Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. I think it is up there with the Band of Gypsys LP version of "Machine Gun," which was one of Hendrix's supreme achievements. An incredible performance.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Not sure about "Midnight Lightning"...it is pretty shambolic.

John Fell likes this.
  3. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Yes, Machine Gun was reveletory, if that's really a word. After that I expected much to come. Sadly.

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Oh it definitely is, just slightly less shambolic than Foxy Lady. Spanish Castle Magic would've been ok if not for the missed line, but it's a relatively energetic performance. Replace Midnight Lightning with Queen/Pepper/Spanish Castle Magic and it would've been even better. Not great, but even better for what it's intention was.

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

When it was reissued in 1991 as Isle Of Wight '70 it had this track listing.

1. "Intro/God Save the Queen" (Traditional) – 3:00
    2. "Message to Love" – 6:26
    3. "Voodoo Child" – 8:01
    4. "Lover Man" – 3:25
    5. "Machine Gun" – 12:37
    6. "Dolly Dagger" – 5:32
    7. "Red House" – 11:10
    8. "In from the Storm" – 4:20
    9. "New Rising Sun" – 7:31
    In addition, there is a also a single disc distillation of Blue Wild Angel: Live At The Isle Of Wight with this track listing.

1. "God Save the Queen" (Traditional) – 3:54
    2. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (Lennon, McCartney) – 0:49
    3. "Spanish Castle Magic" – 5:09
    4. "All Along the Watchtower" (Dylan) – 5:39
    5. "Machine Gun" – 18:22
    6. "Lover Man" – 2:58
    7. "Freedom" – 4:36
    8. "Red House" – 11:36
    9. "Dolly Dagger" – 6:01
    10. "Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)" – 6:58
    11. "In from the Storm" – 6:14
    It appears both Midnight Lightning and Foxy Lady from the original track listing were deemed to be unacceptable choices based up these track listings on the reissues.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. John Harchar

Interesting that the single disc BWA is close to what the 1971 IoW should/could have been.

Alan really made a mess of that 1990 album, songs are totally out of order and there's no flow to it. Anybody know why Ryko decided against releasing it after including Lover Man on Steal This Disc 2? Reprise didn't pick it up either.

7. John Harchar

Veering back to BSOTS, I finally had a chance to the "trilogy" box set playlist: taking the songs, putting them in chronological order and sprinkling in some of the B-sides and "new" tracks from South Saturn Delta into one 3 1/2 hour run. Short version-things sound better in context (will possibly discuss further in one of the other threads on the subject). But a song that really leapt out at me was Power of Soul and discovering all the little things Jimi put into his mix. The voices in the background popping up at different times I hadn't heard, or didn't really pay attention to, before. It also fills up your headphones in a way a lot of the other songs didn't, sound is coming from in front and in back instead of just coming at your ear directly. It's a shame he put it aside (for good reason, the version on BoG is terrific as well), it shouldn't have taken this long for this version to reach the public (will not comment on someone chopping the master tape). Those late August mixes are the closest we have to what he possibly had in mind for what he wanted the next album to sound like, even with songs he wasn't going to use.

Billy_Sunday and crozcat like this.
  8. perfectpawn

perfectpawn Forum Resident

Hope someone can help me out -- if it's already in the thread I'm sorry I missed it in the 174 pages! I just discovered this exists in purple vinyl, and according to bn.com a Barnes & Noble a few miles from me has this version in stock. But when I called the store, they were able to locate the copy, but they said it doesn't specify on the cover sticker that it's purple vinyl. They also said it doesn't show in their store system as "B&N exclusive." However, the guy told me that the sticker on the sleeve is purple. So does this indicate it's the purple vinyl version, or just the regular one? In other words, do the purple B&N editions specifically state "purple vinyl" on the cover sticker?

9. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

My sticker states "purple vinyl".

Christopher B likes this.
  10. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Perhaps this will help? It's from @Gordon Johnson 's website:

MARCH 2018 BOTH SIDES OF THE SKY SONY LEGACY / EXPERIENCE HENDRIX / BARNES AND NOBLE US PURPLE VINYL ISSUE 19075814201 THIS ALSO WAS ISSUED IN THE US INITIALLY AS A NUMBERED SET ON BLACK VINYL. BOTH QRP WITH THE PURPLE PRESSING APPEARING TO BE THE FIRST PRESSED IN THE RUN

Quick reference

11. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

The Purple Vinyl was most definately a Barnes and Noble exclusive. I cant remember if the sticker said purple vinyl or not. It seems to me it did though. It is a shame BN even plays in this space az they obviously dont care enough to educate their employees. 6 months after initial release you talked to a typically clueless employee in their store who isnt able to tell u one way or the other what is what...

12. perfectpawn

perfectpawn Forum Resident

Thanks for the responses! Looks like both stores near me just had the regular release, mistakenly listed in the system as the exclusive purple. Bummer!

13. I've been reading Ultimate Hendrix front-to-back for the first time since probably 2013 or so, and I noted that on January 16th, 1970, Hendrix, Miles and Cox recorded "Sending My Love to Linda," with all 3 musicians and a live vocal from Hendrix. This was Take 1, not including, it's presumed, the solo demo-like version that we hear on BSotS.

On January 19th, 1970, Hendrix made a mix of Take 1, for whatever reason. A full band version. It's presumed then that McDermott heard it, because he noted that Take 2 was fairly complete, as well, while both takes lacked proper endings.

So, the question being, EH didn't think that Hendrix's own mix of "Sending My Love to Linda" was a good enough for this release, instead of cutting demo versions and pasting them together?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  14. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

It states purple vinyl on hype sticker I just checked Discogs and they have it there for $40.00 + shipping

15. John Harchar

Another thing for the next box? (I only say half jokingly). A comprehensive set of Jimi’s mixes from all of 1970 would provide some needed insight into what direction he was looking to go. The recordings are one thing, the mixes show what he was looking to highlight...at least until the next mix.

16. You know it makes me wonder if EH is mining the stuff from the tapes that fans have boot copies of, first, only slipping in a few surprises on the mass market releases, with fully unreleased material on the Dagger releases.

In other words, 90% of the stuff that we have outside of Dagger releases are variations of known tracks, with 10% (or less) being heretofore unknown/nonbooted material.

There also seems to be a pattern for holding back Hendrix's own mixes, yes.

Yeah, it's not like I'm saying anything new; we'll suffer this in dribs and drabs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Discussion about "Linda" from early in this thread. Post #522

Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

It goes on for about 5 pages or so. As with all Hendrix threads, a lot of off-topic stuff intertwined.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  18. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

its a shame the Hendrix catalogue is like this. it seems all so disjointed and hard to follow. and ive been following it for 30 years

pexie, andrewskyDE, 905 and 5 others like this.
  19. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

A release that actually grouped tracks together in some coherent way would be far too useful.

20. John Harchar

It’s a little better than The Who, I know, not saying much but still...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Yes, I believe Caesar Glebbeek may have alluded to this before with the Woburn soundboard.

22. Yeah, it's really difficult for me not to take the piss out of EH...so, for the most part I keep it in. I try not to grouse too much. I think about all of the great things they've given us, and it's quite a lot, actually (of course I've paid for it)! That's my good foot.

With my other foot I could kick them in the ass, though. :)

Then I think about all of the starving children around the world who don't have proper toilets, let alone proper Hendrix, and I become disgusted with my accident of being born American.

I think Indiana Jones could have saved a lot more Indian kids in The Temple of Doom. He was shortsighted. Then again, he didn't have 28 different takes of "Freedom" to get him going. :sigh:

pexie, Greenalishi, kanakaris and 3 others like this.
  23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

And you know the late, great James Brown said to get on the good foot. Good advice when considering EH's accomplishments and their shortcomings it seems :D.

SG47 and EVOLVIST like this.
  24. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

My cousin had Sega CD, so we listened to Hendrix and Fleetwood Mac "Behind the Mask" was already discounted at Ma Wal-Mart, like $6 or $7, both were CD-G

25. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

I love the rhythm section when Buddy Miles played that song, the original mix was brilliant.

pexie, fredhammersmith and jhm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.