Jethro Tull: Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Sep 17, 2015.

1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

All Jethro Tull is flat transferred since Benefit in 2013.

Plan9, bobcat, Scottb and 1 other person like this.
  2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This was the facebook post outlining what was what regarding unmastered, single CD and HD releases.

Steven Wilson, 28.05.15:
    "Parlophone / Universal Music Group are releasing digital download versions of my stereo remixes of 4 Jethro Tull albums, including 24/96 HD audio, and perhaps of interest to some is that the versions of Aqualung and Thick as a Brick are my own approved masters (essentially flat transfers) without the mastering that was applied to the mixes included in the box sets from 2011 and 2012. The subsequent remixes of Benefit and A Passion Play were already released as flat transfers without mastering, so these have not changed from the previously released versions. All 4 remixed albums are also being released as single CDs, but these are the same as the discs found in the deluxe box set editions, and therefore still use the Pete Mew mastered Aqualung and TAAB remixes (so to clarify only the digital downloads of these albums use the new masters, yes it’s confusing!)."

Nycademon likes this.
  3. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Yes, he did a flat transfer, but he did NOT remaster it. I wish on a board like this terms would be used more deliberated. But ok, what do I expect from a board were music is rated more on DR numbers and how a waveform looks like instead of listening to it.

Ben Adams likes this.
  4. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Generalize much?

JimW likes this.
  5. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I believe that you are correct. I ship to my in- laws in the U.S. They have been kind enough to collect all my orders while I am here in Dubai otherwise shipping would be cost prohibitive. Will get back home this year so lots to look forward to.

bobcat likes this.
  6. tootull

Another guarantee, if my name is on the product, it's definitely a flat transfer.

I also helped with flat transfers of Benefit & Aqualung 40th Adapted Edition without being named.

bmoregnr likes this.
  7. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

8. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Has this gone OOP? I notice on Amazon it’s selling for just under £70!

9. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Lucky you!

I am not sure I would have the patience to wait that long :)

10. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

11. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

To be clear, unless there's been a VERY recent release that I've missed, there are TWO non-Mew-mastered releases of SW's stereo Aqualung remix: 1) The HD version from Parlophone (see the second link in my earlier post), and 2) The Adapted Edition.

tootull and Plan9 like this.
  12. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

This is completely untrue. Any people using DR numbers do so to ascertain why a mastering sounds different from another one and graphs are used to show how it is different. Listening is still the final arbiter - note the Grandegi blind listening tests, where forum members are trying to understand why a particular mastering sounds the best, not simply that it is voted the best. The extension of what you are saying is "just buy it because I say it sounds good".

13. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I checked your links to Discogs. So is the Adapted Edition the box set with SW mastering it? That's what it says on the cover of the set. I assumed the single disc version also from 2015 used that master. I do know that there were many complaints about the mastering on the 2011 set so that got Steve Wilson to do a flat transfer of his new stereo mix in 2015 which is what's in the Adapted set.

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes.

Your other questions have been answered above:

Nycademon and Scottb like this.
  15. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Do you know if the single disc release in 2015 uses the mastering used on the Adapted set?

16. tootull

Runicen likes this.
  17. :agree: Yes, when it comes to any of these Jethro Tull sets he who hesitates misses out.

18. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

100 pages coming up :D

19. mikew

mikew Forum Resident

We are in good hands. Thank you.

tootull likes this.
  20. tootull

All leads to less glitches for everyone to bitch about. :)

21. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Ok- I have ordered Stand Up Elevated, Benefit, Songs From the Wood, and preordered Heavy Horses. Looked like the first three were getting low in stock at Bullmoose so I jumped on them. Which of the other book editions are must haves knowing it’s too late for TAAB at a reasonable price? Pretty confusing looking at the options but I assume the book editions are the ones to get.

22. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Aqualung, Warchild, Too Old to R&R and A Passion Play are all still in print.

Jgirar01 likes this.
  23. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I would say topick up "Aqualung" and "Minstrel" at the very least.

JimW and Jgirar01 like this.
  24. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

If still available, War child is good Passion Play is worth it just for 2nd disc alone.

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Was never a fan of Passion Play until I had the book set - so I'd say that's a must.

What am I saying?? Just get all the book sets you can......