stormwatch, and he said was keen on Broadsword but has said nothng regarding A.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Galeans and Todd W. like this.
  20. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

Yeah there are 14 already released outtakes plus at least two unreleased tracks in “Dj” and “Dinasaur”. It should be quite a feasting.:D

Kim Olesen likes this.
  21. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

And, as i’ve said before, just let me have a go on Under Wraps....

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

SHUT UP! If that's announced, my head will explode.... it's the one I'm dying for, a favorite of mine.

If I recall correctly, it was mentioned that the Thick as a Brick set was released either side of a label change, hence, it sort of fell through the cracks. I have the set, but it pains me to know so many want it and are unable to get it for a decent price . I certainly get no pleasure from knowing my copy is worth a lot more than I paid fo it.

Perhaps one day someone will see sense and do something about it (a reissue).

bobcat, JulesRules and Mirsset like this.
  23. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Should be around 30 tracks. I'm most excited about what Wilson can do with some of the drums tracks though. A consistently good drum sound over the 30 tracks would make this the best of the remixes imo

Carserguev and Kim Olesen like this.
  24. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I would be a happy man with Stormwatch and Broadsword.........I don't really need A, at all.

25. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

£30 too pricey ? I would not complain if it was £45..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.