Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Of all the "ersatz" post death releases, I thought crash landing was probably the best.

rburly, MikeInFla, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. The good stuff is on the Purple Box.

Matthew Tate and John Fell like this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

But how can you judge the quality of Crash Landing if you haven't heard it? :confused:

MikeInFla and Deek57 like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

As for the "paltry 6 songs", back when this was first released, for sound quality reproduction, an LP side was roughly around 15 minutes per side. The songs on the LP meet that criteria. We can argue about the sound recording, performance and song selection all day long. They could have put the 22 minute Machine Gun on one side, had three songs on the other side, for a 4 song record.

In the US when this was first released as an Import, it was very expensive. I would have passed on a double for cost alone.

5. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I like it, a lot. In fact I have few complaints about anything that's been released since 1971, maybe the Johnny B Goode live album, that was a bit short.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yes, when single cd versions of Isle of Wight were reissued twice since then, they deleted 2 (Midnight Lightning & Foxy Lady) of the original 6 tracks on the album and replaced them with other songs.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I dunno, several live albums from that era were almost the double in duration.
    I think the IOW lp is better than the intention behind it so to speak.
    The second side is strong. The first side less so, but it has the only full live performance of Midnight Lightning. And a pretty cool version of Foxy Lady which is unusually long due to a bass and drums jam covering for Jimi who had split his pants.

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe it is mentioned in Setting The Record Straight that the original Isle of Wight release would have been better if Midnight Lightning and Foxy Lady had been deleted and replaced by Machine Gun and/or Red House.

9. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

That would always drive me crazy, especially as any live version of Spanish Castle Magic wasn't released until years later. Once I heard the version and I saw he skipped some lyrics I understood why they didn't release this particular version.

DTK likes this.
  10. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

To me Foxy Lady is the real weak link on the album, it just meanders around (looking at the situation, it really couldn't do anything else but that). Red House would've been better.

Side One
    Intro/Midnight Lightning
    All Along the Watchtower
    Freedom
    Lover Man

Side Two
    Red House
    In From the Storm

Not great great, but better.

DTK likes this.
  11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

For some reason Jimi often skipped lyrics in that song when he had equipment troubles or was in a bad mood.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Tuck1977 and andrewskyDE like this.
  13. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

"It's better than Coca-Cola!"

Lateralus_ and DTK like this.
  14. It's been probably 20 years since I've heard any of the Maui material (which I know I used to have back about 15-30 years ago.

I seem to remember liking it, and would welcome another chance to hear it again.

15. John Harchar

I actually finally found my copy of the uncut Rainbow Bridge a few weeks back...my VHS copy. I did dub it to DVD but can't find that one at the moment.

Despite the technical issues, the performance is pretty enthusiastic. I think the Maui Foxy Lady could be among the best he ever did.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  16. All I remember is that the sonics were definitely different (and in a good, or at least interesting way). Maybe it was the flying V? It definitely didn't sound like many other Hendrix gigs that I could think of. Though, again, it's been 20 years since I've heard it. But it did leave a strong impression on me, I will say that -- and a generally positive one.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  17. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Great performance. The high-point of the movie, by a mile...

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Maui was the rumored first release of the new EH/Sony distribution deal a year ago or so. I wouldn’t mind hearing an upgrade.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  19. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I thought Maui was supposed to be the next big 'new' release has that been cancelled now ?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. John Harchar

No word yet. We’ll have to see what’s next after the ELL box. We usually get something in March (so I have to wait to buy it due to Lent) so that’ll be the first opportunity. More than likely if it’s coming, it’ll be around this time next year-the studios have been in the spring and the live sets have tended to be in the fall

21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Are you serious, you are really going to wait, that's some admirable restraint you've got there fella.

22. John Harchar

Been doing it since 1991, as I went to the record store every week for 40 days, looking at the Charly Yardbirds box and hoping nobody bought it (nobody did, it was my Easter present). Notice each of the "trilogy" came out in March...

Deek57 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

He was working on Maui before Atlanta came out. Maybe it was "coin flip" type situation on whichever came together better for the final CD/DVD packages. Maui probably has more "issues" to resolve before it gets a release date.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  24. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

Late on board but have read the last half of the thread (the one that begins after the album release).
    Lots of interesting discussions.

Here is just a thought about 'Hear my Train'.
    It seems that the BSS 09/04/69 version has parts edited out (the last chorus and 16 bars sometime after, if you see what I mean..).

No idea why it has been made this way.

I love the last part of this version a lot (initially leaked from the Blues project).
    IMO the definitive studio version of HMT can be made with an edit of the VON 07/04/69 version (the first 2'50) and the last part (some 3'05) of the 09/04/69 version.

Quite annoying that the official release of the 09/04/69 version has parts edited out...

25. John Harchar

I think this has been mentioned...somewhere if not here. Why Alan tried to mash up the Buddy version from May and this one I have no idea. It would've made much more sense to do something along the lines of what you mentioned. Personally I think the April 7 one is the whole package as is, but if you're going to mix and match, use pieces from similar puzzles.

I just listened to both over the past two days, the only issue with mixing even these two is the sound of the band is completely different on the two dates. It'd require some work to balance out the sound properly.

Wyd Syatt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.