Jethro Tull – The Rock Opera Performed by Ian Anderson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

2. tootull

3. tootull

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/58591/thread
    Double appointment in Italy, for the month of November 2015, for the show "Jethro Tull the rock opera", with the participation of Ian Anderson ( frontman of the legendary prog rockers Jethro Tull ).

The performance will take place on the following dates:
    November 29 - Bolohna, Auditorium Manzoni
    November 30 - Turin, Tetro Colosseum

4. tootull

INTERVIEW: Ian Anderson reimagines story of Jethro Tull September 4, 2015
    MORE: http://www.hollywoodsoapbox.com/?p=13593
    http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/59610/thread
    “I can set many of the best known Jethro Tull songs into the storyline, into the narrative of Jethro Tull’s life,” Anderson said. “But rather than make it merely a historical piece, it would be more fun to set it in the present or near future and have my Jethro Tull be a pioneering biochemist working on cloning, and GM foods and patented technologies to help feed the world in the context of big agribusiness, which, of course, brings about with it lots of ethical and moral dilemmas about making tons of money out of providing necessary foodstuffs for an ever hungry and growing planet. So lots of elements of current affairs and concerns that people have about the near future were easy to bring into the mix, and rather than be a prophet of doom or despair, I actually try and make this have an upbeat and positive ending to the reimagined story of Jethro Tull, an homage to the original, historical character.”

The singer, who is a pioneer with the flute as an instrument in rock ‘n’ roll, said he still believes the experience will be like a “rock show.” The concert will feature the best of Jethro Tull, plus five new short songs. “Don’t worry, they’re very short songs, which flesh out the story more to get into the deal with the present-day context of that story, but, yes, I mean the bulk of it is really just giving a context for those songs to operate perhaps in a slightly different way,” he said. “But the toe-tappers will just listen to the music and go, ‘Yeah, I remember that one.’ Those who want to peel back the layers of the onion may find other levels of meaning, of storyline, of characters and so on. And to help bring it to life, I use on a big High-Definition video screen, I have my virtual guests appearing as certain characters in the storyline. So we keep it visually interesting at the same time as having lots of detail. But I’m well aware folks don’t like being dragged too far from their comfort zone, so I have to make sure all of this works on the basic level of being a rock concert.”

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I love Ian Anderson and respect what he does. It doesn't give me any pleasure.

6. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

Yes, if we think they are past it or we won't enjoy it, then no need to get upset, we can just chose to ignore them if they tour our city.

But what REALLY annoys me is when I make such a decision, and then find out later that I missed something really good.

7. tootull

8. tootull

Tour: JETHRO TULL The Rock Opera performed by IAN ANDERSON
    September 8th Basingstoke The Anvil United Kingdom
    http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/59684/thread
    steelmonkey's friend in Basingstoke says it was 'BRILLIANT', 'He pulled it off', 'impressive'....good story arc, great playing, high high tech.

The new songs appear to be: Frankenfield (best), Alligator Turnstile, Dilemma and one or two more, titles unclear.

The songs include only one surprise: Requiem. Otherwise, as expected: Witches Promise, With You There to help Me, New Day Yesterday, Heavy Horses, Songs from the Wood, Living in the Past, Farm on the Freeway, Aqualung and Locomotive Breath.

He described Requiem as 'A Monster'.

MikaelaArsenault and Galeans like this.
  9. tootull

Set 1
    Heavy Horses
    (Jethro Tull song)
    Wind Up
    (Jethro Tull song)
    Aqualung
    (Jethro Tull song)
    With You There to Help Me
    (Jethro Tull song)
    Back to the Family
    (Jethro Tull song)
    Farm on the Freeway
    (Jethro Tull song)
    Prosperous Pasture
    Fruits of Fraknenfield
    Songs From the Wood
    (Jethro Tull song)
    Set 2
    And The World Feeds Me
    Living in the Past
    (Jethro Tull song)
    Jack-in-the-Green
    (Jethro Tull song)
    The Witch's Promise
    (Jethro Tull song)
    Weathercock
    (Jethro Tull song)
    Stick, Twist, Bust
    Cheap Day Return
    (Jethro Tull song)
    A New Day Yesterday
    (Jethro Tull song)
    The Turnstile Gate
    Locomotive Breath
    (Jethro Tull song)
    Encore:
    Requiem and Fugue

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  10. tootull

[​IMG]
    More Photos: http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/59701/thread

New Show JETHRO TULL — Performed by IAN ANDERSON — It Doesn’t Work as an Opera but it’s still Fun
    http://rawramp.me/2015/09/09/new-sh...-does-not-work-as-an-opera-but-its-still-fun/
    [​IMG]
    Anderson is now Heisenberg. Baron of the music industry and kingpin supreme…

More reviews:
    http://www.music-news.com/showreview.asp?H=Ian-Anderson&nReviewID=11363

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/59789/thread

Quote from Marc Almond:
    Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull the Rock Opera at SBE was bloody marvellous.great film visuals. I love Ian. Everyone on one leg now!
    http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/59793/thread
    @MarcAlmond

11. tootull

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/59840/thread
    Review: Jethro Tull: The Rock Opera, York Barbican, September 13 Robert McKelvey
    IAN Anderson celebrates the life and times of the English agricultural inventor Jethro Tull with a series of concert tours across the UK.

The show tells the story of Tull's life, reimagined as if in the near future and conveyed through the progressive rock music of Anderson's band, named after the same man.

Anderson has lost none of his musical prowess or enthusiasm. Every song from the old catalogue – Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, Songs From The Woods – found its mark with the ecstatic crowd, drawing huge amounts of cheering and applause. However, the presentation left something to be desired.

The show’s use of a pre-recording audio and video backdrop proved more of a distraction than an enhancement, populated as it was by dull, wooden performers and baffling, ill-fitting visuals

The decision to transpose Tull’s life story, already vaguely represented at best, into the near future somewhat undercuts any intended celebration of his accomplishments. The connective segments were also similarly weak, lacking much clear direction.

Overall, I personally would have preferred a straight Jethro Tull concert, rather than the overcomplicated and slightly jumbled affair presented. The music was absolutely stellar, but most of the Rock Opera trappings served as little more than distractions from the main event. The show would have benefited from a little more focus, but it was still quite enjoyable.

(Share article)

link
    Set 1

Heavy Horses (from Heavy Horses, 1978)
    Wind-Up (from Aqualung, 1971)
    Aqualung (from Aqualung, 1971)
    With You There to Help Me (from Benefit, 1970)
    Back to the Family (from Stand Up, 1969)
    Farm on the Freeway (from Crest of the Knave, 1987)
    Prosperous Pasture (new song)
    Fruits of Frankenfield (new song)
    Songs From the Wood (from Songs From the Wood, 1977)

Set 2

And the World Feeds Me (new song)
    Living in the Past (from Living in the Past, 1972)
    Jack-in-the-Green (from Songs From the Wood, 1977)
    The Witch's Promise (from Living in the Past, 1972)
    Weathercock (from Heavy Horses, 1978)
    Stick, Twist, Bust (new song)
    Cheap Day Return (from Aqualung, 1971)
    A New Day Yesterday (from Stand Up, 1969)
    The Turnstile Gate (new song)
    Locomotive Breath (from Aqualung, 1971)

Encore

Requiem and Fugue (new song)

[​IMG]

12. tootull

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So sad. After 40 years of working side by side.

14. tootull

Ian Anderson performs Jethro Tull - The Rock Opera -
    StormwatchUK

15. tootull

16. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I saw this show the other night in Salford.

First things first: if you have a problem in any way with Anderson using the name Tull, then this is most definitely not for you. It's the least-Tull like show I have ever seen him do.

But I loved it. I thought it was very creative, breathing new life into old songs, and of course a clever way of saving his voice. I thought the screen worked really well, integrating seamlessly. It's not Roger Waters' The Wall levels of sophistication, of course, and some of it was a little homemade-hammy, but overall I thought it worked well. Not least the lady, who featured quite heavily, and whom I found disarmingly engaging. You can see here here

I have to admit I didn't quite get the concept - I'd need to study the lyrics and watch again (I'd like to hear this as a studio released album) - but to me, that didn't matter. It was an opportunity to hear old favourites with a new twist.

One thing I did miss, which one of the reviews mentions, was Ian's banter. There was none at all, but then it would have interrupted the flow. But hey, he'll no doubt be round again next year!

Pete Puma likes this.
  17. tootull

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

My goodness - it's really over, isn't it? Like many Tull fans, I've been clinging on in the hope that something can stop the gradual decline, that some magic might yet save the day. But really, this is the empty space two steps over the cliff edge. It's over. Oh well, good times, happy times, have been had along the way. Tull is dead, long live Tull.

19. tootull

Ian Anderson — Locomotive Breath (Jethro Tull: The Rock Opera, show in Moscow)
    Alexey Tarasov Published on Sep 25, 2015

20. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Good lord, is that a cover band? Ian, you've had a long and great ride...but it's time to move on.

21. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

It is the most baffling situation in rock. why does he keep doing this? each year it gets worse.

if he cant play with the old tull members for whatever reason, why doesn't he do an acoustic tour performing all the tull acoustic songs? I think that would be wonderful and well received regardless of his voice, solo acoustic without the cover band

22. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Saw him about 10 years ago on a solo tour and he sounded great, in these recent videos however his voice is just completely shot, very sad to hear it's like he is not even singing at all anymore.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Brilliant idea. At the time JT first appeared in the charts I was studying 18th century history at school. When a classmate was asked who Jethro Tull was he cheekily answered 'Its a pop group sir'.

Lost In The Flood and ParloFax like this.
  24. serj

serj Forum Resident

Last week we saw the "The Rock Opera Performed by Ian Anderson" at the Moscow. It was my third JT concert & the weakest one for sure. The only really "energy" song was the last one - "Locomotive Breath". Ian sang it almost alone (like all of us like, i guess). Very sad thoughts & feelings after the show, really. Ian is too old now to sing the full concert alone:(

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You know, that moment comes to everyone. Sad yes, but one accepts the cycle of life. The issue really is that he carries on. The "rock opera" is right out of Spinal Tap. Surely someone can tell him he really ought to call it a day? This is just embarassing - and that's coming from a big Tull fan.

serj likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.