Jimi Hendrix "Songs For Groovy Children" 5CD Box Set of '70 Fillmore East Concerts Due Nov. 22, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thenobs70

thenobs70 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Songs For Groovy Children assembles all four historic debut concerts by Jimi Hendrix s newly assembled Band of Gypsys at New York s Fillmore East on New Years Eve 1969 and New Years Day 1970. Presented in their original performance sequence and encompassing 43 tracks across 5 CDs, the set boasts over two dozen tracks that have either never before been released commercially or have been newly remixed plus the full extended versions of songs originally released on the 1970 Band of Gypsys album. Measured alongside his triumphs at Monterey Pop and Woodstock, Hendrix's legendary Fillmore East concerts illustrated a critical turning point in a radiant career filled with indefinite possibilities. Earlier in 1969, The Jimi Hendrix Experience had closed a musical chapter and the guitarist assembled a new trio dubbed Band of Gypsys, consisting of Hendrix, his longtime friend Billy Cox, on bass, whom he had befriended when both were serving with the 101st Airborne Division Cox and Electric Flag drummer Buddy Miles, who would also contribute occasional lead vocals. Hendrix was inspired by his collaboration with Cox and Miles and this creative renewal drove the development of promising new material such as "Power Of Soul," "Burning Desire" and the extraordinary "Machine Gun." By the end of January 1970, the band was history, but the blend of funk, rock and soul pioneered by the trio had a profound impact. Notable devotees include funk pioneers Parliament-Funkadelic, Curtis Mayfield, the Isley Brothers and Bootsy Collins, extending all the way forward to hip-hop. Newly mixed and restored in sequence without edits, fans can finally hear Hendrix, Cox and Miles blast through their genre-defying sets that included freshly written songs like "Earth Blues" and "Stepping Stone," as well as supercharged Experience favorites inclusive of "Foxey Lady," "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)," "Wild Thing," "Hey Joe" and "Purple Haze." Additionally, exciting new versions of Howard Tate's "Stop," "Steal Away," by Jimmy Hughes and a searing "Bleeding Heart" by Elmore James highlighted the command that the trio had over blues & R&B music. The lavish package is filled with unseen photos from talent such as Fillmore East house photographer Amalie Rothschild, Jan Blom (whose iconic, color saturated images provided the original artwork for 1970's Band of Gypsys) as well as Marshall Amplifier representative Marc Franklin, who had full access to the group in their dressing room backstage. The booklet features remembrances from bassist Billy Cox and liner notes by author/journalist/filmmaker Nelson George. Songs For Groovy Children was produced by Janie Hendrix, Eddie Kramer and John McDermott - the trio that has overseen every project for Experience Hendrix since 1995. The box set was mastered by Grammy-winning engineer Bernie Grundman.

IMWAN • [2019-11-22] Jimi Hendrix "Songs For Groovy Children: The Fillmore East Concerts" 5CD box set (Legacy)

[​IMG]

2. thenobs70

3. thenobs70

Just for reference's sake, here what's been released so far

[​IMG]

moops, JohnS, uzn007 and 46 others like this.
  4. Preordered from Amazon.UK :righton:

footlooseman, dee and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

That Jimi did Steal Away was previously unknown, I think.

Man at C&A, iggyd, Sharp 1080 and 8 others like this.
  6. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

:love:

oopap and DTK like this.
  7. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

This will be a definite purchase.

Though, I do feel that nerdy children will be left out in the cold since this release is Songs For Groovy Children.

8. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

………………………….:)

9. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Thank you for this, but I'm still a little confused about whether or not we already have the entire content of every show (albeit spread over many different releases), or whether we will be getting something previously unreleased with this new release. Plus, if we are getting something we haven't heard before, is that necessarily a great thing? Are there parts of these shows that are universally regarded as weak? The whole of Early Show December 31, 1969, is wonderful, but is that true of all of them?

10. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

please tell me this is going to be released on vinyl :waiting:

Jerry James, GRC, Lucca90 and 2 others like this.
  11. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

12. Wayne Hubbard

13. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Wow, wow, wow!! Am I dreaming??

14. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

8 LP set according to the promo clip above :righton:

15. Wayne Hubbard

Yes. I wonder which show it was performed.

16. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

:cool::cool::cool:

17. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Ordered.

18. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

19. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

Vinyl set ...

[​IMG]

20. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Some say that parts of these 4 shows are weak or not his best work, songs that break down, lyrics missed or whatnot. I say, so what. There's some of that. But these shows are historic. There is precious little multitrack live Hendrix left to release at this point. Thank god they didn't decide to put out one show every 2 years or something. The "Box of Gypsys" (which I think is a better title, imo) has long been on Hendrix fanatics wishlists. And the icing on the cake is that the original BOG tracks are included. I always figured that those tracks would be forever stuck on the original album. Nice to see that they are included unedited here. This is awesome!!

And to answer your question, yes, the release says over 2 dozen unreleased tracks. I'm pretty sure some of this has only ever been circulating in audience recordings format. So we're talking about major upgrades to our audio record of these shows.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  21. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Shall there be a Highlights 1cd? :hide:

22. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Still not all complete concerts, though...
    Wouldn´t fit on 5 CDs.

kees1954 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Interesting. So then maybe they are excluding the BOG tracks. Would it fit on 5 cds with those tracks excluded?

Nevermind, rereading that and it must include those. What would be missing? And how did we ever not know about Steal Away?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

25. Wayne Hubbard

I have to do the math. But, I think I 4 shows can fit on 5 CDs if they fill up all of them.

The "Box of Gypsys" boot took 6 CDs. It had 45 tracks from the concerts (without the previously unknown "Steal Away).

The set is going to have 43. So, there are going to be some songs missing.

mikmcmee, SinnerSaint and Greenalishi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.