Jethro Tull: Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Here's the obligatory (and funny, since I was just saying I don't think the SW remixes are the final word), "All of them are essential."

Now, being more serious about this, I think "essential" is going to depend on which aspects of Tull you like the most. I'm a completist and own the discography, so upgrading to these literally made all of them essential from the word "go." If you have more targeted taste towards the band, or towards certain explorations they made, that should more or less answer the question for you.

When it comes to one that I'd recommend hands down to anyone, it's probably A Passion Play, because I HATED that album before SW remixed it and his mix actually helped my ears make some sense of what was going on. Additionally, you get the abandoned version of the album, which is itself kind of an interesting listen and worth revisiting. When it comes to a solid package that could cause a revised opinion of an album, that's the full monty. In comparison, I think most of the other entries are a little anti-climactic! :D

Bossyman likes this.
  2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Speaking strictly about the remixes on vinyl, Benefit, Aqualung and Songs From the Wood have become my go to's. Stand Up, I'd give the edge to an early pressing, TAAB, gets trounced by my EMI 100 pressing, and APP and Minstrel I never had on vinyl so I can't say. They do sound quite good though...

3. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I have 5 of the box sets, Aqualung, Heavy Horses, Minstrel in the Gallery, A Passion Play, and Songs from the Wood. I would rank them, from most essential to least: A Passion Play, Aqualung, Minstrel in the Gallery, Heavy Horses, and Songs from the Wood. I think the first four improve on the original mixes. As for Songs, I think it's more or less on par with the original vinyl, but different. The books are wonderful, the bonus material for these is wonderful.

Then for Stand Up and Benefit, I bought the stand-alone SW mix CDs, and for Thick, I bought the SW mix digital download from Pono Music. I was not impressed with the extras on these, and there was no way I was going to pay crazy money for Thick. Other than the pricy Thick, I don't think you'd need to avoid any of them, but just be aware, Benefit isn't a "book" release.

Runicen, Bossyman and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. hubertfarnsworth

hubertfarnsworth Forum Resident

I decided to try all of them after they started disappearing. I managed to track them all down except Thick and Minstrel, which is surprisingly hard to find already.

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I love the Deluxe set of "A Passion Play." So many goodies, and an extra five-star unreleased album! I prefer the original mix though. The SW mix doesn't have the magic of the original for me. I don't want prog with a cleaned up, leaner mix. I want all the fairy dust left intact.

dclovell and Runicen like this.
  6. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I did the same for Benefit. As for Stand Up, since you've already got the great SW mix, the real draw for the book edition is the book itself. By far the most stories, pictures, and overall info ever published on this era of the band, that I've encountered. Really worth having, even if the alt take of Bouree and widely circulated live show don't seduce you.

(then again, maybe the SW standalone has a decent approximation of the book? Benefit & Too Old do, come to think of it)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

When you say the remixed changed your outlook on the album are you talking about the stereo remix or the 5.1. In other words will I notice a big difference in the stereo remix, as the book with the 5.1 is OOP and prices have gone through the roof. I'm referring to A Passion Play.

8. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Some of these boxes can still be found on discogs. Just bought A Passion Play an Extended Performance.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Mainline461 likes this.
  9. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

And now I've just purchased the Minstrel in the Gallery 40th Anniversary Edition. That one was a bit pricey though.

10. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I have all the Steven Wilson Tull sets so far, and I eagerly await whatever else he's able to put forth.

With respect to the "why bother remixing in stereo" debate, I'll offer my (admittedly non-audiophile) opinion.

Imagine the original mixes are diorama displays of various objects, some delicate, others sturdy and overbearing. Wilson has recreated these displays, but he was able to be more precise because the original curator, through no fault of his own, was wearing oven mitts.

Doug_B, Runicen and tonewheeltom like this.
  11. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

As much as people are disappointed in Benefit not being in a “book” edition, I seem to remember the included booklet having the most input from the band members. At least that’s how I remember it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. I was just able to pick APP an Extended Perfromance on discogs. Now if I could just find a reasonable Stand Up The Elevated Edition.

Trainspotting and Runicen like this.
  13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I don't have a surround setup (regrettably), so I'm strictly in the stereo realm. My reaction to the SW remix of A Passion Play isn't too far off from my reaction to his remix of King Crimson's Lizard, which was another album I had next to no time for. Funny enough, in the case of the latter, the decluttered remix caused Robert Fripp to rethink his opinion of his own album as well! :laugh:

JulesRules, Mainline461 and Nycademon like this.
  14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Oh, I think you'll notice. Whether you consider it an improvement (I do) is up to the individual. But yeah, these aren't throwaway titles using the remix as a gimmick, they're the real deal.

15. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I am not a completist when it comes to Tull, but I do like most of their titles up through the late '70s. I did purchase all the SW remixes, even for the couple of titles that are not my favorites, not just for the possibility of what a new SW remix can do for them, but also to support the work and care that obviously went into all of these packages from all involved in their production. These are not high volume releases, and they are priced very fairly (IMO), so I don't think anyone is making a boatload of money on them. Their work should to be supported to the extent possible by Tull fans (IMO), and it helps them to continue the run for subsequent albums (at least while SW is interested).

Doug

highway, Plan9, folkfreak and 5 others like this.
  16. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Well, after 6 months or so, amazon finally canceled my order for SFtW. I ordered it only couple weeks it had come out too, but I guess that wasn't soon enough. There's ONE lone copy on amazon going for $400...

17. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Man, I'd be pissed. You could have gotten it from other sources when you ordered it had you known A wouldn't come through. My condolences.

SirMarc likes this.
  18. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I did not realize that these Tull box sets were going out of print so quickly.

I preordered the Songs from the Wood book from Amazon, it was sent in a padded envelope and was damaged.

I returned the first copy and got a second copy (also shipped in a padded envelope and also damaged). I contacted Amazon and asked if I could get a new copy SHIPPED IN A BOX this time) I also asked if I could keep the damaged copy until I received the 3rd copy. I was told that they would send me a new copy (shipped in a box) and that I could keep my 2nd damaged copy until the 3rd copy arrived.

Well, I finally received a 3rd copy (still shipped in a padded mailer but this time apparently undamaged). So I got on Amazon to see about returning the 2nd damaged copy and I discovered that it is already out of print.

I've really enjoyed all of the Steven Wilson/Jethro Tull remixed box sets, and I'm really disappointed to see that they are such limited editions.

tedhead and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

That's really odd? In the UK Amazon only send boxset albums, and everything else for that matter cardboard packaging, it's only 3rd party in bubble wrap packs. As it's pre-order you mentioned, in the UK Amazon don't sell 3rd party stuff, is the US different?

20. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

It's too bad that I missed this one. I'm happy that I got the sets that I got, including that first Aqualung set. I just think they might have underestimated how popular Songs From The Wood really is. I hope they decide to re-issue this one in particular because I don't remember any of the others selling out this quickly.

21. electronicpaperboy

Not to rub salt in the wound, but Burning Shed last week we're selling lots of the boxsets, some signed including TAAB, signed and unsigned also SFTW. The latter was retailing at £39.99. These ones sold out quickly unsurprisingly. They were discussed over on the Heavy Horses thread.

22. electronicpaperboy

Currently one of the remaining boxes on Burning Shed, £39.00 think?

Mainline461 likes this.
  23. electronicpaperboy

The other boxes remaining at Burning Shed are TOTR&R, Warchild, Benefit and Stand Up elevated. I know these are not the most difficult to obtain, but some here might find them useful.

Mainline461 and granata like this.
  24. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Ouch, but thanks for the heads up! I missed that discussion entirely. I'll have to keep a steady lookout. Again, they sold out quickly which means there is still a heavy demand for them. Hopefully they will have more for the holiday season. I really don't want to go on Ebay or anything like that to get a copy of SFTW...

25. dclovell

dclovell Forum Resident

Did you return the last damaged copy? If not, I would be interested in purchasing it from you.