Jimi Hendrix - "Band of Gypsys" puppet cover LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChrisM, Nov 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler Thread Starter

Just picked up a copy of this which is in absolute mint condition. It's an Australian pressing (Polydor 2406 002). I remember seeing the UK edition back in the '70s and I know it disappeared. Does anyone remember the exact story of this cover (and why it was changed)?

Cheers,
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Not sure. It doesn't look like Miles is within the puppets....

3. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Oh, you mean Buddy, not Miles Davis, who was so knocked out by these performances that he asked Jack DeJohnette to play like Buddy Miles, but with jazz technique. Then he hired Billy Cobham, who it's been suggested by another forum member would be Buddy Miles with Jazz technique. Anyway, Billy Cox isn't among the puppets either, and it's clearly not meant to represent the band. I can't say officially why they used that cover in Australia but I would say the cover they did use everywhere else directly shows you what the show looked like. There's no way I personally would prefer the image on this LP, the one used everywhere else is iconic.

4. ChrisM

The figures on the cover represent Jimi, Brian Jones, Bob Dylan (although I'm sure I heard somebody say Jim Morrison... looks more like Dylan to me) and John Peel.

This was the original British cover of the album when it was released. Australia just followed that version as opposed to the familiar concert shot on the US release.

Cheers,
    Chris

5. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Yeah but that would have made a great cover for an Experience LP!! :D

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I don't really know, but BOG was released by Capitol because Hendrix had signed contracts as a session musician in the early sixties that were subsequently bought by Capitol. I assume Capitol refused to share the cover with Polydor for distribution outside the US. In a rush to release, Polydor used that picture. Just my 1/2 cent.

7. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

YOU are correct. It's supposed to be 1966 Dylan.

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The "puppets" one is iconic in my memory ... and so it goes. There have been many cases like this, and ones preference is almost always tilted towards the one they grew up with.

Regards,
    Geoff

evh5150 likes this.
  9. ChrisM

BTW - I payed $35.00Cdn for the LP (about $25.00US). I thought that was more than reasonable for this particular issue. I checked a number of sources on the 'net and found a few for sale (mostly UK editions but, also an Aussie one) and they were WAY more expensive than that.

Cheers,
    Chris

10. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Sounds like a bargain to me too.
    Soundwize, the BOG Classic Records version is fantastic imho. Although out of print. BTW, Classic just by chance happened to find some blue vinyl Hendrix' Blues in their vaults....
    Hendrix: Blues 180 gram BLUE VINYL
    CATALOG #: RTH-2006BLU
    LABEL: Rare Finds
    PRICE: $75.00
    AVAILABLE: Now

$75 bucks!!!!!!!

Gotta LOVE these guys. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.