Jethro Tull: Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Yeah, my first thought was that a "Crest Of A Knave" deluxe would be nice. The album won a Grammy after all. In a really interesting category;)

But I love the way Anderson and Barre are improvising together on tracks like "Farm On The Freeway". And I totally think "Steel Monkey" is a very cool track.

Runicen likes this.
  2. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

More excited about Heavy Horses and Stormwatch because I have the MFSL of SFTW, which is excellent. I'm sure that Steven Wilson will work his magic and best the MFSL, so I will get it, but there are no good digital versions of Heavy Horses or Stormwatch.

footlooseman and tootull like this.
  3. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

The Stormwatch remaster from 2002 is not that bad but also I am waiting for the flat transfers of HH and Stormwatch.

sound chaser and tootull like this.
  4. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Doug_B likes this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I'd be curious about a Heavy Horses remix. It's a busy album so maybe he could sort it out more.

Runicen and tootull like this.
  6. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

There's a comment from Steven Wilson somewhere where he also talks about stopping his involvement with Jethro Tull projects after Stormwatch

7. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Has this been postponed only to go back to Stand Up?

8. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

The actual quote from Steven Wilson is:
    "While not confirmed, it's most likely the next Tull project will be to stop at 1976 for now, and go back to 1969 to remix the band's second album Stand Up."
    (from https://www.facebook.com/swremixes)

9. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

Also, consider that there are in fact several separate "pieces of work" to be undertaken.
    For example:
    (1) Steven Wilson remixing the album
    (2) Obtaining all necessary copyright approvals.
    (3) The record company packaging and releasing the finished product.
    These things don't necessarily occur concurrently (as seen with some of the King Crimson re-issues).

tootull likes this.
  10. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I am supposing that Beltane will NOT be included in this release. Even though the subject matter is thematically linked to SFTW, the smoky vocals indicate to me that it was recorded during the HH sessions.

Runicen likes this.
  11. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I'd love to have a decent recording of the Beethoven thing they were doing about that time. One can hope.

12. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I have high hopes for the 5.1 mixes for all of the "folk-rock" trilogy, and really would like the remixes to continue into the 80's. One of my fave Tull CDs pulls together all the Broadsword outtakes into a cracking 60 minutes of music.

Philip

Runicen, sound chaser and Keith V like this.
  13. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

there goes more money

Runicen, Coricama and Todd W. like this.
  14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Once they announced the deluxe version of Too Old, I figured Songs From the Wood was a certainty unless there were issues with the master tapes. SFtW is one of the peaks in the discography, after all...Heavy Horses is likely, I suppose. And after that...who knows...

Keith V likes this.
  15. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Give me Broadsword and Stormwatch and I will be just fine..........:D

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Per my records, I saw Tull March 14th, 1977, for the princely sum of $7.00.
    I remember buying the album, as I usually did after a concert, within a week afterward.
    Playing the gold MFSL CD now, and looking forward to owning a copy in 5.1.
    This album always suits me most from October through early January.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Crush Everything and Gramps Tom like this.
  17. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I wonder if Wilson will get to remix Bursting Out. I would love to hear an uncensored version (though the beep only occurs twice).

18. Atmospheric

I bet not. What really ruins that record for me is the Yamaha electric grand piano. Those things sound wretched. It all but ruins an incredible Locomotive Breath for me. Apparently, as late as 1976, John Evan was playing a real grand piano on tour. By 1978, he'd switched to that infernal wretched POS. So if SW is able to find some decent multi-track concert tapes from 1976, we have a decent chance of hearing some great live Tull material.

It's also worth noting that the state of acoustic guitar amplification in that era was pretty wretched as well. But I could probably stomach that.

ParloFax likes this.
  19. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

That's why I believe Bursting Out could benefit from a remix. Again I can only judge by the old 1990 2-CD set, but I still believe there's potential for a good bout of live material from that period. However, as you said, anything from 1976 would be welcome... Or even earlier... Though I think there's a 1975 show in its entirety (?) on the new Minstrel set.

20. Atmospheric

A remix ain't gonna fix a crap tone problem. Unless you rerecord the part, you're stuck with it.

Yes, the Minstrels Deluxe set has a 1975 performance on it. I like some of it, but Barry Barlow is appallingly out of control on much of it. I adore Barry's playing. He's one of my favorite drummers. Usually, he's very precise and controlled. But he's just so "assholes and elbows" on much of the 1975 show that it's pretty painful for me to listen to it. He must have been very new to the band at that point.

21. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

I don't hear that in BB's playing on the '75 show at all. He's been in the band 3 years by then.

sound chaser likes this.
  22. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

My fave Tull album and I saw that tour, and the Stormwatch tour as well. For Songs from the Wood, Anderson was dressed in an english fox hunting outfit. For Stormwatch, he was a pirate, and the entire stage was hung with ships rigging... when they did North Sea Oil, a huge polar bear prop was pushed out. Fun show.

23. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'm a little confused as to exactly what Tull special editions are coming out and when. As I understood it, Too Old To R&R was coming out first, then Songs From The Wood. Someone in an earlier post in this thread mentioned Heavy Horses and Stormwatch were also in the pipeline.
    Now all of a sudden, and I couldn't be happier actually, Stand Up has been announced as the next Tull special edition after Too Old To R&R!
    Are all those other titles, including SFTW shelved until next year or later?

24. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

completely disagree, it is barlows playing that makes me want more. fabulous "live" performance that brings the music up a notch...he was a well established member by then

sound chaser likes this.
  25. 4 years