Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

Man, to me Heavy Horses is a perfect album the way it is. I wouldn't change a thing. Stormwatch though, I'll make some changes to. I always thought that album a bit spotty. But with bonus material like Crossword, A Stitch in Time and Kelpie it's gonna be killer like the rest of them.;)

Crush Everything and Galeans like this.
  2. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

That’s the great thing about tull. So many bonus tracks and usually such good quality

Crush Everything likes this.
  3. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

And Broadford Bazaar as the 'Outside The Wall'-style closer.

Crush Everything and hugo.polo like this.
  4. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

I don't know, I think these three albums are perfect the way they are: the extra stuff is just the icing on the cake. This said, I can't wait to hear what is lurking on the "Stormwatch" tapes.

I'm sure I posted this already a couple of times but since it's great, I'm posting it again. Here's Tull in the studio recording the early version of "Dark Ages" with John Glascock on bass. I can't wait to hear this full version on the Stormwatch box.

Also, I'm pretty sure we won't have "4WD" and the 1978 "Sweet Dream" on "Stormwatch" because, as already mentioned, they are just backing tracks. Who knows if they tried to re-record more complete versions during the "Stormwatch" era, though?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    ti-triodes, Runicen and Pete Puma like this.
  5. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Horses has the more gems amongst the 2 original albums and Stormwatch the more gems amongst the bonus tracks. Both are awesome. Songs from the wood with Old aces is equally strong. Too old with it’s great extras and A are not far behind. Probably equally great as the 70-74 period with the extras included

6. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

I’d still like them to release the 4wd backing track cause that riff is catchy as hell, but the lyrics are a bit lame. As far as the early version of Dark Ages, it sounds great. Also the live version on “Songs from the Wooden Grammophone” bootleg. The Stormwatch book is bound to be full of riches!

7. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Not a fan of his live mixes. It's like he never heard the band play live.

JulesRules and ti-triodes like this.
  8. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Did someone say that A Town In England is on one of the DVDs somewhere, as well as being on one of th CDs? I haven’t stumbled across it on the DVDs yet.

9. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Martin Barre mentioned at the time that they recorded an album worth of material so there must be some more too that hasn't been released yet!

It won't play by itself, it's hidden as an easter egg. Select the Steven Wilson mixes in the associated recordings and move the cursor until it selects a horseshoe that's down right in the screen.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  10. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Nice. Hopefully. They said the same about Too old also but we only got half the extras while the other material got lost by the sounds of it

11. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

He said that in 2017; things may have been pushed back. The anniversary tour book includes announcements for the 50 for 50 compilation in May and This Was in October or November, but no mention of Stormwatch. Even if it's delayed until next year, it would still be in time for the album's 40th anniversary.

12. Sweet Dream does actually fit the mood of Stormwatch quite well -particularly the live arrangement.

Daniel Falaschi likes this.
  13. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

My information is that nothing got actually "lost" but some tracks only survive in premixes, like the full version of "A Small Cigar" (or the early studio "One Brown Mouse" before they found it). "Advertising Man", the track you are longing to hear, has been found but it's a backing track without vocals so it was veoted. Perhaps someday all of that stuff will see the light of the day but I won't hold my breath.

14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Have given a listen to this on foot of your comments and I promise you, there’s nothing even remotely Irish about this.

If anything, it’s approaching British folk music, with a touch of Steeleye Span or Pentangle but with no real authenticity about it and not half as well played. Sounds as though he’d been giving Alan Stivell a listen too.

But Irish? Not a chance.

sound chaser and Deek57 like this.
  15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

They haven't released more than 2 booksets in any given year so far. Heavy Horses is out now and later this year it's time for This Was, so I don't expect Stormwatch coming out until 2019.

16. That's what I was afraid of when they first floated a new release of This Was. I do understand the whole anniversary date significance that they are going for (50th and 40th anniversaries).

Kim Olesen likes this.
  17. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Re 4WD and Sweet Dream 78 instrumental backing tracks. This is one occasion where i wouldn’t mind the vocal being lifted from the originals and frankensteined on to the 78 recordings (if they are the same key ofcourse)

I’d rather have a (good) frankensteined version, than not having it at all. As long as it’s tasteful done so it’s not noticable.

@tootull @Plan9

hugo.polo likes this.
  18. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

There’s really nothing to be afraid of. In the past ten years, we’ve had 1-2 reissues of all studio albums from 1968-1978.
    • 40th Anniversary editions of This Was and Stand Up have been replaced with versions with Wilson’s involvement. Hopefully the former will have the missing early singles and original mono and stereo mixes in hi res.
    • Every album was re-released on a 40th Anniversary, except Benefit and A Passion Play, which were released in between anniversay releases
    • Wilson had initially projected working up to Stormwatch, and later said through Broadsword and the Beast.
    • A willingness to reissue This Was, Stand Up, and Aqualung to bring into the book/DVD/CD format and/or correct masterings and errors bodes well for Thick As A Brick on Universal.
    • “Witches Promise” was remixed for the 1993 25th Anniversary cigar box. I suppose a Benefit book edition re-release would come out once they find those multitracks, and include Carnegie Hall, thus paving the way for...
    • ...a super deluxe Living In The Past
    In the four year span of 2019-2022, that gives us six possible releases if they stick to 4oth anniversaries for the 1979-82 studio albums. Not bad!

JulesRules, FVDnz, shadlet and 3 others like this.
  19. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

And, naturally, while we're all chewing our fingernails in anxiety for the announcement of the Stormwatch reissue to come, we'll almost immediately pivot and wonder when the A reissue will be announced right after we receive our shipping notifications for it.

Sometimes the hunt is the most pleasurable part... :winkgrin:

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Wouldn't you rather have them as instrumentals, as they were recorded?

showtaper, Six Bachelors and Galeans like this.
  21. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

The chances of them being in the same exact tempo are slim. Of course they could manipulate the tempo of the vocal track, but maybe that’s going a bit too far. But the Beatles did it on Strawberry Fields Forever and others so maybe it’s ok.

22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

If the choice is between not having them or having them with the vocals lifted from another version then i’d rather have them with vocals.

And thinking about what you really ask..... if you ask me what will give me most “relistening value” then it would be a version with vocals. Instrumental versions i will listen to once out of curiosity.

Can i give an example: The new Jimi Hendrix release has an early instrumental version of Angel. Heard it once but it just seems like an unfinished piece. Much the same way that the rest of A Town In England probably did.

But all that being said this is just my oppinion.

23. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

I don't think there's a chance either way. But who knows: I've been wrong before :)

Kim Olesen likes this.
  24. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Well Irish music is all I can think of when I hear it lol

25. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Some folky and ecclectics feel to it but as for labeling it as Iris you better off with this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.