Jim Jarmusch's "Dead Man" w/Neil Young Sndtrk. Coming From Criterion In 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Myke, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

Just got this e mail from Criterion :

Ask Jim Jarmusch
    Our popular Q&A series with director Jim Jarmusch is back!
    We are currently working on the special edition of Jarmusch’s Dead Man, which will feature a new 4K restoration and is slated to be released in 2018, and we’re wondering if you have any questions you would like answered about the film.
    We’ll be accepting all of your questions from now until December 8 and sending the most thoughtful and creative ones to Jim. Though we can’t guarantee that all will be answered on the release, feel free to ask as many as you like. Personal requests will not be answered.
    Now ask away! Just make sure to include your full name, city, state, and country of residence with your questions.

ASK JIM JARMUSCH

Bought my DVD in June 2009, for $9.49. This is a must buy for me !

trumpet sounds, Graham and enro99 like this.
  2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Awesome! The current BluRay edition is just terrible. Great to get an upgrade.

enro99 and Myke like this.
  3. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I have not seen this since I rented the DVD from Netflix when it first came out, I do remember Robert Mitchum was in this, his last performance I believe.
    I will probably get this when B & N have another sale.

4. Myke

No, he had 3 more after : Robert Mitchum - IMDb

Al Kuenster likes this.
  5. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

How so? I watched it in my Bluray player on my 65" 4K TV. It looked good to me...
    What didn't you like? Honestly, I am excited to hear of a 4K release, although I don't know how I will watch it...

Maybe someone can answer this. On Netflix, it would stream at 4K, no problem.
    How will they distribute this 4K remaster?

6. Myke

This will be a standard BD, featuring a 4k restoration. It's not a 4k disc.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  7. Vinyl Socks

Nice...I don't know much about this resolution, other than it tends to make old movies (and some newer shows and movies) look like a live TV broadcast...which is good sometimes, not good other times (when you want that original film grain)...
    This is my favorite movie ever...can't wait!

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Presented far too bright, wrong aspect ratio, noisy blacks, edge enhancement, random digital artifacts, digital noise reduction, no subtitles.

9. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

That effect has nothing to do with the resolution, I think you’re talking about the motion smoothing effect on modern TVs (also known as the “soap opera effect”) , which is awful and can be turned off.
    4K is simply more detailed, and when played back natively can have high dynamic range colors (w/ brighter more vivid hues and deeper blacks).. also a lot of 4K remasters from film have plenty of grain, the remaster of Casablanca has much more grain (and much better everything) than the older Blu-ray.

KeninDC likes this.
  10. Vinyl Socks

Interesting...I'd like to calibrate my TV to have all the grain! :D

KeninDC likes this.
  11. Myke

Synopsis: With Dead Man, his first period piece, Jim Jarmusch imagined the nineteenth-century American West as an existential wasteland, delivering a surreal reckoning with the ravages of industrialization, the country's legacy of violence and prejudice, and the natural cycle of life and death. Accountant William Blake (Johnny Depp) has hardly arrived in the godforsaken outpost of Machine before he's caught in the middle of a fatal lovers' quarrel. Wounded and on the lam, Blake falls under the watch of the outcast Nobody (Gary Farmer), a Native American without a tribe, who guides his companion on a spiritual journey, teaching him to dispense poetic justice along the way. Featuring austerely beautiful black-and-white photography by Robby Müller and a live-wire score by Neil Young, Dead Man is a profound and unique revision of the western genre.
    Special Features and Technical Specs:
    NEW 4K DIGITAL TRANSFER, supervised and approved by director Jim Jarmusch, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    NEW Q&A in which Jarmusch responds to questions sent in by fans
    NEW readings of William Blake poems by members of the cast, including Mili Avital, Alfred Molina, and Iggy Pop
    NEW selected-scene audio commentary by production designer Robert Ziembicki and sound mixer Drew Kunin
    NEW interview with actor Gary Farmer
    Deleted scenes
    Jarmusch's location scouting photos
    AND More...
    PLUS: Essays by critic Amy Taubin and music journalist Ben Ratliff
    STREET DATE: APRIL 24.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This and Virgin Suicides are day 1 buys for me in April.

The Hud likes this.
  13. Myke

Listening to the very unusual, yet enjoyable soundtrack right now.

14. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

I bought the soundtrack on cassette after watching the
    movie when it came out. I listened to it a lot at night
    laying in bed with the lights out.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  15. I still remember Roger Ebert's review: "Neil Young's score sounds like a man repeatedly dropping his electric guitar on the floor".

Daniel Plainview and Rocker like this.
  16. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

17. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Well, if they finally make the theme widely available, I will be VERY happy

18. Myke

19. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

milankey and Myke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.