DCC Archive Jethro Tull's First Three: Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ED in NY, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member Thread Starter

Just got these in the mail today. On first listen they are much improved over the previous US pressings and UK pressings. Personally I like the Stand Up remaster better than the MOFI.
    But there's one thing that's driving me absolutely nuts:On "Beggars Farm" from "This Was" at about 4:10 at the end of the song the whole thing does a hard pan to the right speaker and re-centers just as the song ends. I don't remember this from the original CD, does this sound right to any of you? Please let me know.

Thanks All - ED

2. Douglas

Douglas New Member

Ed can you tell us who did the remastering? Is it Mew at Abbey Road? Or is it someone else? Thanks

3. eBay Feed

eBay Feed Automated

Ed,

I have been dying to hear how the Tull remasters sound.

The hard pan is indeed on the original cd version of Beggars Farm.

Tony

4. ED in NY

I went thru all 3 CD booklets and back covers and they all say the same thing: Reissue Co-ordination: Jo Brooks & Nigel Reeve. Nowhere is Peter Mew or Abbey Road mentioned (this doesn't really mean anything though). I should also mention that my copies are UK imports. The domestic reissues come out on 1/8/02. The track listing will be the same, and my best guess is that the domestic CD's will have the same mastering. I really like the sound of these CD's ! Is this the best these are ever gonna sound ? Dunno, but IMHO they are better than the previous domestic & UK reissues as well as the Originals Box Set that came out in 1997. I couldn't say how they are in comparison to the Japanese pressing as I've not heard those. I also think the new version of Stand Up is a bit better than the MOFI at least to my ears. Also, BIG thanks to Tony for clearing up that Beggars Farm question for me. I got rid of my old disc last spring & couldn't recall that crazy right side pan.

Thanks Much - ED :)

5. Ben

Ben New Member

The "Stand Up" must sound great 'cause the UDCD1 is one of the all-time great sounding MOFI CD's....

Must check it out...out of Hannukah gelt, though...rats!

Best,

Ben
    :cool:

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: Ben ]

6. ED in NY

Hi Ben, yeah the Stand Up UD1 is pretty hard to beat but I'm really enjoying this new remaster. As more people start hearing these new remasters I'm sure some will disagree on them, but all that really matters is what one's ears tell them. Besides for those that don't have the Stand Up MOFI just check out the megabucks they are going for on Ebay or Half.com. One of the highest priced MOFI's out there. Oh well, I'm happy with them. I hope everyone else will be too if they get them.

Enjoy - ED

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I also think the JT remasters sound better than The Originals set - less rolled off and less extraneous noises e.g during Bouree. Stand Up also had some tape drop outs at the start of A New Day Yesterday repaired (or possibly remastered from a better tape) compared with the MoFi and the The Originals. There has been a fair amount of denoising done - the original UK Island Stand Up had *LOTS* of tape hiss which is no longer evident.I'm keeping The Originals for the wonderful mini-vinyl cover replicas - the remasters' booklets are a little average. The Japanese versions should be good to see - they will probably sound like the UK remasters and look like The Orignals - the best of both.
    If anyone is interested in the notes Ian Anderson wrote for the MoFi issue of Warchild (they were only briefly available on the MoFi site), I have a copy of them in Word format. Email me at
    [email protected] and I will send a copy. ;)

8. John Buchanan

PS be very wary of Aqualung unless this has been remastered since the 25th anniversary. The DCC still stands as the towering achievement!!

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I wonder if there will be Japanese paper sleeves. Especially for Stand Up! That would really be unique!

They'd *probably* sound the same, though.

Well we'll know soon enough, I guess!

:)

10. Ben

Ben New Member

Ed in NY:

Hope all is well in the Apple...hometown boy here - Upper East Side...have been scrounging between the pillows in the living room and broke open my kid's piggy bank and will now march down to the Mall to score these remasters...on Xmas eve no less....btw the PBS series "New York" is now out on DVD -it's stunning!

Happy Holidays and from one NYC boy in the desert - "I'm in a New York state of mind"

Best Wishes,

Ben
    [​IMG]

11. ED in NY

Hi Ben ! All is well here at home. I have to confess I don't live in the city, couple hours north, just outside of Albany, but my sister lives in Brooklyn & works in midtown Manhattan so I'm down there once a month (or more) to visit.

I bought the Tull remasters as UK imports a few weeks ago for $13.99 each and got them in the mail yesterday (yup on Sunday-imagine that!) but they will be available as domestic releases on 1/8. You should be able to find them from $9.99 to $11.99 when they come out in a few weeks.

My best to you, your family & loved ones for Happy Healthy & Safe Holiday Season.

Warmest Regards - Ed

12. John Buchanan

Gary,
    Japanese paper sleeves have already been done and are fast going OOP :mad:

13. Douglas

Douglas New Member

That makes me suspicious. It sounds like they might have used No Noise. Not good.

14. Robert H.

Robert H. Unregistered

I have This Was and Benefit in the Japanese mini-LP and have heard the Stand Up and Thick as a Brick.

Don't get rid of your MoFi's, particularly Stand Up. No comparison.

Yes, they have been extensively No-Noised. Not necessarily a bad thing, and they do sound better by far than previous record company versions, but nothing to get too excited about. Better sound, ok sound, but nothing mind-blowing.

I doubt the original masters were used, likely the second generation copies in the record company's vaults.

15. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yeah, I don't ever think that anyone's gonna beat the MFSL "Stand Up" anytime soon.

16. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Hi,
    I have seen 4 of the first 5 Tull Japanese Paper sleeve issues. I bought Stand-Up, although it was priced at $35, while the other 3(Benefit, This Was, and Aqualung) were $32. I haven't really done a listen yet, as I am trying to set up my new XMAS present(new Yamaha/KEF/Polk surround).

Saw them at Newbury Comics in Leominster and Shrewsbury Mass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.