Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of how Douglas added new musicians to Hendrix tapes, but at least he had more imagination than the current crew. "Voodoo Soup," "Blues," "Nine to the Universe" and even "Kiss the Sky" hang together as real albums. I love Hendrix, but I could barely listen to "People, Hell and Angels."

And for the life of me, I cannot understand why no one has tried to compile an honest-to-God album -- something listenable, with its own internal logic -- out of the wealth of the Band of Gypsys studio material. Along with "Black Gold," it seems like the biggest missed opportunity of all.

2. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Or perhaps an SACD release at a later date? I'm getting tired of double dipping for titles. If EH has finally gone all in on SACDs, I wish they'd release them day and date with the release on other media.

Matthew Tate and The Hud like this.
  3. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member Thread Starter

The bottom line is, both Valleys of Neptune and People, Hell and Angels debuted in the top 5 of the US Billboard album charts. As long as these "new" albums continue to sell so well, EH and Sony don't have much incentive to change the formula. Given the success of the previous two releases I'm just surprised it's taken five years for them to release the next one.

4. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Got an idea it's going to cost more than twelve bucks for me to land it here.

5. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Thanks. 2 different ideas before and after 4:00. Both of them 'Sketches '. Seem to be getting their ' Indians' confused, (but I'm sure Jimi would use whatever he liked. )
    This is the best thing they could find?
    Not real thrilled.
    2 lp ? Can cost a bit to land that here. I need a better reason than "oh it's a trilogy now. "

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Douglas completed a "Jimi does Dylan" release before EH took over in the mid 90's. Dylan wrote liner notes.

I have no idea why EH are still sitting on it, other than some vague "Douglas = bad, EH = good" narrative.

Hep Alien, Imagine70 and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Its a shame Classic Rock Magazine has stopped the Fan Packs. Really enjoyed the People, Hell and Angels edition with the hardback book cover, magazine etc.

A Both Sides Of The Sky Version would have been a great companion

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Due to the negociations concerning the renewed record deal with Sony no doubt.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That looks pretty cool!

J_D__, Hep Alien and Smokin Chains like this.
  10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I view these as vault releases, not actual albums.

In fact, I guess you could take this whole trilogy and re-arrange the songs in chronological order and listen like that. It would seem like much more of a vault release that way.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Good point. I still need to get Machine Gun, either CD or SACD.

jhm likes this.
  12. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Ha, I actually did. I mean, it's fine as a curiosity for hardcore Hendrix fans, but to put this on a high profile EH release is dubious. Would be better for a Dagger Records release. It's really barrel scraping, which I thought was the whole point of EH, to minimize that kind of stuff.

13. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

If it were up to me, I'd keep the core albums in print -- Are You Experienced? through In the West (the original version). Everything else I'd make available online. Let folks stream songs once or twice and, if they're so inclined, offer the songs for purchase as MP3 downloads at a nominal price. This way you keep the legacy intact while offering hardcore fans the chance to hear everything.

14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Old Times Good Times - always loved that track- what an incredible guitar player Jimi was.

15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I think the Moebius art is great, but I like it better in it's original form, as part of the cover for the Barclay 2-LP:
    [​IMG]

I think the Kiss The Sky cover is excellent. :thumbsup:

Here is the photo it's based on:
    [​IMG]
    (photo: Jean-Nöel Coghe)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Dodoz, Hep Alien, Imagine70 and 7 others like this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

let me tell you one thing you can take to the bank.

the jimi hendrix vault will NEVER be drained, EVER.

as long they can sell enough copies to make money, they will make jimi hendrix albums forever and ever and ever.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i know this has been discussed and argued and debated many many times over the years, but is it really jimi hendrix, i mean all of it, is it possible it is part hendrix and part some young guitar virtuoso that no one ever heard of that is getting paid quite well for his/her efforts?

could it possibly be a scam....please don't get mad, i'm just asking.

i mean the guy had live with a tape recorder under his arm to have all of these tapes showing up for years and years.

Matthew Tate and Maidenpriest like this.
  18. parman

parman Music Junkie

Count me in!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

NO. Hendrix was in the habit of recording everything. Not necessarily for release, but as a way to document ideas as he came up with them, which he would continue to refine and work into finished songs. He was a perfectionist and the irony is that he wouldn't have wanted 99% of this stuff to see the light of day, yet it's all being turned into 'albums.'

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

In the UK he slept with the guitar in his bed. Make breakfast with it strapped on.

All his spare money/spare time went to playing and recording. He was basically weekend only gigs for the 15 months of his life.

Purple Jim and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

He hangs and records with Tupac

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Seriously, I bought Valleys of Neptune and enjoyed it for what it was .

Same with People, Hell and Angels.

I'll buy this as well as it's unheard Hendrix. Once I've heard it, I'll decide if it was worth it.

I certainly have more interest in this than I do the newest Taylor Swift album.

Weirwolfe, hodgo, Purple Jim and 5 others like this.
  23. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Interesting Story. Sad that the remaining photos from the session got destroyed at Rave HQ later on. I think I would have preferred seeing the damaged slide as the cover image instead. It has that archival/authentic feel and fits the grunge texture graphic design look common in recent years.

[​IMG]

24. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

He did not read or right music.
    He did have a portable recorder.
    He did have his own studio.
    He was a full time muso in major demand.
    Roll tape = make a note.

supernaut likes this.
  25. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

An hour a day of recording for two years would yield over 700 hours. Jimi's official release catalog has what? 25-50 hours?
    It's hardly unbelievable that there could be more in store. All of wildly shifting quality, of course.

Purple Jim and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.