Jethro Tull "teacher" with bright guitar.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leggs91203, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I found "Living in the past" at thrift for one buck. After a couple cleanings and some regrooving, it doesn't sound real bad. the crackle is down to a minimum at least...

Weird thing though -
    On the song "teacher", the highest pitched guitar really seems to stand out almost louder than any other sound. I have heard that song on the radio and on cassette, but never heard the highest pitched guitar that clear before.

So, is it suppose to sound like that (before "remasters" ruin everything) or is it some weird problem possibly with the LP? The LPs are not in the best shape but also not horrid for being original pressings.

Might seem like a weird question, not sure how to better explain the highest pitch guitar (it is not the rhythm guitar), but also getting used to the unique sound of LP.

2. oates

oates Forum Resident

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here, but you are aware that the Living In The Past version of "Teacher" is different to the single / Benefit version?

Bernard hansen likes this.
  3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

This is not true. LITP (US, UK and the MFSL gold CD) has the exact same version of Teacher that was on the US
    Benefit and the US 45 (except the 45 was mono).

4. oates

oates Forum Resident

Sorry I'm not an expert on Tull by any means, but the point is that there are two versions of "Teacher" out there. Was the alternate version a UK 45 only then?

5. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

There are definitely two versions of Teacher; one was a UK single and one was US (I think Benefit). With the advent of digital which version ends up on which release seems to be a toss up. I would not describe either mix as bass heavy but more "mid-rangy".

6. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Don't recall if it was a 45, but there are two versions of the song.

7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The alternate Teacher appeared only on the UK single and the 25th anniversary boxed set, and wasn't widely heard in the US until the latter was released. All other releases have the Benefit version. Many tracks were remixed for Living in the Past though (ie, less distortion on the vox in Song for Jeffrey), which is what I think the OP was referring to.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The U.S. Benefit and Living in the Past have the same version of "Teacher," but different mixes. I believe M.U. used the LitP mix but faded earlier.

9. Larry Geller

The 25th anniversary cigar box never came out in the US, the UK single version of Teacher wasn't put out here until the deluxe Benefit, so it has never been "widely heard" in the US, ever. Also, it was not remixed for LITP .

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Sorry, I meant the 20th anniversary box. The Teacher single is on that, and that was where many US fans (like me) first heard it.

An interesting note is that the credits on "Living in the Past" seem to match the single version of the song (ie, no credit for flute, and there's no flute on the single). So maybe they meant to include the single version but screwed up.

11. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Huh? the 25th anniversary cigar box most certainly came out in the US! I went to my local the day it came out and bought one.

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  12. Larry Geller

It was out here as import only, that's how I got mine, also the day it came out (my best friend owned a record store, and he was unable to get it domestic, and had to get it as an import), but Chrysalis never actually released it here, or Nightcap either.

13. Larry Geller

You're right. I forgot about the blue box.

14. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Title (Format) Label Cat# Country Year
    25th Anniversary 4CD Box Set ‎(4xCD + Box) Chrysalis, Chrysalis 0946 3 26004 2 4, CDCHR 6004 UK & Europe 1993
    25th Anniversary 4CD Box Set ‎(4xCD + Box) Chrysalis 0946 3 26004 2 4 US 1993

again not true...it was available all over as I remember

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  15. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I think I'm pretty clear on which version of "Teacher" appears where. But I am still trying to figure out what the OP means by "regrooving".

16. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Had not thought of there being different mixes. Other than the guitar, it sounds like what I remember.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.