Jetsons closing theme-skip?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel1963, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been watching the Jetsons for many years, but it was only when I heard the TV's Greatest Hits album that I noticed what appeared to be a rather jolting skip in the ending theme music. I hear it again, but more softly, in this YouTube video (with an original ABC presentation close) at around 1:46-1:47. Anyone know what happened here? A bad edit?

2. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

I think that's always been there.
    Many of HB's themes are edited for time in the closing credits.

It's possible your TV Greatest Hits album use a version recorded for records instead of the TV edit.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There is a Jetsons soundtrack CD that has the theme songs uninterrupted with no edits, if I recall correctly. It's not a cheap package ($200 on Amazon): Hanna-Barbera's Pic-a-Nic Basket Cartoon Classics, released on Rhino.

[​IMG]

That's about as good as those old shows will ever sound. You got me as to why and how the syndicated versions got cut, but my guess is that there was an embedded sponsor voice-over they were trying to cut around. The HB soundtrack came from the studio master mag tracks, so those were sans announcer.

4. Joel1963

The video above is apparently from the original broadcast, as it includes sponsor announcements related to the show, and the ABC tag at the end. Unless the audio is from syndication. That skipping part just makes the music sound chaotic.

5. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I enjoyed the closing credits with the cityscape exteriors.

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Likely an awkward though unavoidable edit.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They are going to have newspapers in the future?

guy incognito likes this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

@Joel1963 -

I assume by "skip" you are actually referring to the section that actually seems to jump slightly backwards, causing a couple of beats of music to repeat, as opposed to music being cut out? (This is during the shot of George and Astro on the treadmill.)

9. Joel1963

Yes

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

That's a very odd jump, indeed. There's a bunch of stuff that occurs a few seconds earlier that's clearly just a bunch of sloppy tape edits, but that couple beats of repetition is weird.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The repeated plucked violin/"Chopsticks" notes have been there for more than 50 years, as you can see from this transfer of the original network open & close:

I hear bad music edits all the time, what I call "meat cleaver editing" where they just slapped it together for time. In the Jetsons closing credits, I think there's at least four or five edits at musical phrases that sound a little sloppy to me. I'm not sure if the version on the Rhino boxed set is completely uncut or not.

GuildX700 likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Meanwhile, here's the Jetsons' opening titles as you never saw them before...

GuildX700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.