Jim Rodford (Argent, Kinks, Zombies) RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Yes, I just saw them at 30A festival last weekend. Great show! RIP

2. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Sad news. RIP

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

4. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

Sad news, indeed. Saw The Zombies twice in the past couple of years and quite enjoyed his playing. RIP

5. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

6. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

Terrible news; had seen him with the Zombies five times over the past decade, and I was always struck by his abilities as a musician and as a harmony singer, and that he seemed to be enjoying himself immensely. What a loss. RIP.

7. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Sad news. But what a cast of bands to have played in! Top musician.

izgoblin likes this.
  8. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

When I saw a thread saying Jim Rockford had died, I thought... wait a minnit... James Garner died a few years ago. I think I need another cup of coffee. lol Anyway, RIP Jim RODford.

MikaelaArsenault and melstapler like this.
  9. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I saw The Kinks and spoke many times with Jim Rodford. A kind, quiet gentleman, who always had time to talk about the concert and the band. Often hidden behind and between the two-headed giant on stage that was Ray and Dave Davies, but Jim Rodford was a vital part of some of the most successful years of The Kinks (1978-1996).
    Jim Rodford RIP.

keyXVII and agundy like this.
  10. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

RIP Jim! Condolences to family and friends......

11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Unbelievable. Although I knew he was older than the others, Jim was always so youthful and energetic. What an incredible musician. The thought of never seeing him perform again with The Zombies or even The Kinks or Argent for that matter is devastating. Condolences to his son Steve.

keyXVII and CheshireCat like this.
  12. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Odd - in the Top Of The Pops video for 'Autumn Almanac', Pete Quaife has 'This IS a piano' written on his bass (see 52 secs in).. I wonder if this and Jim's sticker were both part of a running injoke amongst Kinks bassists?

13. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

RIP. So glad we saw them a couple years back. My love Julie (also now gone) pointed him out and said "He looks like your dad!" For the rest of the night we enjoyed the show with "my dad" playing bass. What a fun night.

izgoblin, keyXVII, melstapler and 3 others like this.
  14. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Dammit, that sucks. So sorry to hear this.

He was great when I saw him last spring with the Zombies. Always hoped I'd get the chance to see him reunite with The Kinks.

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

16. jneilnyc

jneilnyc Free Range Responder

Sad. Saw him with The Kinks and more recently The Zombies

17. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Sad loss - saw the Zombies at the Palladium a couple of months ago! He seemed in great health!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

melstapler, keyXVII, ajsmith and 3 others like this.
  18. jneilnyc

jneilnyc Free Range Responder

19. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Such a great guy. I saw the KINKS 4 times and thought his playing was very good.

ajsmith and melstapler like this.
  20. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

More so now, the Kinks should kiss up and do their fans a favor and do their reunion tour! Just my 2 cents!

groundharp and melstapler like this.
  21. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Very sad to read this. Never got to see The Zombies in person but have watched Jim several times on DVD. Always struck me as someone who would be a very nice man. Condolences to them all.

Mark

keyXVII likes this.
  22. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Had the pleasure of meeting Jim and chatting with him on several occasions (the Moody Blues cruises and after other Zombies shows), my most memorable was sitting next to him and his wife on the pool deck for one of the Strawbs shows. A kinder, warmer gent you could not hope to meet. RIP, Jim.

keyXVII, agundy and melstapler like this.
  23. Damn. Talented bass player. He was in good shape when I last saw him so it is sad that the fall killed him--he always seemed strong as an ox ! Chris White has been known on occasion to sit in the with the band and appeared for the Odessey and Oracle tour. I was looking forward to seeing him on a possible West Coast tour of The Zombies this year (I had tickets last year but missed them due to a work issue).

keyXVII and melstapler like this.
  24. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Saw Jim with the Zombies in 2015 in Liverpool; the focus was on Colin and Rod but they were playing in front of a top drawer backing. Jim’s playing impressed. Both my wife & I recognised him on the rerun of Top Of The Pops with The Kinks doing Come Dancing in the studio.

Condolences to his family & all the musicians he played with. From the tribute payed by Dave & Rod, he will be missed both personally and musically.

keyXVII, ajsmith and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  25. Chad75

Chad75 Forum Resident

Terrible news. As others have mentioned, he seemed so full of energy at the Zombies show last year. Fantastic bass player. Absolutely love his bass playing on Tragedy. RIP Jim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.