Jethro Tull - This Was and Mr. Steven Wilson *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dougb222, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Looking forward to This Was.

jstger6969, Todd W. and FVDnz like this.
  2. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

I would definetively wait for any more official confirmation. It is weird that SW would want to remix This Was: not a prog album, no chance of mixing 5.1., a good remix already in existance...

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

ITCOTCK was recorded on 8 tracks, not 4.

4. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I have wondered about the 4 tracks before and I'm sure Plan9 mentioned that it's still possible to create a 5.1 mix. It will be interesting to listen nonethelesser. Heck, I'd still be happy if it were a quadraphonic mix with the .1 included... ;)

Plan9 likes this.
  5. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

To be fair - Songs from the Big Chair and Sparkle in the Rain aren't really that Prog related to begin with, are they? XTC too for that matter...

6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Much as it'd be a drag if Songs from the Wood and the subsequent albums SW is on board to remix got pushed back, having just listened to the HD version of Minstrel in the Gallery from the book set DVD yesterday.... Yeah, I can't get enough of SW's contributions to this catalog. He's doing amazing work and even where excellent sounding versions exist, he's substantively improving on them by sprinkling whatever fairy dust he has on tap over the mix.

I suppose this means it's only a matter of time before we get another Benefit reissue in the book format...

Haggis Wampovich and JulesRules like this.
  7. belardd

belardd Senior Member

I suppose this means it's only a matter of time before we get another Benefit reissue in the book format..

Please.....

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

No complaints from me. It appeals to the part of me that craves uniformity on a shelf. :laugh:

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yeah, it is possible. It's not just putting a track in each channel. :laugh:

tootull, JulesRules and FVDnz like this.
  10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I laughed too:p you could put a mono drum track spread between rear speakers, a mono vocal track between 3 front channels, say maybe guitar right front with slight bleed to rear, and flute center to left.

tootull, Plan9 and FVDnz like this.
  11. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I clearly didn't learn much or wasn't even listening back when I was studying Audio Engineering over 10 years ago. Still with that said, I didn't finish my course at the time either lol. :laugh:

12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I'd rather have Wilson work on 'Heavy Horses' than 'This Was'.

Pete Puma, tootull, Todd W. and 2 others like this.
  13. Daniel Falaschi

I would´t mind having a remixed This Was 50th and a Heavy Horses 40th both in 2018. :cool::p:goodie:

14. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I would have been game if we got TAAB much like Aqualung released next year to mark 45 years along with Songs from the Wood and definitely have This Was the same year as Heavy Horses like you mention, but I have a feeling we'll probably end up with TAAB in around April 2018 like Aqualung released in April of this year - and likely Heavy Horses towards the end of that year. No doubt it will frustrate fans so maybe they'd do a service to release the 2018 remixes the other way round.

And I do have a feeling This Was will be released 12 months from now thus Songs coming first. :)

JulesRules likes this.
  15. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Songs From the Wood is definitely coming first :) I'm really psyched. Gosh, the original mix sounded amazing ~ can't even imagine how good Wilson's mix is gonna sound....

I'm pretty darn happy with the previous This Was deluxe. Then again, that's what I said about Stand Up..... :)
    The book alone is truly worth the price on that one, may it be so with This Was even if there's not much new to add audio-wise.

16. I really hope that SW takes a crack at This Was. He seems to have some fairy dust and why not sprinkle a little on the first album? Also, there is something to be said for completion of the JT catalog. I would also welcome Benefit in book form.
    So far, he has done a spectacular job. Kudos to both SW for the excellent work and to Ian Anderson for making these updates happen.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

FVDnz, Runicen, dougb222 and 6 others like this.
  18. Daniel Falaschi

As long as it includes some extras, it will be interesting. Though the 2008 edition will be hard to improve.

19. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Peter Mew takes some heat here, but I think he did a darn good job with this one.

moops, murrays, tootull and 2 others like this.
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

He is a better mixing engineer than mastering engineer, IMO.

Todd W., folkfreak and tootull like this.
  21. Any additional quotes from Steve Wilson that he is committed to getting This Was completed with a 5.1 mix?

22. Daniel Falaschi

Not any more recent than the "eventually will be done" quote.

Pete Puma likes this.
  23. ...Yet there is the omission of the "Hey Santa..." line from the mono (IIRC) version of A Christmas Song!.. Plus some weird stuff happening with the snare drum coming in too late in the mix. But it's possible this one oddity could be on the original mono tape... something that somehow couldn't be changed?..

24. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

And the possible discovery of an early rehearsal tape?

anth67 likes this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You'd really flatten out the 5.1 spread with that much mono going on speaker to speaker. No need to. Even with vocals in center chan only, there is more to work with than that much mono in rears and again in fronts. It takes thinking out of the box on this one for sure.