Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's a tall order to play Hendrix on an instrument with minimal tonal sustain that permits neither note bending or simultaneous multiple voicings. The cadenza from 3:20 to 3:22 is pretty good, but on the whole, the guy would be better off with Rahsaan Roland Kirk tunes.

DTK likes this.
  2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Absolutely not. Janie may have issues, Leon has problems.

DrBeatle and Fred68 like this.
  3. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

yeah, LIKE YOU GUYS know THESE PEOPLE!!

Anyone know what page of this thread that is roughly about BSOTS I can find the comments regard Georgia Blues and if/how it differed in the mix from its earlier outing?

4. John Harchar

Leon's situation is part of the public record, whatever someone may or may not like about how Janie has handled things, her life is nothing like Leon's.

Just did an A/B with the original from the Scorsese CD and the one from BSOTS in my headphones, everything is positioned the same in the mix and at the same levels. If there's a difference, I didn't hear it.

DTK and crozcat like this.
  5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Who knows, at least it would be honest he deserves to be given the chance as does Jimi Hendrix's Daughter, just because Leon has a history of drug abuse (that was the times then as far as I know he is clean these days and is a musician etc) this does not mean he is not 'better' today people change as they grow older, lets not forget Jimi was also a drug user as was the band and Eddie Krammer this has not prevented him from doing his work, i believe if the EH team had Leon in charge little would change he would just be the figure head, Janie is indispensable IMO what does she add ? maybe some legal experience but any good lawyer can do that ? but at least it would be honest and would not be lying about being the Hendrix family etc ?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    J.Lucas likes this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

He doesn't deserve a chance to run the estate. Al's estate documents and later a court of law made that determination. Jimi's daughter Tamika never had a valid claim to the estate because Jimi was unable to comply with a blood test prior to his death, and while Al on some level recognized her during his lifetime, she was omitted from sharing in any estate benefits (as were a number of other blood relatives).

7. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Page 119

Wayne Hubbard and Gordon Johnson like this.
  8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Honestly, I'm sure she trots that story out every time because it's probably literally the ONLY interaction she actually had with Jimi during his lifetime. As mentioned before, they only ever met once or twice, *ever*, between when she came into Al's life and when Jimi died.

Fox67, PacificOceanBlue and J.Lucas like this.
  9. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

maybe not legally but Morally IMO

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Janie attended 5-6 Hendrix shows in the Northwest. Jimi spent several days with them for his July 1970 trip.

I'm actually surprised fans haven't funded DNA tests between Leon/Tamika/James Sundquist. Janie has a DNA sample of Al. Some Hendrix hair may exist, but not sure if DNA can be extracted or authentication is unreliable.

davenav likes this.
  11. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

God r we far away from Music here.

12. Gordon Johnson

Yeah, all these folk here are bug mates with Janie and co.
    Same crap from the same posters in evey thread.

The family experts!

davenav likes this.
  13. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Lets give them some master tapes from 50 years ago and give them some quality time with the nice people from the music industry. I am sure it will be great!

14. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

My absolute favorite Hendrix cover is played on flute. The majestic "Pali Gap" by maestro Robert Dick

15. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Its not perfectly run, but its better than the Douglass era. So much more stuff, in better quality has been released.

Look at all the BOG stuff EH has released. Winterland (edited, yes, but massively more complete than Douglass era), The Purple Box, the Dagger Releases (Burning Desire and Hear My Music especially), Miami...it all stacks up very well.

And we know theres still more coming.

San Diego 69, LA Forum 69, Stockholm 69 second show, Maui...theyre all most likely to get a release. Im sure theres plenty more studio jams, that can make BD and HMM style releases. Other than some questionsble album covers, I think EH have been serviceable at least.

Yeah, its a bit of mess at times, and not overly coherent, but the overall content cant be knocked.

Theres never been so much Jimi music available, in such great sound quality.

16. Gordon Johnson

In a nut shell really.

But there those who don't want to see this, simply looking for what they perceive as a negative, picking up that perception and ranting over and over in the sane old thing.

Oh well, back to my 52 yr Jimi audio collection.

17. John Harchar

For all the complaints we all may have, it’s been a pretty good 20 years for Jimi material. The ten years before I was scouring stores looking for copies of out of print albums. Now all of it is practically at your fingertips.

jconsolmagno, crozcat, weavzy and 2 others like this.
  18. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Amen to that!!!

19. houseofglass83

houseofglass83 Forum Resident

I've seen lots of mixed reviews and rants on BSotS. I thinks it an enjoyable listen, even the tracks without Jimi singing. It is what it is.

tcbtcb, jhm and 905 like this.
  20. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Hey I don't disagree with any of this. I FAR prefer the Janie regime over the Douglas regime, and for all the reasons you mention, but her constant disingenuous lying is incredibly distasteful and kind of offensive especially since any half way knowledgeable fan can see right through her. All her lying (and/or total cluelessness of all the well known historical facts) is an insult to his fans, and an insult to Jimi's memory/legacy. However - luckily, the music can (and does) speak for itself!

Sure I have my problems with her seemingly "anything for a buck" attitude and her proven greed (she was caught embezzling money from the company - or at least from the share of the profits set up for Jimi's real family members and was legally reprimanded in court for it and legally barred from having further access to those funds in future). But if her greed is what it takes to give us as much as we've gotten (and as much more as we're surely going to continue to get) I'll take it!

Its far better for the fans than Douglas's narcissistic egotism which severely limited what he deemed "worthy of release". He wanted to be seen as Jimi's producer and refused to issue anything he thought might make HIM look bad as a "record producer", regardless of what the hardcore fans wanted.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Maidenpriest and DTK like this.
  21. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I finally got a chance to listen to BSOTS twice.
    Skipping 20 Dollar Fine, Jungle an Woodstock on the second spin made it a nice listen for what it is.
    Highlights for me were Hear My Train, Georgia Blues and Angel.
    I think someone must have spilt hot coffee in their lap while they were doing that edit for Linda.
    If that band version would have come in just as the guitar riff starts instead of with the drums it might sound better.
    Would have preferred the solo or band version all the way through instead of the composite.
    So I'm guessing no Frankenstein versions here just edits and composites?
    Overall fun to have but we're a long way from getting studio tracks like Bold As Love or Long Hot Summer Night.

DTK likes this.
  22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Wasn't Douglas the source for a big chunk of studio stuff that leaked out decades ago? That may complicate the Janie vs. Douglas question.

Strictly playing devil's advocate here, didn't the Douglas album sell more?

Maidenpriest likes this.
  23. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

First proper listen now. The release is fine. Good tracks on all sides of the records. Couple of ho hum tunes. But i think its a nice little collection. Angel is fantastic. HMTAC is awesome. Some real good stuff on here.

jhm likes this.
  24. With the release of "Cherokee Mist," there are not any more fully realized songs to release are there? (that is, if we agree that Jimi was finished with that particular recording of "Cherokee Mist.")

DTK and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

That's actually not a bad idea.

frank3si likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.