Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

How does one "remove" mastering? Do you mean they went back a generation, to the unmastered files as they were just before Mew worked on them? Or did they take Mew's master and somehow un-master it, as though with multiple clicks of the "Undo" button?

2. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

BINGO! They went back a generation, to the unmastered files as they were just before Mew worked on them.

bobcat likes this.
  3. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

"the same CD (with the Mew mastering) is sold separately from the box."

Thanks for that. I would imagine the SHM falls into the same category, if you read the listing on CDJapan.
    Thick As A Brick [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] Jethro Tull CD Album
    As it does on the Stand Alone CD.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

C'mon, you can figure that one out yourself.

SyrinxTemple and bobcat like this.
  5. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I've always wondered who in their right mind would let a Pokemon work as a mix engineer. o_O

hazard, Runicen and heepsterandrey like this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Mew was a fine mix engineer and did quad as well as stereo mixes of high standards. It's his mastering late in his old age which suffers.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  7. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I assumed it meant that they went back to the unmastered source, but the wording of the post was confusing. Using the pre-mastered source isn't the same thing as "removing" the mastering. An un-mastered file has no mastering to remove.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The disc authoring setup has assets folders, which has mastering that can be removed and replaced.

bobcat likes this.
  9. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Sorry, but I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

10. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Are you nitpicking for the sake of it?

The wording of the post was "confusing" - as has been pointed out to you by others - only if you want it to be.

SyrinxTemple likes this.
  11. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Hey Plan. When you get to Broadsword make sure you tell Steve to fix the crappy snare on beastie, jackalynn, pssy willow etc :D

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Not to worry, I'm sure Broadsword will be suitably improved. ;)

13. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

:laugh:

tootull likes this.
  15. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Is he fussy with bad 80s snares? Lol
    A bit less volume and some eq should do the trick with the drum track

16. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

I wish he removed some of the synth in "Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow". That song is so awesome but the synths sound jarring at times. Ditto on the snare sounds.

Carserguev likes this.
  17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I have no problems with the synths. At least they don’t sound hollow. 3/4 of the album have reasonable drums but they could be touched up still. Beastie, clasp and Willow need the most drum work on the album. The outtakes need a bit of work too. Jackalynn drums suck lol. Some other outtakes have a bit too much reverb. The high and low frequencies could be dropped too. One of my fave songs is I’m your gun. The drums sound messy though. Need to be toned down

Carserguev likes this.
  18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

As am I. One case where Wilson's remixing isn't my cuppa joe, and that MFSL is like buttah.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  19. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Agreed. If you took the 70s production to Broadsword and combined the best songs from that album with some of the outtakes, you'd have an album that rivaled any of the 70s classics. As it is, a very good album.. I'm hoping Steven Wilson will make it a great one.

Bonddm likes this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Didn't Steve say to Ian in regards to just how far he'd like to see this series of remixes go that at least all the 70s albums. So Broadsword is a little late in the game. And if any album needs some synth and drums worked on (or completely replaced) it is Under Wraps, no?

But I thought Stormwatch was the last of the 70s recordings? And the likely next one after HH.

Was there a recent interview I missed where Steve W discusses the desire to jump straight ahead to the 80s albums?

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Maybe not the stereo, but the SW 5.1 remix reveals another musical dimension, especially to side two of the program. TAAB or course I am speaking of, one the finest albums Tull has done.

22. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

When are they going to put us out of our misery and announce a reissue of the TAAB book edition?!

Galactus2, quicksrt, Plan9 and 2 others like this.
  23. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Some quotes were left out but, just mentioning that the statement that
    is incorrect. I have the 2015 stand alone cd playing now, with the "Yeah" clearly heard. I bought it after the disappointment of getting an un-corrected Book version.
    Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (The 2012 Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
    https://burningshed.com/store/jethrotull/jethro-tull-thick-as-a-brick-cd
    https://www.amazon.com/Thick-As-Bri...ds=jethro+tull+thick+as+a+brick+0825646146468
    Discogs lists it as The 2012 Steven Wilson Stereo Remix. I assume that the SHM is the same mix, with mastering by Peter Mew and that the only Mew-less flat transfer available is the HD Tracks version.
    I think Mr. Mew's mastering on The Best Of Acoustic Jethro Tull is fine by the way. That one goes on the player each year when the leaves begin to turn.
    Jethro Tull - The Best Of Acoustic

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  24. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Your assumption is wrong. Have you not been reading this thread?

It's been established - and there were numerous posts about it - that the SHM does NOT have the Mew mastering.

I find it strange that you respond to posts the contents of which you don't appear to have read.

calgary669 and Plan9 like this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Surprised you guys are finding so many things to dislike about Broadsword. I have confidence Steve Wilson will bring something new to the table, but it sounds great as is too. I think at this point, telling Steve what we'd liked fixed is a little.... disingenuous. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.