Jethro Tull: Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist. Thread Starter

They can give the multitracks to me...
    ;-)

Runicen and tootull like this.
  2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

After me. :winkgrin:

While I wait: :cheers: LOVE this album!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jsayers, Doug_B, Geir and 5 others like this.
  3. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I personally rank this album right there with Aqualung, it really is that good! The MFSL digital version is fantastic too! Please please release live material visually and audio with this!!!!!!!!!!!

tootull and johnny q like this.
  4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

A favorite.
    I'm so there.

RubenH likes this.
  5. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

So Classic Rock talks of three reissues due next year in their "What's Happening In 2016" feature.

Philip

6. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Aqualung
    Stand up
    Songs from the wood

Runicen and PJayBe like this.
  7. JAG

explain to me what I am missing in regards to aqualung....it was done by MFSL, DCC, Classic records, and recently in that box ...both vinyl and digital
    why the hell would anyone want it done again?

8. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I'll buy. The best Tull album, if you ask me.

johnny q likes this.
  9. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Hi again, :cheers:
    With Aqualung at 45, a glitch free 5.1. A glitch free stereo flat transfer included on DVD. No Peter Mew mastering. Throw in a few treats and here we go again.

dirie, Geir and Keith V like this.
  10. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I told you I returned them when I was finished with them.......

tootull and Kim Olesen like this.
  11. JAG

I still don't see the purpose unless they include an unreleased live show (which I am sure they must have)...my DCC, MFSL for digital are great..my 45rpm Classic couldn't get any better on vinyl..to each their own thanks for responding John

12. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

It's to get a good-sounding version of the arguably-superior remix (plus some amazing alternate takes). A must-buy imo. I keep my DCC for the best-sounding original mix.

14. Harry42

Harry42 Forum Resident

Hey, it's Steven Wilson working on the remix. Maybe he can ask Gavin Harrison to re-record the drums on "Under Wraps" like he did on Porcupine Tree's "Up The Downstairs".

15. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I'm in. SFTW is the only Tull album after Minstrel that ever did anything for me, and it did a LOT. Love me some SFTW. :edthumbs:

16. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

I'd just like to thank Dok for post #90 shown above. I am just re-discovering Tull now after just following Ian & co. through Thick As.. from the "old days."
    There has been a lot of debate about what happened to change his vocal style and here you have it from the "horse's mouth." I personally like it and find it right in line with Ian's long body of work that we can all be thankful for. Thanks again. Really looking forward to the upcoming S. Wilson releases.

17. Dok

Dok Senior Member

:wave:

From 4 years ago - http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread.../#post-6896373

From 3 years ago - http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...2#post-8232101

From a year and a half ago - http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...#post-10406096

From a year ago - http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...#post-11580143

Actually it's been a little longer then the dates given but what the hay.

18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

How about 'Heavy Horses'? It's practically 'Songs ...' volume 2.

BTW, 'Songs From The Wood' is my favourite Tull album.

Runicen likes this.
  19. Harry42

Harry42 Forum Resident

You don't really want me to read all the JT related threads before posting?:confused:

I think somebody should ask for this every year. So IA and SW can't say: "nobody asked for it"

20. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Of course not. I'm with you... I hope they really consider this and if I were to make a prediction I believe we will see it in 3 or 4 years. Well, maybe 5. ;)

Harry42 likes this.
  21. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm still hoping (as several others are) that this reissue campaign is extended through the '80s. Beyond the fact that many of us (at least I) didn't have an inkling about the rather sizeable amount of bonus music we've been treated to, those albums really do deserve a fresh appraisal. The idea of a revised "complete sessions" Broadsword and the Beast or a deluxe Under Wraps with the original mix and a "real drums" mix. Wrap up all the off cuts and extra songs that didn't make previous box sets and you've just made me very happy indeed. If this is the last word on the Tull catalog, it's creating an archive that'll be rewarding listeners for years to come and, for that reason alone, while I'm happy with what we get, I sincerely hope it's extended to wrap up at least the '80s material in addition to the decade in process.

Dok likes this.
  22. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Heavy Horses to me is like SFTW Lite. No Lullabye is good and all but the Busting Out version is a lot less clinical. If anything, Stormwatch is Heavy Horses Vol. 2.

I'm not knocking Heavy Horses at all, just prefer SFTW.

23. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Ian Anderson said quite awhile ago (no, I don't remember which interview it was) that there are no plans for Wilson to do anything after Stormwatch at this time. That could change, but I doubt it.

24. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Broadsword would be great for the amount of bonus tracks alone

The Wedge and Carserguev like this.
  25. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Tempting. One of my Jethro Tull favorites.

The Wedge likes this.