Jethro Tull: Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Sep 17, 2015.

1. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

With This Was in the future that makes 11 Tull remixes. A Storm Watch remix and Benefit repackaging to match the rest would make this set complete. I can wait...for a short time to see it come to fruition. I'm not getting younger Mr. Wilson. I will ask nicely and say "please" :D.

Bill Mac, Runicen and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Apparently he might not do STORMWATCH

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  3. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

:yikes:

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I got my copy!:D

5. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

When did you order it Tullman? I ordered SFTW and APP from amazon a few days ago. Thinking that the would ship in 1-3 weeks as quoted. Now I'm not so sure it will actually ship and I've noticed a reasonably priced APP from a different source. Wondering how to proceed.

6. Where did you see this?Steven has said repeatedly that he was locked in for everything up to and including Stormwatch.A few months back he said/wrote that he would like to do Broadsword as well as that is one of his very favourite Tull albums.Think they may have to use someone else for anything besides those two if they decide to do them.

7. peteham

peteham Senior Member

It’s in a recent interview with Wilson. Someone posted a link.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Some discussion about it:
    Jethro Tull "This Was" and Mr. Steven Wilson

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I ordered mine when it was released.

10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This is not a difficult decision - cancel Amazon, and buy the other copy. IMO.

Shvartze Shabbos and Bill Mac like this.
  11. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Indeed. It is gone today. But i reckon I can track one down if I'm willing to spend the monies.

12. omma

omma Forum Resident

I haven't the patience to sift through 100+ pages to see if this was an issue, but what's with the mix on the live CD's?
    It's terrible!
    The drum sound has got to be one of the worst I've heard (listen to 'Minstrel In The Gallery' if you don't believe me.)
    Were the tapes so noisy they had to be run though noise reduction, or are the mixer's ears so damaged he can no longer hear bass frequencies and boosted them up to no end?
    What a dismal sounding mix; I'm surprised this passed 'quality control' if there is such a thing nowadays.

13. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist. Thread Starter

A bit of sympathetic “remastering” can do wonders on the live cd. I had to, in order to enjoy it.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

It caught my browsing eye that the SFTW 40th anniversary box has a minimum $300 ask on Amazon. Looking to eBay for some sanity (imagine that), the prices actually being paid are topping out in the upper-mid-$100 range.

I have mine and wouldn't part with it to make a gaping hole in my complete set but really, how hard can it be for the powers that be to press a few more of these?

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I know it's sickening - and that's coming from someone who owns them all. There are even people buying multiple copies just so they can rip off others later. It's clear that, at least for most of these, the market would have taken a larger allotment. It's sad to see fans of the band and music struggle to afford them, it really is. Still - the sharks don't care about the bait.

JulesRules likes this.
  16. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

There is at least one "buy it now" listing for around $60 on eBay.
    In stock in Amazon.ca. for around $60 Canadian.
    They are not sold out. I don't know why people prefer to pay much more.

Norco74, Bill Mac and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

According to amazon, the copy of SFtW I ordered about 5 months ago should be delivered early July... I'm not holding my breath.

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm guessing you're nearing the 0% chance on that one.

19. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Probably quite hard. The difficulty with this type of production, especially one that contains a nicely-produced book as well as the disks etc, is that the unit price is very dependent on quantity. For example, pressing 3,000 might cost only 20% more than pressing 500 (total guess, but you get the idea). So to get a sensible price you have to make a lot. Now, if there are 150 people out there who want to buy it but have missed out (at regular prices), they may make a lot of noise, but that is only 150 sales. So there is a risk that you make 3000 but only sell 500 leaving you sitting on 2500 useless stock that you have to sell off cheap or watch depreciate.

Obviously repressing is much cheaper than the initial run but still quite expensive versus just doing a few more in the first place.

Tim

20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

As I recall they were clear these wouldn't be reissued as is. But perhaps they can repackage them in such a way that people can get the surround sounds, at least. I'd imagine most of the cost is in the book format, and of course the booklet itself - so a clamshell release would likely be cheaper, and a great option for those who missed out, imo. I hope it happens for them.

Come to think of it, a clamshell of TAAB would allow those with the book format to get what they want - and keep the original packaging - and make it available to those that missed out entirely.

alduchaney likes this.
  21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I haven't paid attention to the market for the other titles but it seems odd that availability is such an issue with this one. Perhaps the total made was actually dialed down for SFTW based on previous sales for the other sets.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What amazes me is that some don't buy these outstanding sets when they first come out. Especially when one is a Jethro Tull fan and have other deluxe sets which many are already OOP. Why the delay in buying? Hoping for better prices? The preorder prices on many of these sets has been the lowest prices by far.

23. A few were heavily discounted at ImportCDs.com (Warchild, Too Old and Minstrel) over a year after release. Still, I agree with you that it's not wise to expect a repeat of those discounts and best just to buy them at release.

24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I've picked up several at bargain prices

25. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

They were clearly marketed as one pressing limited run only. There is no way they will reprint as it would it would then send out the message, that there's no need to rush to buy the next, present or past boxsets as they will be always available leading to sluggish sales and stock sitting around. Since this one went OOP, the other ones have started to disappear from stores and the prices have creeped up accordingly we all noticed Heavy Horses, in the UK at least was priced higher on release. I think the marketing men will be happy SFTW has disappeared and is fetching high secondary market prices.

Matthew Tate likes this.