Jimi Hendrix 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The gang at crosstown torrents are talking about an interview with Janie Hendrix from an iTunes podcast.
    It is the Tori Amos podcast from October 27:
    Drive All Night: The Songs of Tori Amos by The Sideway Society on iTunes ยป

With about 30 minutes left in the podcast, they interview Janie. Early in the interview, she talks about a documentary on Rainbow Bridge.
    This should be good news for fans of the Maui shows.
    I'm sure they wouldn't make a documentary on that Rainbow Bridge movie without putting out an album to go with it.
    I don't know how much better those recordings will possibly sound than what is already out there, but let's hope for the best!
    Near the end of the interview, she also mentions a new DAGGER release!!!
    I guess Dagger isn't finished after all.
    She gave no information on what that release will be.
    She says they plan to release both of these in 2017.

So.......what could that Dagger release possibly be?
    My first thought was maybe that's how the Maui shows will come out. That's just the type of thing Dagger was designed for.
    But they're gonna want a major release to go along with the film.....
    Maybe some studio material.....

2. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I just want that soundboard "Royal Albert Hall" released in all its glory.....not only because I was there:)

3. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Neat! Are your ears still ringing?:)

I want that one, too, but I think it's gonna be a long wait before we can replace our gray area discs!:realmad:

4. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Wonder if they are planning any releases for the 50th anniversaries of AYE and ABAL?

5. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

It is so easy to be complacent about Hendrix....but there are still moments even after listening for best part part of 50 years when the jaw just automatically drops...guitar lines from a different universe let alone planet...and vocals..and Mitch and Noel with fixed grins wondering what the hell the man was going to do next....sometimes it seems hard to believe there are just three guys responsible for the whole! Something else I would like(if it exists) is a complete title track from ABAL....I think the fade was in reality an extended outro....and it sounds a damn fine thing to these Limey ears:)

6. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

So, what's the problem? Who owns the tapes?

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Thanks for the info Sarah. A documentary. Hmmmm. Another talking heads exercise aimed at a deal with the TV networks. Very shrewd.
    Let's just hope that for the DVD/Blue-ray they manage to include ALL avaliable footage assembled as a "gig" without voice-overs, comments.
    Maybe the poor sound of the recording will shunt the live recordings to Dagger but if they have a high profile TV deal, one would think that they would set their sights on a regular Sony release like with Miami 68.
    The Dagger could be Curtis Knight & The Squires at Georges Club.

J.Lucas likes this.
  8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I haven't heard that RAH recording in years. I seem to remember Little Wing being great. Do you have that night fresh in memory? What was the sound like at a show like this in those days?

longdist01 likes this.
  9. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Yea I couldn't even be bothered with another talking head Hendrix doco just release all the concert footage in decent quality and/or all the audio & shut-up.

*I'm sure the glorified hairdresser has other ideas

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

my my my my my....

it was the late 60's, did hendrix record every note he ever played?

where on earth do they keep getting all this stuff?

seriously, not being snide or factitious, how much more can there possibly be, it been over 40 years of releases.

11. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

If the dagger release was the Black Gold tape, I would be a very happy Hendrix fan.

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Not much left in terms of multi-track or soundboard recordings. The Mauii concert (2 sets) were hampered by a strong wind and general hippy madness.
    Mitch overdubbed some drum tracks after Jimi passed away, for the theatre release of the appalling Rainbow Bridge "movie". Only less than 15 minutes of the shows in the film but more footage has surfaced and has circulated (on YouTube also).
    So a lenghty concert film, even edited down seems pretty difficuly for a quality industry release.
    Albums of jams, outtakes and alternates are possible and yes, Jimi left the tapes running for hours and hours, using the recordings like a notebook.

ralphk and footlooseman like this.
  13. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

That would be cool but I can't see Janie doing it as a Dagger release or anytime soon, I'd say it would be marketed as a"This is like a Jimi Unplugged Album Masterpiece!" type derp hype when the reality is quite different.

14. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

They released Dream, but they've still never released the Redding penned/Mitchell sung Dance. Maybe there's an issue there re songwriting credits, because it predates Ezy Rider and confirms Redding wrote the riff? There's surely no other reason for it.

Also, surely there are album outtakes/alt-takes that haven't been released yet? Probably countless vintage mixes too.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  15. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

When Jeff Beck was doing interviews to promote Loud Hailer he mentioned that he was listening to Jimi more than he had in a long while and cited the RAH shows. I wonder what his source is? Is he referring to bootlegs, or to previous grey market releases?

16. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

That's the trouble!
    Some character named Jerry Goldstein and Experience Hendrix have gone around and around in court trying to settle the issue over who has the rights to these recordings.
    He had some kind of deal with Michael Jeffrey for the film and recordings. He did make the film "Experience," which is how, I guess, that deal came about.

Too bad he didn't make a deal for the Scene Club, instead!

17. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

I hope so. I would love to see the mono versions of these albums on cd.
    You would think she would have mentioned something about it, if they were planning something. Then again, they usually don't announce an upcoming release until we've all preordered it!

18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Maybe they just don't think it's very good.
    With EH, there's never a credit issue with tunes written by Mitch or Noel; they just slap a solo Hendrix credit on them.:)

19. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I can't think of any other unreleased recording I want to hear more! "Suddenly November Morning" is such a masterpiece!

mando_dan, Sharp 1080, Sean and 3 others like this.
  20. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

I thought about that, too. But seeing how the previous Curtis Knight release was with Sony, maybe they will put that on Sony as well.
    Maybe that one didn't sell well enough to suit Sony.
    I hope the Dagger release is something else.
    I want good quality releases of the Knight stuff, but in addition to regular releases, not instead of.

Purple Jim likes this.
  21. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Little Wing is amazing!

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Goldstein seems to have ownersgip of the film and Exp Hendrix the sound recordings. So think that freezes up the releasing of the movie/DVD.

23. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Well, they did release "Touch You" a few years back. That riff turned into "Dance" and then Ezy Rider and "Lullaby For the Summer."
    Maybe it's Mitch's vocal they don't like.
    But then, they released "Cat Talkin' To Me," So I don't know!

Rushfan likes this.
  24. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

They just gave Hendrix the credit for Touch You, when it's a Redding riff and idea. I reckon they've never released Dance because it confirms the origin of the riff and there would be serious doubts over the idea of Redding writing a song around a riff that wasn't his - so it'll be left to rot. I wouldn't mind, but Dance is a really good track and it'd just be nice to have an original JHE song out there with Mitch on vocals.

I don't know if EH are generally big on removing copyrighted stuff off YouTube, but they've had every version of Dance taken off.

25. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I think they're waiting until 2018 to do the 51st Anniversary Editions. :D

jmxw, notesfrom, andrewskyDE and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.