Jim Rodford (Argent, Kinks, Zombies) RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

Wikipedia reports that Jim Rodford, bass player and founder of Argent, later of the Kinks and, most recently the Zombies, has passed away. RIP and thanks for so much great music. I got to speak with him at a 90s Kinks show and he was a kind, gentle man.
    Jim Rodford - Wikipedia

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

3. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

I see him with Dave swinging side by side

MikaelaArsenault and Keith V like this.
  4. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Was he in current touring line-up of the Zombies? They're currently playing the US...

5. He was great in his recent gigs with The Zombies. RIP

keyXVII, 3Dman, longdist01 and 3 others like this.
  6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Saw them with him at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic NJ in 1987...my first rock concert.

JoeF. likes this.
  7. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

wow storied career.rest in peace.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. Zack

Zack Senior Member

He always looked so happy at Kinks gigs, just to be there. RIP Jim.

Bullis and keithdylan like this.
  9. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

this is horrendous. he was in the best live band from that era playing presently (zombies). his voice was critical. his son is their drummer. this is so so sad. now i am in a major funk.

keyXVII and longdist01 like this.
  10. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

A huge loss, but a life well lived and a great example set. Much respect for his dedication.

keyXVII and ajsmith like this.
  11. Music=Life

Music=Life Forum Resident

Had the pleasure of meeting Jim. He was so humble and kind. Gone but never forgotten. RIP Jim.

12. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

[​IMG][​IMG]

Wow, so very sad. This was unexpected. I met him a few times when The Zombies came to Clearwater, FL during a meet and greet. He was such a really nice guy,

When I was talking to Rod Argent about seeing his band Argent many of a time in NYC and The Zombies in FL. he mentioned that Jim Rodford was touring in the latest band line-up.
    And sure enough, he quietly stood in the back while Rod and Colin Blunstone were receiving their deserved attention Jim and I had a really nice chat, touched on many subjects from his playing with The Kinks and working with the Davies's brothers to the comic sticker he had on his bass from the Argent days that said "This is not a piano" as probably a tease to Rod in regards to his intricate writing. I even told him I had a side project cd/album titled "Phoenix" and he gave out a big laugh and said I was the first to admit to having that album.

What a great guy and especially an excellent musician. Thank you Jim for the decades of music and live concerts. RIP!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    keyXVII, Tord, Christopher B and 12 others like this.
  13. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

Sad news, did not think he was that old. He was a big part of the Kinks resurgence in the late 70s.

longdist01 and Bullis like this.
  14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Reports that it was the result of a fall.

He's also Rod Argent's cousin, so it's doubly devastating for The Zombies.

15. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

16. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Jim made a significant contribution to 3 great bands, he will be missed. RIP Jim

keyXVII, CheshireCat and JDeanB like this.
  17. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

18. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Oh man. RIP Jim

He played on a lot of my favorite era Kinks albums. I think I’ll play Low Budget today in his honor.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Posted by Rod Argent on Facebook:

Jim Rodford

It is with deep sadness that I learned this morning that my dear cousin and lifelong friend, Jim Rodford, died this morning after a fall on the stairs. More details are not yet known about the exact cause of death.

Jim was not only a magnificent bass player, but also from the first inextricably bound to the story of The Zombies. An enormous enabler for us. He was actually the first person ever to be asked to join the band, way back in 1961. Because he was in the top St.Albans band of the time (The Bluetones), he turned us down at first, but from day one helped us chart our course. He loaned us The Bluestones' state of the art gear for our very first rehearsal, arranged the rehearsal space, and even showed Hugh the first kick and snare drum pattern our original drummer ever learned. He was responsible for the first song I ever wrote (for The Bluetones - which they recorded); the person who organised most of our early gigs, and the very first person outside the group ever to hear - and pass judgement on - our first record, "She's Not There"(he loved it). Years later, he became founder member, with me, of Argent; and then, for eighteen years, throughout a hugely successful American period for them, was bass player for The Kinks.
    Jim, always a hugely sought after musician, had also had long stints as bass player with both The Mike Cotton Sound and the Lonnie Donegan band.

When Colin and I put together our second incarnation in late 1999, our first phone call was to Jim. He gave us absolutely unflagging commitment, loyalty and unbelievable energy for eighteen years, and our gratitude is beyond measure.

To the end, Jim's life was dedicated to music. He was unfailingly committed to local music - an ever present member of the local scene in St.Albans, where he had spent his whole life. Often, Colin and I would compare notes a couple of days immediately after a U.S. tour and discuss how long it would take us to recover from an intense, fantastic but exhausting couple of months - only to find out and marvel that Jim had already been out playing with local bands (often, but not always, with "The Rodford Files", made up of talented family members) or giving charity shows or lectures on the St.Albans music scene.
    His dedication was rewarded with Doctorate Of Music, granted to him last year by the University Of Hertfordshire.
    Jim was a wonderful person, loved by everybody. When Colin and I, shocked and hardly able to talk, shared the news this morning, Colin said " I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him..."
    He will be unbelievably missed. Goodnight and God Bless dear friend.

Rod

keyXVII, Tord, xilef regnu and 26 others like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I saw him numerous times with the Kinks, starting in the late 1970s until they called it a day in the 1990s. He was a steady presence on bass and backing vocals. Sad to hear this news.

keyXVII, longdist01, ajsmith and 3 others like this.
  21. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

22. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Dave Davies on Twitter:

I’m devastated Jim’s sudden loss I’m too broken up to put words together it’s such a shock i always thought Jim would live forever in true rock and roll fashion - strange - great friend great musician great man - he was an integral part of theKinks later years RIP #JimRodford

[​IMG]

keyXVII, Tord, R. Cat Conrad and 7 others like this.
  23. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Dying after falling down the stairs? That’s terrible and tragic. I was hoping if the Kinks reunited he would be a part of it. So sad....

keyXVII and CheshireCat like this.
  24. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Terrible, terrible news. Jim and son Steve were the perfect rhythm section for the Zombies.

Wonder what will happen with the tour? I guess Chris White could fill in, although he'd have to learn the newer songs pretty quickly.

25. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Very sad news
    peace and love✌To his family and friends

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.