Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

:DI wish Stephen Stills had sung on all the tracks

Kiss73 and marmalade166 like this.
  2. old school

old school Senior Member

Yeah, I'm tired of digipacks! I ordered from CDJapan it will come in a sturdy jewel case with a nice Obi.

3. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Why? they are the weakest tracks on the album

kanakaris, dee, vudicus and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Vocally they are the strongest. I know that many people say that they are not into Jimi for his vocals. But i am into music for the complete sound. Now Jimi could actually sing well when he put in the effort. But his vocals after Electric Ladyland are mostly just him hanging over the ledge by the fingernails. This also goes for recordings that were just cue vocals. And you cant fault him for the last thing ofcourse.

ruben lopez likes this.
  5. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I really like digipacks, I'd be happy to have everything in them.

pablorkcz, GetHappy!! and dee like this.
  6. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Mine has just arrived..

J.Lucas likes this.
  7. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

i disliked them tracks the most. ill be removing them from iTunes when i get the album.

dee likes this.
  8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

As a Stills fan (and not particularly a Hendrix fan) I just wish they would release a full package of everything they have recorded together, as oppose to bit by bit releasing.....then you would attract both sets of fans.

marmalade166 and RockRoom like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Wow! I didn't know that. It was a video tape wasn't it? That could unfortunately mean that it's mostly shots of Jimi's face for the folks at the back of the hall. The thing is, it'll be useless without a good quality soundboard recording and as far as we know, there isn't one (it certainly wasn't recorded to multi-track).

10. Kim Olesen

I didn’t say they were good tracks all in all. Only that his vocals are much stronger compared to Jimis in situations where Jimi weren’t making an effort.

11. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

My copy is arriving today...should be there when I get home from work later. Looking forward to finally listening to it and passing judgment.

J.Lucas likes this.
  12. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Surprised there is no 24 bit download version? I have the cd coming today but when your DAC measures output SNR of 124db, the extra 28 decibels of dynamic range with the 24 bit version actually sounds more life like.

13. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Was definitely expecting a 24-bit download, especially with Chad at Acoustic Sounds handling the SACDs

14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

So it's your fault :winkgrin:! Completely kidding of course. I just find them harder to take care of in the long term. When Bowie's "Cracked Actor" came out not long ago, in this country there was a limited first printing in a digipack. I waited until retailers started getting the second run in so I could buy it in a jewel case!

15. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

"The quest for previously unreleased treasures unearths some true fool's gold, though: An early version of "Woodstock" has Hendrix on bass instead of guitar, backing up Stephen Stills. A rundown of Guitar Slim's "The Things I Used to Do" showcases Johnny Winter's slide guitar and not much else. "Cherokee Mist" finds Hendrix noodling with guitar feedback howls (more, please) and electric sitar (um ... no) for seven minutes – you can tell it's going nowhere when he starts playing around with the "Purple Haze" riff."
    Review: Jimi Hendrix's 'Both Sides of the Sky' Mixes Treasures, Fool's Gold

16. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Video for Lover Man

DrBeatle and kees1954 like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

My copy is arriving today...should be there when I get home from work later. Looking forward to finally listening to it and passing judgment out ... ;)

Gordon Johnson, Deek57 and DrBeatle like this.
  18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I'm hoping I eventually acquire this release in a jewel case when they announce an SACD is coming out :agree:! One can hope at least (obviously I have no idea if this is actually in the cards or not).

old school likes this.
  19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I read that as well. Regarding "Cherokee Mist", I have to say the opposite occurred for me. I've never warmed to this version before, however hearing it in this quality, I'm really digging it. It's quite haunting actually (in a good way). I also don't get the author's comments about "The Things I Used To Do". It's just a jam and it's no more egregious than, say, "Ships Passing Through The Night" on Valleys Of Neptune, which is also clearly just a loose run through of a song.

Oh, and I said it once and I'll keep saying it...this thing cost me $10...total. It's not like they charged $50 for a "lost LP" that turned out to be a load of bunk. There are some good photos in the liner notes and McDermott's essay is at least interesting (to me). I guess I'll just have to accept that I'm in the minority on this one.

Sharp 1080, J.Lucas, kees1954 and 2 others like this.
  20. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Got my copy of Both Sides of the Sky today. Like Valleys of Neptune and People, Hell and Angels, it has some strong material, but as an album it's another haphazard compilation.

In my opinion Lonnie Youngblood and Stephen Stills material just doesn't belong on this album at all.

Vintage1976 likes this.
  21. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Postie handed this to me as I was leaving this afternoon...so stuck CD in car and was more impressed that I thought I might be.....definitely stronger than PH&A (which started off strong and then drags.....)

Disagree with the comments above about Lonnie Youngblood and Stephen Stills material not deserving to be on the album.....these songs make the album more varied and dare I say more palatable to a casual Hendrix listener/purchaser (I'm a Stills fan).

davenav likes this.
  22. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

You know, it made me like the song a little more than I did just hearing the audio.

23. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I am listening now to my 'Trash Man' comp, and its a much much better so I am happy to wait for BSOTS, I certainly am not in a rush for it :)

Trash Man (The Alan Douglas Incident)
    01 - Message To Love (Original Untampered Take)
    02 - Somewhere (Original Untampered Take)
    03 - Crash Landing (Original Untampered Take)
    04 - Come Down Hard On Me (Original Untampered Take)
    05 - Peace In Mississippi (Original Untampered Take)
    06 - (With The) Power Of Soul (Original Untampered Take)
    07 - Stone Free... Again (Original Untampered Take)
    08 - Captain Coconut (Original Untampered Take)
    09 - Trash Man (Original Untampered Take)
    10 - Midnight Lightning (Original Untampered Take)
    11 - Hear My Train A Comin' (Original Untampered Take)
    12 - Gypsy Boy (New Rising Sun) (Original Untampered Take)
    13 - Blue Suede Shoes (Perkins) (Original Untampered Take)
    14 - Machine Gun (Original Untampered Take)
    15 - Once I Had A Woman (Original Untampered Take)
    16 - Beginnings (Mitch Mitchell) (Original Untampered Take)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  24. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

That's the key thing: Whatever it is, it ain't breakin' the bank. If I wanna look at it as I'm buying the single for Power of Soul/Cherokee Mist with 11 bonus tracks, I can. Heck I just paid more for the vinyl Lover Man single I can't really play!

dee, Vintage1976 and jhm like this.
  25. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

So, should I get the CD, or the vinyl?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.