Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Love Broadsword.....no complaint here!!!

tootull and PJayBe like this.
  2. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Thats usual suspect(s) here that call themselves "Fans" but only can bear A Tull album when it is completele reconstructed with half of the tracks left out....

3. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

I think sometimes it's the producers in us. We love a song but then think we would have done something a little different EQ wise or mix wise. And Steven is the one fan with access to the multitracks. He's able to do whatever he desires (while still keeping utmost respect to the original tapes). I think some of us just wish we could do what Steven does lol.

Maybe after this remix craze is done, some artists might start releasing digitized multitracks to the public? I bet many people would be willing to pay good money for that. Of course it would just be for personal use only, it wouldn't affect the original albums in any way.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You mean the intent would be for personal use only, and you'd hope (like a snowball's chance in hell) that it would not effect the original album's legacy in any way. Giant laugh out loud, sorry.

5. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

Well plenty of isolated tracks are available out there on the Internet already. Classic tracks by Queen, entire Yes albums, Rush, etc. Many artists are selling their stems for a premium price. It is already happening to some extent and I wouldn't say the original mixes are cheapened in any way. That could also be because the older generation is still here to keep the legacy of the originals alive. In 50 years who knows, maybe the old stuff will be all mashed up with EDM beats.

It all comes down to capitalism though. ZZ Top remixed their catalog in the 80s to sound more current back then. But demand ruled and everyone wanted the original sound back. In the longer term who knows how it will play out though...

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's a crapshoot

7. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Finally tracked down the book edition. Unfortunately it's got the defective DVD. Oh well, looks pretty next to all the others on my shelf.

Do any sites offer the corrected version in 5.1 as a download? I've never done that. Even throwing the non glitchy version on a USB stick would suffice. Don't care about the stereo since I have the remix LP. Anyone know?

8. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Let the record show that I'm with you guys. :laugh:

5.1 Tull is a dream come true for me. Take note, I'm the one (when asked) that requested the quad transfers to be 4.0 instead of the 4.1 that Aqualung became. I even tried to get Aqualung switched back to 4.0. I don't like too much messing about.

:cheers:

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I also like my quad in 4.0, but I have installed a toggle switch in my center channel cable so I simple shut off center with the flip of a switch. I even do it with 5.1 mixes to see or hear things without vocals or what ever is in center.

I also have a player that is connected up so that rear channels play in all four speakers so I can groove to only surround program material but have it coming from four speakers. Wonderful way to explore a mix when you want to dig deeper into it.

I love these 5.1 mixes but have a soft spot for vintage quad when it's mastered well.

10. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

I'm as strange as they come pal. You have no idea. I find it weird and offensive to see there's confrontational trolling going on.
    If I've missed something, I'm glad I have you to point it out. Have you not been reading about the fact that the 2015 CD contains the Yeah as well as the SHM?
    You say, "It's been established" that the SHM is Mew-less. Going back to post #1217, I've read, "My guess is," "from what I've heard" and "assuming the chart is correct." The SHM states the opposite and there's inconsistency. If you find you disagree with something I've ventured a guess about, state your opposing source specifically. Don't tell me how strange I am.

11. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I didn't say you were strange. I said I find it strange. It's there in black and white. Pal.

12. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

O, hai..

I got the TAAB box at a record fair about a year ago, £20 bargain, after having kept half an eye out for it on ebay for donkies yrs...

I always loved the cover, would read it in Knights/Woodley for ages back in the day, never bought it or heard it, and I'm not rushing to listen to this one even now it's really not my sort of thing. But one day I will.

What was the issue with the DVD anyone? Totally unreadable, or some part of it? I mean, if it's duff then OK I'm not gonna chase a fixdisc, just interested. And hey, if I find the DVD is OK after all, might actually listen to it.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Nothing like that. It was an audio problem.
    A mix issue with the 5.1 mix, on top of that a very bright mastering on both the 5.1 and stereo remixes, and the final "yeah" cut off.
    Only the 5.1 remix was corrected on the DVDs in the second pressing of the bookset.

MGSeveral and fredblue like this.
  14. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Seconded. I can grasp why a lot of people don't care for the '80s production touches of Broadsword, but I don't think the material would work as well were it recorded by the Heavy Horses lineup using the same recording techniques either. What I like about Tull in the '80s is that the technology informed the songs as much as the songs informed the technology. Honestly, that's what makes that era so interesting to me in general for Tull. There are bands that tried to remain contemporary by having some engineer slap a Linn drum over the proceedings or whatever, but Ian seemed to genuinely get into the weeds, even doing a lot of keyboard work himself. He's also seemed to gravitate towards keyboardists as collaborators (Palmer, Vetesse, and Giddings, most notably) and those collaborators left a very distinct mark on the material he was coming up with during their tenure.

Honestly, if any album actually needed a "re-imagining," it would be Under Wraps only because the mixture doesn't gel on that one. The songs are there, but something in the production is distinctly awry. Compare it even to Walk Into Light from the previous year and it's astounding how poorly the electronics are integrated (or maybe it's how poorly the acoustics are integrated ;)).

Pete Puma, tootull and folkfreak like this.
  15. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

exactly this ! (minus the last sentence :) )

tootull likes this.
  16. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

50th anniversary not far away :cool:

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Over 4 years?!

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

46 down!

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

A mix issue? Please give us a tiny bit more info on this flaw that is besides mastering preference.

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Too much phasing on the cymbals at some point, which reacted badly to Mew's bright mastering.

Bonddm and quicksrt like this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Tull's Magnum Opus was slightly flawed as a deluxe edition, it still sold out every copy!

Time to press up another batch. But remember to use the corrected master.

22. tootull

A tiny bit more...
    spin me back down the years and the days of my youth
    The word down is messed (slight drop) up on the dts mix.
    The next "down" (2:49) seems weird too.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I believe that there are some sections where flanging is intention on hi-hat or cymbals.

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes that's right.

25. tootull

Five years, five years of this, slight insanity :laugh: going on here. Still, thanks to Steven Wilson for listening and fixing.

We've got five years, my brain hurts a lot - David Bowie ;)

New shoes - hoping 2018 brings a fine Heavy Horses.

Plan9 and purple-lazy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.