Jethro Tull: Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Sep 17, 2015.

1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

UK album chart: The 40th anniversary deluxe edition of Jethro Tull's Songs from the Wood sees the classic album rise the ranks once more to Number 13.

Original album peaked at No. 13 on the UK Albums Chart.
    Feeling lucky...:cheers:
    Songs from the Wood - Wikipedia

2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist. Thread Starter

Well done Jethro Tull. Much deserved re-entry.

3. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Only 13? Lol

4. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Interesting... At that time, short of getting a broadcast truck with enormous 2" VTRs, 3/4" Umatic would have been the only option. The more portable broadcast 1" format was still pretty new/expensive at that point. 3/4" has better resolution than VHS though, I think closer to 300 lines.

5. tootull

6. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

7. tootull

Only joking
    At 13 with 128 choices.

:laugh: follow me.

8. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

A modern album wouldn't come close lol

9. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Bought my copy at a real life brick-and-mortar record store on Saturday, first chance to listen was Sunday. SFTW has never been a favorite of mine but this is a very nice edition of the album. I'm not as over the moon about "Old Aces Die Hard" as some people are (my favorite unknown-before-Steven-Wilson Tull track is "Tomorrow Was Today"), but I don't dislike the song either. The concert recordings are very nice, particularly because we now have great-sounding stereo recordings of several bits that were previously available only on the Tampa "Tullavision" tape on Around the World Live.

The video is fine. It was shot in 1977 for closed-circuit display screens at a sports arena; it was never going to be HD. It's 1970s broadcast TV quality.

I had one observation about the live recording, which deserves its own post. Stand by...

Jimijam and Plan9 like this.
  10. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

On the live recording (video and audio), Ian is introducing "Too Old to Rock'n'Roll..." when he says a curse word. The original word (which I'm guessing starts with a "c") has been replaced with "bugger." The edit is audible on the CD, and the word doesn't match the mouth movements on the DVD. (I believe it's the same word that got bleeped on Bursting Out.) It's so obvious that I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet - but I searched the thread for "bugger," "curse" and "profanity" and nothing came up.

Question is - who censored the stage banter? Ian? Jakko? The suits at the record company who are a bunch of squares, man?

ParloFax and Pete Puma like this.
  11. geodos

geodos Forum Resident

I hate stickers and took mine off before I opened the book. I hope it does not fall into the same category as those mattress labels that state "DO NOT REMOVE UNDER PENALTY OF THE LAW". Especially since it has the strobe light warning.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  12. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Is this going to be released on vinyl, please?

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

MisterBritt likes this.

murrays and Dok like this.
  15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I know that others answered this in the affirmative before the set came out but are the stereo remix and 5.1 mix of Strip Cartoon exactly the same on this and the Too Old DVD set? I'm still confused as to whether there are any versions of it unique to either set.

Also still wondering about someone saying that there is something wrong with one of the mixes of 17 on the a Benefit DVD set. What's that about?

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Search Results for Query: strip cartoon | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

17. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

I always remove every sticker. The way I see it is that someone designed the cover and they didn't plan for it to have stickers covering any part of it. So off they go!

p.s. Worst sticker ever must have been Neil Young's Year Of The Horse CD. Massive, orange and covered the whole cover.

wayneklein, tootull and Kim Olesen like this.
  18. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Stickers are not OBIs, their monatery value is nil when reselling an item. Best thing to do is to remove and stick on the protective sleeve of your item or simply trash it...

19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist. Thread Starter

Stickers get in the way of the intended artwork. I strongly dislike them.

20. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Stickers are cool if you're a 7-year-old girl. Otherwise... not so much

21. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

At my store, we get an extra $100 on a Beatles album if it has an original sticker put on by the company.

tootull and wayneklein like this.
  22. There also is a small group who love well designed hype stickers.

tspit74 likes this.
  23. The other question--I have to give Ian credit for the "additional material credit" on the album BUT wouldn't it have been more fair to give Palmer and Barlow co-writing credit since of the marerial became a intricate part of the song or hwve thrm listed as separate compositions? I'm sure that they got a cut of the royalties either way.

24. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

hype stickers can dramatically increase the value of certain records.

25. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Not sure about that - I've been looking for a copy of Genesis Live first pressing with the hype sticker for years!! I always save them - I prefer it if they're on the shrinkwrap though - I cut out and keep it still attached and leave it in the sleeve or whatever!

Norco74 and Juggsnelson like this.