Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'd put forward the idea (and I feel I've said this before) that A might get a well-deserved re-examination if it were given a decent remix. The existing one sounds kind of flaccid and muddy to me.

2. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Please don't go there again. I've already explained this above - posts #1015 & 1024. :sigh:

3. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

A is cool.

electronicpaperboy likes this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

A and Under Wraps apparently need to be reassessed.

Runicen, Todd W., tootull and 5 others like this.
  5. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Something you're not saying Thomas? :shh: :winkgrin:

6. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Under wraps does :D

That snare is way too tinny and the kick drum way too loud. The remaster made these even worse by increasing the high and low frequencies. I’d rather keep the original drum track and just give them a good equalizer and volume treatment. Can some cymbal work be added? With Broadsword. Eq and volume alteration and take some of the reverb out of the drums also ;)

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  7. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Regarding Stormwatch, that song Dark Ages - was Old Aces, Die Hard an early song that soon progressed towards the Dark Ages track?! I'm getting some familiarity while listening to DA.

And A may as well be remixed if Wilson has indeed expressed interest in remixing Broadsword.

8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Agreed but for me Rock Island is where things get dicey. Even though its pretty good it just doesnt have any songs as strong as Farm on the Freeway or Budapest.

Plan9 likes this.
  9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I am ready to discard all my Chrysalis remaster for the Deluxe editions to come. If it stops with UW I will be satisfied.

PROGGER likes this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

What?you guys don’t want Dot Com in 5.1?

tinnox, tootull and Keith V like this.
  11. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I’d get Doane Perry in to re-do the drum parts. You can always retain the original mix on the DVD

12. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

There’s plenty of live material available for bonus material if they decide to do A.

footlooseman likes this.
  13. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Nah wouldn’t feel right with drums added 40 years later. Different era of sound. I think the original Ludwig samples can be fixed a lot

14. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Would be good. Not fussed if the 90s albums aren’t included though. The 60-80s songs would benefit most from the remixes. But if there are new bonus tracks included then I’m in :D. Think there are supposed to be a few extras from Dotcom and Roots

15. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

That would be a Mango Surprise. :winkgrin: Would love El Niño in 5.1 & A Gift of Roses too.

Runicen, freemanl, aoxomoxoa and 2 others like this.
  16. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The original title was in fact "Dark Ages"; when the SFTW set was being prepared for release, Ian re-named the track to avoid confusion. I think it contains a few kernels of ideas that later surfaced on the Stormwatch "Dark Ages," but it's probably not a linear progression between the two songs. (A chunk of it evolved into "Living In These Hard Times.")

FVDnz and Plan9 like this.
  17. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

not it has absolutely nothing to do with the Stormwatch Dark Ages. Not even ideas.

18. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

But there is a discarded early Dark ages form the first Stormwatch session I hope they include.

footlooseman and hugo.polo like this.
  19. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

According to Doane Perry, the first versions of Dangerous veils was pretty wild. Bu those takes might be discarded.

20. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

Yes this. I don’t really love how the final arrangement turned out on Stormwatch, but I expect the early version to be much better, based on the live recordings from the era.

21. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

I'm afraid those two songs exactly marked the turn off for me and Tull, although I did still buy all new material, out of habit more than anything else, and see them live of course, but the magic had gone. The knowing wit, (maybe tongue in cheek) or clever lyrics no more, the Englishness (Freeway for God sake?) evaporated, the killer melodies that could bring an emotional tear to your eye not there again.

They were just long dull plodding songs which persisted in their live sets, a low point of Tull gigs Crest of a Knave and beyond, for me at any rate.

22. DreamTull

DreamTull Well-Known Member

isn't it time to establish the new This Was 50th Anniversary edition thread? :pineapple:

hazard likes this.
  23. Robin Redbreast

Robin Redbreast Well-Known Member

I’d like to talk more Tull but much of it would probably be off this particular topic. Is there a JT forum you can recommend? I’ve looked at a few and nine of them seem to be as friendly or as informative as folk on this thread.

24. tootull

25. tootull

Jethro Tull: Heavy Horses (Parlophone/Chrysalis 0190295757915)
    Reissues (Jan 22): Jethro Tull, Jah Wobble and James Carr
    Jethro Tull's 10th and final Top 20 album in the first decade of their career, Heavy Horses dates from 1978, and thus marks its 40th birthday and the band's 50th as a chart force via the release of this hefty 'New Shoes' edition, a box set which features the original album in a new Steven Wilson mix, additional associated studio recordings and live material spread across three CDs, and 2 DVDs loaded with 5.1 surround mixes and 96/24 PCM stereo upgrades. Heavy Horses was the second in a trilogy of albums released by Jethro Tull which blended their more usual prog. rock sound with the folk flavourings of their early years, and is thus more melodic and accessible than some of their work. It is also highly regarded by the band's faithful fan base, although it failed to generate any hit singles. Leader Ian Anderson wrote all the songs and is on top form both vocally and with his flute, especially on Moths - which is a little redolent of early Cat Stevens - the beguiling No Lullaby and the lengthy title track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.