Jethro Tull - This Was and Mr. Steven Wilson *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dougb222, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2018
  2. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

That's right, thanks for the reminder.

3. Pardon me to insist, but did they fix these at last? Or was I wrong in assuming these were goofs?

4. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I don't have surround sound. The books have been great, but I don't think I will be missing anything much there and have only read the others once. And a couple of unreleased bonus tracks? Thanks for the info. I think I will skip this.

5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

JulesRules likes this.
  6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Actually no and I'm quite sure I have no idea why you posted this...........:shrug: I thought I was respectful and thanked you.

7. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

8. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

You will be missing great remix by Steve Wilson! It is really awesome, and much better then previous remaster, at least to my ears.
    And original mix. And mono.
    But I agree that large part of value for me is surround mix, and I also would thought quite hard to sink 40 bucks into just CD.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  9. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Thank you........but it is hard for me to imagine it is that "much better" stereo/mono than the Peter Mew job. But again, thanks for the reply

Mark Snowden and Old Zorki II like this.
  10. And you did wind up with the HH DVD without marks? I’ve exchnged two sets from Amazon and they all have the same marks. Maybe it’s time I order this fresh from BS?

11. Old Zorki II

I still do not understand the fuss about HH video DVD. It still plays fine pretty much for everyone, it is not a vinyl record where scuffs can ruin the sound...

12. Old Zorki II

And also 24/96 stereo remix, in a lot of systems far superior sounding then CDs! :)

Jimijam likes this.
  13. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

14. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

So, I guess I could engage my OPPO 1o3. Again, thanks, but I am just not convinced. Aqualung and Benefit were revelatory to me. Most of the others had significant more bonus tracks and live shows attached. But again, thanks.

15. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I bought it in a local store. When I returned it, they opened the three other copies they had, and all of them had marks, so it seems to be a problem of the whole edition. But they play fine.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  16. I understand that’s most likely the whole batch. The OP mentioned getting a replacement from Burning Shed and I wondered if it was indeed unmarked.

17. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Just opened mind - and again the same comment as with previous ones. It looks fantastic - they really are a good example to others how to do these anniversary sets. Sounds great to my ears. Though it will never be one of my favourite Tull albums - it is pretty unique in they Tull cannon.

Old Zorki II and Galeans like this.
  18. Old Zorki II

Looks like Freudian slip ))

JulesRules and Snow2 like this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm listening to the 4.1 mix for the first time.
    Indulge my lack of critical depth, but I can only say: wow.
    I'm stunned by the clarity and power of this mix.

Jimijam, alx7, Runicen and 5 others like this.
  20. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

and I've not even had a drink yet!! :)

The only thing I would add to my wish list is that Benefit is given the same treatment as the others. It seems a little sad sitting on top of my other Tull anniversary sets!

bobcat, Jimijam, mikew and 3 others like this.
  21. Old Zorki II

Same here, I also waiting for TAAB to get a proper treatment.

bobcat, JulesRules, highway and 3 others like this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I definitely respect your thoughts as far as not buying the This Was deluxe book set. But unless you hear Steven Wilson's remix how will you know that it's not "much better" than the Peter Mew CD? The other factor is that as the Jethro Tull book sets go OOP they become quite desirable and go up in value. Just a thought :).

I have them all and I'm glad as the 4.0 and 5.1 SW mixes on the DVDs are excellent :righton:!

dougb222, Hymie the Robot and Norco74 like this.
  23. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

Also quite the contrast to the Beatles White Album 50th anniversary set. Four discs in the This Was set including hi-rez, surround and all of the new and old mixes with some bonus tracks for $45 versus having to spend $200 to get the same with the Beatles set.

In that regard, yes, Tull fans are lucky. All of these Tull sets have been really well done, smartly put together and fairly priced.

24. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I have all of the Jethro Tull book sets
    released so far (with the exception of
    "Thick As A Brick"). My interest in these lie primarily with the bonus material, as I do not have a 5.1 setup.
    And I already have the 40th Anniversary Collectors' Edition 2CD set. Therefore, I have been very much
    on the fence with this release since it
    was first announced.

Is the original 1968 UK stereo mix on
    CD3 very different than the original
    U.S. stereo mix? How are the previously unreleased tracks?

So . . . sell me (or not) on the new 50th
    Anniversary set!

25. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Oh well, to each their own... I never thought that I would rebuy any Tull in my lifetime and a year after SFTW book edition release as my first rebuy, I went Tullistic and rebought all of the book edition.

That says as much on the quality, dedication, passion and efforts put in these boxsets.