Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purple-lazy

purple-lazy Forum Resident

I have a copy of the uncorrected set (unloaded by Pop Market with no mention of its flaws). The offer to replace this disc was long closed by the time I found out about it.

I also purchased the HD Tracks Hi Res version, and I'll buy a new set if it ever comes out (fingers crossed for the 50th).

However I'd like to obtain a corrected disc for the 5.1 in the meantime. I've looked for a source in all the usual download places, but I can't find a corrected version that's still available. If anyone knows where to look I'd appreciate a PM.

Thanks.

tonewheeltom likes this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not only that, but the conversation content is 90% about defective discs and other deluxe editions in the series. There is a severe lack of comments here on TAAB remix and surround virtues.

No, thread count is not an indication of any serious discussion. You might want to read those 53 pages before you assume there is any real music discussion going on. Quality and not quantity I speak of.

And no, you read incorrectly, the answer is what I was given when I asked the question. It's not my answer back.

So, yeah not that much going on so far as quality discussion on the mixes unless you would like to crank it up and get it going?

3. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Not many people have it, either.

I do. It’s one of my favorite albums and favorite surround mixes.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have it and agree. A very major work given a spruce up, with side two particularly improved.

tonewheeltom likes this.
  5. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

They didn't need bonus tracks for this one :)

6. Hoping they have found a respectable soundboard of a 72 show with this to go in the rumoured 50th anniversary live box.Whatever is happening we won't hear anything until a month or two after release of Heavy Horses box.

JulesRules and The Hud like this.
  7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Me too guess just being hopefull

8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Did the Thick As A Brick deluxe get remastered to correct the faults mentioned up thread? Sorry if I have missed the info. I bought my set on release but do not have a 5.1 set up and only really play the original stereo mix.

9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

True, but a live version would have been much appreciated.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Only the 5.1 mix was corrected on the bookset's 2nd pressing DVD. Nothing else was touched.

The stereo remix was finally corrected on the 2014 Hi-Res download (and the 2015 japanese SHM-CD, apparently).

Flaming Torch likes this.
  11. Flaming Torch

Thanks.

12. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I got mine off eBay in April 2016, new and sealed for £38.19. It's not got the "Yeah" at the end but on countless plays I cannot hear any glitches at the reported times.. "Baffled"..

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

They’re rereleasing the TASB boxed set?

14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Not at this time.

rstamberg likes this.
  15. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

There were not as many complaints about Thick As A Brick as there were for the 2011 Aqualung. This is probably because not every DVD was affected by the less obvious production glitches. The 5.1 was replaced because of the number of complaints affecting more DVDs. For example, when I was helping with the Benefit set I heard a glitch that no one had noticed. It was discovered that the glitch on Benefit only affected every third or fourth DVD during production. This was corrected so that no problems occurred on the DVDs released to the public. Most glitches happen at peak levels on a disc. It's my opinion that more problems can happen with brighter mastering in this regard.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    ParloFax, tonewheeltom, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  16. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

^ You mean "more complaints" regarding the big cream-colored Aqualung box from 2011, right? Not the book version from 2016?

tootull likes this.
  17. tootull

Right. Thanks! Fixed. :)

j4yheindeo likes this.
  18. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

Cool, I need to pick up the book versions of Aqualung & Too Old ... since I let Stand Up get by me, it appears ...

Thanks for the clarification ! :tiphat:

tootull likes this.
  19. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I didn't realize the stereo was also defective in some way. After hearing about the issue on the SH Forums (!) I got the corrected 5.1. This was even before purchasing a 5.1 rig. Glad I did so.

Not letting any of these get by me. Almost let Too Old to get by me but got 'em all so far and HH is on pre-order.

BTW - the 5.1 is really amazing - 5.1 demo quality. DTS layer for me. At first I thought I liked the Dolby versions was better but have since changed my mind.

Plan9 likes this.
  20. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

You should just change your forum name to this post so you no longer need to answer the question every day.

Tom34772, MoonPool, Plan9 and 5 others like this.
  21. tootull

Maybe he'll get the words tattooed in honour of the legendary Brick. Never forgetting the end YEAH. That's a plan, #9. :laugh:

cats are on the upgrade

Six Bachelors, Plan9 and DesertChaos like this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

:biglaugh:

tootull likes this.
  23. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

What about the bit about it being a remix and not a remaster?

Is there room for that also?

Six Bachelors and MoonPool like this.
  24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

:cry:

I take it as an exercise in Zen, really. (hence my avatar, probably)

25. Flaming Torch

I only have the big cream coloured Aqualung box. Is the book format a corrected version? I am very fortunate to have the old gold (DCC) I think Aqualung.
    I was also not aware the book format deluxe boxes were selling out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.