Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Just got my copy in the mail. Got the Eur pressing. Paper sleeves??? The vinyl is filthy to (milky looking splashes on it). Nothing a clean and some mofi sleeves wont fix.

I had the same thing with Machine Gun Euro press.

Is this common for Euro Jimi releases?

Im in Australia, so luckily i can usually pick or choose.

2. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Ha, at first I read that as psychedelic help. :laugh:

frank3si likes this.
  3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Thanks, looks like those who took the under at 50k were right.

4. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

:laugh::laugh::laugh: perhaps that will help as well :righton:

Fox67 likes this.
  5. I just can't make a single quality disc release out of songs from the "trilogy" albums.

It's not that these three releases don't have value to me. They do. More often than not, though, I'll play one or two songs here and there, for reference (and enjoyment, of course) but never the complete albums.

I am more likely to play the "trilogy" of Dagger releases in their entirety. In fact, those albums smoke the commercial releases.

I'm glad I have the new one. Now, I'll move on and worry about what Prince's estate will do with his vault.

6. Chris Elliott

Chris Elliott Forum Resident

Cobbling together a single album out of the three "trilogy" albums - is it possible?

Let's look at that...

First, we'll remove all songs that are not Jimi Hendrix songs, but others people's songs all together (Youngblood, Stills, Ghetto Fighters, etc.)

Secondly, we'll remove songs that are merely alternate versions of already released songs, and songs that appear on other currently pressed Jimi Hendrix releases.

This is what's left:

Valleys Of Neptune
    • Valleys Of Neptune
    • Sunshine Of Your Love (Instrumental)
    • Crying Blue Rain (Instrumental)

People, Hell & Angels
    • Easy Blues (Instrumental)
    • Crash Landing
    • Hey Gypsy Boy

Both Sides Of The Sky
    • Things I Used To Do
    • Send My Love To Linda

Let's put them all together now:

1. Valleys Of Neptune
    2. Sunshine Of Your Love (Instrumental)
    3. Crying Blue Rain (Instrumental)
    4. Easy Blues (Instrumental)
    5. Crash Landing
    6. Hey Gypsy Boy
    7. Things I Used To Do
    8. Send My Love To Linda
    What's left is an 8 track album that clocks in at 37 minutes and 57 seconds long.

If the chopped versions of Valleys Of Neptune and Things I Used To Do, the mixing issues on Crash Landing, and the fact that nearly half the album is instrumental doesn't bother you, then there's your album.

Chris Elliott

tcbtcb, Fox67, JimSpark and 2 others like this.
  7. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I dunno - does acting delusional on purpose for money really require psychiatric help?

Maidenpriest likes this.
  8. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I love how she exposed herself as a complete and total liar in the very first sentence of her answer to the very first question in that interview:

"When we put together the first two albums, we had put these songs aside because we knew it was going to be a trilogy."

A bit different from what she said at the time of its release about PH&A being the last Hendrix studio album that they would ever release as there's not enough good material left in vault - but still MAYBE possibly, you never know - we might release another one eventually if any newly discovered tapes are found. That is the paraphrased essence of what she said back then.

So she isnt even a good liar. A good liar would remember to trot out the "we found new tapes since then BS line" to cover their tracks, but she just flat out admits that what she said back then was a 100% LIE.

But don't worry Janie - I never believed that lie in the first place. I always knew that when you said PH&A would be the last new studio album, what you really meant was last new studio album of this (then) current major label distribution deal, and that a new distribution deal would mean a couple more new studio albums.

I wonder if they'll push the idea of the next studio album being the "last of a planned quadrilogy"?

Fox67, DrBeatle and Chris Elliott like this.
  9. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Fortunately Since Legacy took over US pressings always have an anti static sleeve and not plani white paper. The exceptions were.Live in Clogne and Live At Clark University. Other than those 2 all of the US pressings I know of on Legacy or Dagger have anti static sleeves

10. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Why are you putting Eddie Kramer's words in Janies mouth? He is the one that said PH&A would be the last studio album.

Never heard her talk about the "vault" being empty. Bad business, if she has.

Still don't understand why people are mad she is Al's heir.

He loved and treated her as his daughter.

11. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Yep, I think that is about right. The Daggers did get cheaped out on with those paper inners. As a rule the US always have plastic or paper plastic lined inners, even the MCA releases. The one exception that comes to mind and this happened even with the re-issues was ABAL mono. That came in a paper with text and picture on it. Classic 2000 and the later re -issues from Legacy / Newbury.

Just trying to remember how the box sets came as I know they had picture sleeves but did they have an inner to them?

All new vinyl is filthy even if you don't see it. It can be felt as you remove the record for the first time from any inner, a greasy feel. Just the anti mould stuff used at the pressing plant I believe. That's why if you have a cleaning machine it is a good idea to use it on new vinyl.

Sony continue to use paper inners on their EU pressing, given the prices of vinyl in the EU, this is just unacceptable. But they don't give a s**t about the customer, do they?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  12. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

NO - SHE said it in a clip I saw on youtube at the time of the album's release. She was being interviewed sitting down outside somewhere and she said that PH&A WOULD be the last studio album. Then when the interviewer pressed her, she added something like - well you never know if we acquire some more tapes not currently in our possession. So unless Eddie gained weight, got a spray tan and put on a dark wig and a dress it was Janie!

How is it bad business to make the claim that the latest album will be the last? Sure its highly questionable ethics to lie so blatantly, but its VERY good business. Its called HYPE and it works - "This is it - the very last one" is a far better marketing line than "here's yet another in an endless torrent of barrel scrapings"

I'm not mad that she's Al's heir - I'm mad that she lies so much about EVERYTHING constantly!

PS - as head of the company do you really think she lets Kramer go rogue with his statements? Do you really think that he isn't told what he's allowed to say and not say? It was her saying it. I know he said it too in a separate press piece, but do you really think anything he says ISN'T approved by her. EH is a corporation and SHE'S the boss. If she orders her underlings to lie - THEY LIE!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Maidenpriest likes this.
  13. That's about the list I was stuck on, give or take, but "Sunshine of Your Love" is a Cream song, so you might as well add "Cherokee Mist" back in the mix. "The Things I Used To Do" is a cover song, as well. *shrug*

14. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

She has used that Batman story in almost every interview I've ever read with her, going back to when she first started setting up EH with Al.

Over the years, she seems to have purposely left out the fact that she was Jimi's STEPSISTER and presents herself as though she's his full-blooded biological sister. She's unreal.

15. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I'd toss back on Cherokee Mist since it was before the other one and one of the Hear My Trains since it didn't have a real studio version. So that's 10 songs and gets you close to an hour. But otherwise...um, yeah.

tcbtcb likes this.
  16. Interesting, but I can't see why criteria "2" is really necessary as some alternate versions are quite strong and in some cases superior to what has already been released. Also, Cherokee Mist may share the same name as another JH instrumental, but beyond the name they have little in common -so I would add that back in the mix, and using your criteria, remove Hey Gypsy Boy because it is nothing but a proto-Hey Baby (New Rising Sun).

fredhammersmith likes this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

In the Rolling Stone interview she says Jimi played flute on "Are You Experienced". They shouldn't let her do PR, It's embarrassing.

Chris M and Fox67 like this.
  18. DrBeatle

:doh:

DTK likes this.
  19. [​IMG]
    When a single face-palm is not enough...

chilinvilin, DTK and DrBeatle like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

;)

Mark Snowden and DTK like this.
  21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Not only that Jimi's dad was her step father, no blood tie whatsoever, and the Batman story, I don't believe her..

22. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It's probably the only interaction she's ever had with Jimi.

DTK and DrBeatle like this.
  23. DrBeatle

IIRC, she and Jimi only were ever in the same place physically 2 or 3 times, EVER. But she presents it as if they spent years as a family, spending every Thanksgiving and Christmas etc together. It was old a decade ago, now it's just annoying (and sad).

24. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

I agree that Janie has quite the imagination, but does anyone believe that Jimi's legacy would be better served if Leon Hendrix was managing the archives?

DrBeatle, EVOLVIST and Darrin L. like this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

No, it probably would not be.

DrBeatle and Fred68 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.