Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Sounding more defined but less exciting.

2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Thank goodness.

wileycoyote, tootull and dylan1974 like this.
  3. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

Don't delay. SFTW has gone OOP, prices are getting eye watering for any remaining stock but for such a recent pressing you may strike lucky, there maybe a few still knocking around.

Ed Hughes and Galeans like this.
  4. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

This remix is magnificient.
    I'm quite speechless and full of joy while listening to this New Shoes edition.
    Btw. Does anybody know if there are strings on Acres Wild?
    I know that Darryl Way plays on this track but there are also string sounds (for example at circa 2:40) which I'm not sure if are orchestra strings or Darryl' s violin. Can someone clarify? :)

Keith V likes this.
  5. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I'm holding off on listening with exception of "...And the Mouse Police Never Sleeps" (have backlog since i discovered Joni Mitchell and The Police :D). I can already tell that i'm in for a treat.

6. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

ROVER is my favourite Tull song too.

THE perfect pop melody

7. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I only have the original mix (I’ll pick up the single disc when it comes out next month) but I hear strings at that part. Could be Way overdubbed more than one violin but I can’t be sure either. As I write this, I realize I’m no help but for the fact I hear Real Strings, not an ARP or an organ or something synthetic.

Mirsset likes this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think it is multiple parts from Way, in fact I think both Evans and Palmer sat out that song. But I don't have the remix yet either.

Keith V likes this.
  9. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Sounds almost like his post 87 voice.

ParloFax likes this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Looking fwd to a Stormwatch deluxe (the Katrina edition?).

Although I'll buy anything else they throw at us (including the My God-awful Under Wraps - maybe we can get a version with real drums recorded in place of the electronic ones) I'd really like to see a deluxe reissue of Crest of a Knave (the Metallica edition?) and Broadsword (the Cheerio edition?).

11. bullygoat

bullygoat Forum Resident

I agree that this is really well done. For me personally I find that with Heavy Horses the extreme clarity and instrument separation sounds a little artificial: more like a collection of instruments rather than a group playing music. This is a personal reflection and not a criticism. Most people will definitely prefer this one. I also felt that Mr Wilson did not really change anything with this one, whereas with (for example) Too Old To R&R he created a much different album. On one hand this is ideal, but makes it less interesting as an alternative version. For the live album, it quickly grew on me and I listened to the whole thing right through. I especially liked the little extra chunks that were cut out on previous releases. For me it made a big difference in my enjoyment of the concert. Great release!

DaverJ and Pete Puma like this.
  12. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

He only remixed Side Two of "Too Old". The main program consists of an alternate version of the album, recorded for a TV special.

Deek57 and Plan9 like this.
  13. craig leonard

craig leonard Forum Resident

Looking forward to their answer. Got mine over the weekend, same exact problem. I don't remember this widespread of a "marring" problem before that affected so many discs.

Would have thought some level of quality control would have caught it.

Outside of the problem, great set. I wish all my favorite bands went to this effort in their re-releases (Obviously my avatar band does).

14. Kim Olesen

Well it was a different album. It was a whole alternative recording.

ti-triodes and Plan9 like this.
  15. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

But it was you that said: "Even in the early 1970s, Ian was criticized for using the same canned banter every night," so, hearing the same spoken introductions to songs does not prove they are the same renditions.

Also, the missing "yeah" at the end of Thick as a Brick was very far from inconsequential, nor did its absence have anything to do with Steve Wilson.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Which "poppy soundtracks"?

Galeans and anth67 like this.
  17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Warchild and Too old

18. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

What irritates me the most is material that's made available on blu-ray only. I don't want a bloody blu-ray player! I don't have room for one, and I prefer to listen to CDs in the car because it suits my tastes and lifestyle. So for all the choice stuff that ends up on blu-ray only, I just have to pretend it doesn't exist.

What I would pay a whopping $40 for is for a recording I dearly wanted on a CD instead of a blu-ray disc.

Keith V and ParloFax like this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Tbf, Blu-Ray players are backward compatible, so your DVD's play on them just fine. That said, these sets are on DVD, and they'll stay that way, it was an economic decision made early one, as I recall. Either way, not having Blu-Ray doesn't hurt these at all.

20. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I forgot that this earth has endless recources so that I can throw away my perfectly working dvd players to buy the next electronic junk.
    WAKE UP.

The first JT Blu Ray release is the first one I won't be buying

Galeans likes this.
  21. peteham

peteham Senior Member

That doesn’t actually relate to this thread. But I see your point. I am trying to think of an example where that has happened.

22. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

The Concert of Kings edition.

Runicen and sound chaser like this.
  23. The SW XTC sets are a good example of songs only available on BluRay.

Runicen likes this.
  24. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

He'd say the same kind of thing night after night, for example talking about how he would only slightly spank John Glascock with a riding crop. The wording and intonation would change from show to show; they weren't playing a prerecorded tape. But some of the song intros are not just the same words, they are indistinguishable from the Bursting Out song intros.

Didn't someone here say that the "yeah" wasn't even on the original album, and first showed up on the first CD versions in the 1980s? I found a vinyl rip on YouTube with no "yeah," and several seconds of post-song surface noise where the "yeah" should have been:

Keith V and Carserguev like this.
  25. Kim Olesen

The introductions could easily be from one tape and the following song from another. Bursting Out was put together from many shows according to Ian. Not that much music came from the Berne show even if most of the introductions did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.