Jethro Tull: Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Sep 17, 2015.

1. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

As far as I'm concerned, SW should wrap up Tull's 70's output through Stormwatch, since that was the last album Barry Barlow played on. Even though they had some good songs on other later albums, I started to lose interest after Barlow quit. Being a drummer myself (and this is my own opinion), I thought the lack of creative drumming made the music from the 80's onward less interesting. I think Barlow was the best and most creative drummer Tull ever had, with Clive Bunker (excellent also) running a close second. Nobody else comes close.
    It would be awesome if SW does indeed remix Stand Up, then tackle This Was. That would complete the 60's and 70's output.

GowG, FVDnz, Keith V and 2 others like this.
  2. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Hey Wilson can you make sure Advertising man is included on SFTW? It's most likely one of tulls best songs from this period although Ian doesn't see it. This is your chance to make it available :thumbsup:

3. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

A pitty that it was left off TOTRR. When are musicians and recording companies that this kind of releases are bought mostly by hard core fans who would even buy IA singing Merry Xmas in the shower?

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If Ian agreed to release "Sailor" I guess anything is fair game.

Keith V likes this.
  5. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

I think A has some really interesting drumming on it, myself.

6. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Ian still has a chance to make amends. Hopefully Mr Wilson is reading this :D
    What Ian thinks is his rubbish are actually his coolest songs.

7. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

I take it you're not much of a fan of Doane Perry then, eh? :laugh: I don't know if I'd attribute this tailing off as more to do with the drumming per se as opposed to the collective aging process. Also the 70's - which comprises the Barlow years - saw Tull at their most progressive blaze, prog-rock being a genre where drummers generally get to shine a bit more due to the complexity and unusual timings of the compositional arrangements.

Crush Everything likes this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Craney was good, yes. Too bad he didn't stay.

Galeans likes this.
  9. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I think you have a point about how progressive the music was in the 70's which gave Bunker and especially, Barlow, a chance to display their talents. As the music became less progressive, it seems the drumming, although good, was a little straight-forward. I rather Mark Craney than Doane Perry. I first heard him with Jean Luc-Ponty, and like the poster above said, too bad he didn't stay because he was very good on "A", (hadn't heard that one in a while) although IMHO that's not one of my favorite Tull albums. Anyway, back to the SW remixes. I like all of them so far and like I said earlier, I hope he completes the 70's output. Curious to see how TOTRARTYTD is gonna sound!

10. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

So Stormwatch will be the last he tackles. I do hope he at least gets to remix This Was in 5.1 as well. Living in the Past too would be sweet but seeing as once Stand Up is done, all we'll need for a Wilson compiled version of LitP would be for TW to be done plus the content from the 2nd CD of Aqualung without Mew's mastering. Is it true that Anderson has been made aware that fans are yearning for Aqualung to receive the hardbook treatment?

11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I made a pretty cool Living in the Past utilizing as many remixes as are available the reissues. Settled for one or two original mixes and one or two alternates when nothing else was available.

FVDnz likes this.
  12. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

13. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Amazing news! These reissues are marvellous! I hope they'll eventually get to Heavy Horses and then Stormwatch... That was such a great run... Love all those albums!

14. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

It's good to see that the pace is being maintained at a steady rate of one release every six months or so.
    It's almost tempting to speculate what the two releases in 2017 might be!

Runicen likes this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I actually think the band on "A" is quite interesting. And while the songs on "A" are a mixed lot, I wish this version of the band had continued longer.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I don't like anything on A except The Pine Marten's Jig. 4.W.D. (Low Ratio) is the worst song on any Tull album I've owned.

Keith V likes this.
  17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Flying dale flyer, uniform, and further on are awesome Tull songs

Runicen and xdawg like this.
  18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Make amends? He doesn't owe you anything. Tull fans have been given so much over the years, but it's never enough until you get every last belch that they committed to tape. If IA doesn't feel that some raw outtake is worthy of release, just accept it and enjoy all of the other rare tracks we have.
    How do you know that this obscure track is one of their best songs from the period? Just because it's rare and every outtake is somehow more valuable to you than the stuff they actually released? Yeah, they have a lot of great non-album material but come on. . .

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    showtaper, FVDnz and Pete Puma like this.
  19. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Please don't feed the trolls. Its like in the Warchild and Minstrel thread again....

showtaper likes this.
  20. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

the outtakes are the tull tracks that's why. They planned to do a tull album and a separate soundtrack in 74 and 76

21. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

This is great news. I have recently gotten to know three Wilson remixes, and look forward to more download albums with excellent sound and record-breaking DR numbers...:D

22. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Does anybody know if the London Hippodrome 77 gig is a multi track?

23. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Heavy Horses and This Was (50th Anniversary)?! ;)

24. fjtull

fjtull Forum Resident

[QUOTE=" Will we get to Broadsword?? We can skip A.[/QUOTE]
    My Great wish would be SW goes on until year 1982 so that we can have BATB full outtakes all togheter ( we know that we miss at least two tracks) and please give us A with, as bonus disc, the full original footage from the Slipstream Video with those '80s artifacts REMOVED!! Pleaaaase

Runicen likes this.
  25. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

My Great wish would be SW goes on until year 1982 so that we can have BATB full outtakes all togheter ( we know that we miss at least two tracks) and please give us A with, as bonus disc, the full original footage from the Slipstream Video with those '80s artifacts REMOVED!! Pleaaaase[/QUOTE]

Just go all through the 80s. Wanna hear drum track remixes and also vocal reverb/layering on crest and rock

Runicen likes this.