Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well when this Tull DE set was released there was a serious lack of discussion on the topic. I even asked what the deal was why no thread staying near the top. The answer was this form does not get very excited about surround and is even less enthusiastic about non-high-Rez releases.

Anyway I look it like this - TAAB is to Tull what CTTE is to Yes. A very important work that has stood the test of time. Shame on those members who turned up their noses at this album and it's thrilling 5.1 presentation.

The Hud likes this.
  2. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"...serious lack of discussion on this topic...."

Are you sure? What about this whole thread?

Ok, it's not Beatles length but 53 pages is not "serious lack of discussion".

As for your "answer" you couldn't be more wrong. Are you sure you're talking about this forum?

3. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

See post 1212

bmoregnr likes this.
  4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

YES THERE IS A STEVEN WILSON STEREO REMIX AVAILABLE ON CD WITHOUT PETER MEW MASTERING

The SHM.

ponkine likes this.
  5. I think that's a bit harsh. 5.1 mixes are not for everyone and frankly SW's 2.o mix is not what I would characterize as an improvement over the original.

6. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Unmastered Steven Wilson mix on HDtracks is brilliant. And his surround presentation on DVD is also splendid. I'm quite happy with that combo.

DonnyMe, Plan9, The Hud and 1 other person like this.
  7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I don't understand how anyone is happy with just an HDtracks version for the best mastering. Why would I want the best-sounding version of a classic album only available to me on a cd-r?

old45s likes this.
  8. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I don’t know if anyone’s thrilled about it but the reality is:
    • TAAB is one of my favorite albums ever
    • I have all at SW/Tull boxes
    • I was able to get the replacement DVD when the label issued it
    • I got the HD tracks version on sale with a coupon which I burned to DVD-A
    • That configuration gives me a flat transfer of the original mix in 24/96, the stereo remix in 24/96, and the 5.1 in DTS, just like the other boxes
    • That configuration is equal to all the other sets in sound quality and enjoyment to me

9. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

because I for one don't care for physical products anymore. I buy downloads wherever possible and when I buy a physical product because of the extras like these great box sets the first thing I do is rip the content to my digital collection . After that I never touch the discs again...so I don't care what mastering the box has, as I only listen to the files on my hd

surfling likes this.
  10. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with that. If they were released with more of the outtakes we would
    Well I consider Tull the best of all time pretty comfortably. So there's no problem with loving bonus tracks :)

11. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Just want to ask. Is there anyone who doesn't have problems with Peter Mew's mastered Steven Wilson remix? :)

12. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Hey forum, can anyone tell me why this particular title nowadays costs around 200 pounds (for the second hand copy) on Discogs and Amazon?
    Why only this title of all the Deluxe Editions is so pricy?

Also If I were to sell my pristine copy of it, is it better to sell it before the 50th anniversary edition will see the light of day or later?

Thanks.

Keith V likes this.
  13. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

It’s pricey cause it’s sold out and out of print. I sold mine for a decent price at discogs after buying the hdtracks download. I’m sure there’s gonna be a new reissue at some point as it’s one of Tulls most popular albums. Maybe 50th anniversary indeed.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  14. There’s more value if you also have the corrected DVD disc.

Keith V likes this.
  15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I have one. Thinking of selling.

wayneklein likes this.
  16. For those looking for the 5.1 at HDTracks, I don’t think it’s available there any longer. The stereo Wilson version appears to be.

17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I would be curious to know if anyone is buying this set at these prices.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They once had it???

19. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I don't think they have ever sold multichannel downloads.

Plan9 and quicksrt like this.
  20. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I got the corrected 5.1 mix by requesting a replacement DVD from the label at the time. I only got the re/unmastered stereo remix on HD Tracks. I was just listing the ridiculous steps required to correct the set.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you like the TAAB book set and the 5.1 mix on the DVD and are thinking of selling it because you think there might be a similar version released in the future is taking a chance IMO. There could be 50th anniversary of TAAB released and it could be an even better version than this current version but it might not. Then you'd be in a situation of replacing the current version for big bucks of not having it at all. Sometimes passing on the chance to make a quick buck is the best course of action :).

showtaper, Tom34772 and The Hud like this.
  22. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

How can TAAB remix only has 55 pages? :o
    SFTW has 100 lol

23. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

Of course, every time I see this thread is updated, I wonder if the reason is that TAAB is going to be reissued with all the necessary corrections.

I coughed up $100 for the set with the corrected DVD.

— Tom

izgoblin likes this.
  24. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I do the same. I have the set with the bad DVD - haven't yet coughed up big bucks for the corrected one. I think you got a fair enough deal at 100 clams.

25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

In comparison to the other sets, the TAAB set is severely lacking. No bonus tracks or video. The corrected 5.1 is very cool, but that is about all you get.

If there is a live recording of the complete album, I would be very interested to hear it.

Six Bachelors likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.