Jethro Tull - This Was and Mr. Steven Wilson *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dougb222, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Did they literally record everything to just four tracks or did they do tape bouncing? If they did, there could easily be more than four tracks with which to work on a remix.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Seems pretty clear even just to the ear that Sunshine Day is the This Was band (Jethro Tull) and Aeroplane is not. The 20-year box, of course, confirms the latter by listing the lineup. Lawrence seems to lump SD in with the others, so I'm glad for the follow-up questions ~ the no B-side for SD & Lawrence's memories of Mick Abrahams again argue for a different, later session. Maybe no one's actually disputing that? but it's a tad confusing.

Great share, though, thanks! I've been pouting against too many Evans Band tracks on a This Was reissue...but now I really wanna hear Straight No Chaser! :pleased:

3. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

No bouncing at all, as far as one can tell from the Peter Mew remix.

4. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

I had a CD-R of the John Evan Smash stuff that circulates a couple decades ago but the sound quality made it pretty much unlistenable. I believe A New Day kinda sorta put out a semi-legitish version at one point. I wonder if what I had was just a really bad multi generational copy of a copy of a copy of a copy or if that's all that exists? Whatever the case I wouldn't mind hearing that cleaned up though from what I remember it was for curiosities' sake only more than anything. I could be wrong. Really was such awful quality I never made it through it before tossing the CD-R.

5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I heard the version of Hold On....I alluded to upthread on the internet recently but I cant' seem to trace it. It was obviously an amateur recording from a gig over half a century ago, but I've heard much worse and I wouldn't have called it 'unlistenable.'

6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The infuriating thing about the Derek Lawrence interview is that they asked him where the tapes are, and he answered with a list of song titles and studio names! Perhaps he misconstrued "whereabouts" as "where were they recorded" instead of the (to me at least) more interesting question, "where are they?" and the implied follow-up, "please may we please hear them please?"

Lands End Drums likes this.
  7. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

That recording was made by one of the band members for the new guitarist so that he could learn the songs.

Siegmund likes this.
  8. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

" I did things to that record that generated a very immersive experience. I was very limited, but ironically it sounds fantastic in surround."
    (Steven Wilson talking about the 5.1 mix of This Was)

Nice.

FVDnz, Ed Hughes, Plan9 and 6 others like this.
  10. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Wow ! This Was in surround?

Wow!

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Me too. I find it weird that he would say that considering he accepted the job originally to be able to work on Dun Ringill. Maybe don't write him off just yet? (I'm the dark just as much as you are for this one)

JulesRules, FVDnz, Dok and 2 others like this.
  13. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Calling tootull - please say it ain't so.

14. My fingers are crossed that SW completes the trilogy. I’m excited for the This Was set that’s coming. I’ve been hoping for this to be a reality for a long time!

Runicen and DreamTull like this.
  15. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Looking forward to This Was, but I too was hoping for a SW remixing of Storm Watch. I hope he finds the time to do this and work on his own project as well.

16. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

17. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Must be dreaming - I thought Stormwatch had been remixed already.
    I wish! :angel:

DaveJ likes this.
  18. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Indeed...I have the original analogue release and its gorgeous!

The bands BEST record! (THEY MADE A MISTAKE GETTING RID OF THAT GUY)

The 2nd album isnt nearly as good!

Mark Snowden likes this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Obviously I'm eager for Steve to work on Stormwatch.

But for me, having him rework This Was is such a delight. I so love that album. Whatever he's been able to do with it will be fantastic. I know it's a blues album, and not considered a Tull classic, but in my home it's front and center, and I just love it. Wonder if it'll be full-on book form?

DaveJ likes this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

:laugh:
    Steve or Steven? on this forum you might want to be more specific :)

21. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

If it is book form does anybody think they would leave" Benefit" in the CD size case?
    I would re-buy Benefit if they released it in book form. But then I have a buying problem. :D

22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Me too! They can have my money! I guess when it comes to album like This Was, I worry that Ian Anderson isn't very interested, and that sufficient material for an 80-page book may not be there. Even in the last reissue campaign, the early albums got scarce text from Anderson, compared to the later ones. Still, here's hoping!

Ed Hughes likes this.
  23. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

A shame of Wilson doesn’t do Stormwatch. Arguably could be the biggest revelation of the bunch and there should be a wealth of bonus material. If Jakszyk carries on it won’t be the end of the world but I much prefer Wilson’s mixes.

Runicen and Kim Olesen like this.
  24. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Yes, but it's 4-channel, not 5.1.

25. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Yeah, people have a habit of calling him "Steve," which does irk me a little, lol.