Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Musically they are similar. Their lyrics are completely different.

I was doing a little research on the web. I came across this is article by John Ridley from 2010.
    Send My Love To Linda: An Untold Jimi Hendrix Story

Ridley literally got the whole origin of the song wrong. "Linda" is not Linda Keith

Here is Kathy Etchingham's version on how the song title changed from "Send My Love To Kathy" to Linda
    Jimi Hendrix and Send my Love to Linda. Original lyrics. - Kathy Etchingham

She even shares Jimi's handwritten lyrics from 1969.

Ridley would go on to write and direct the Hendrix biopic "Jimi: All By My Side"
    Jimi: All Is by My Side - Wikipedia

That movie was criticized for factual errors.

Hep Alien, vinyldreams, Dodoz and 3 others like this.
  2. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

Interesting i thought they had some of the same lyrics. I did know it was actually about Kathy though

3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

No, it was released in spring 1970 or so, Jimi still alive.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Completely. I can't see any similarities.

Dodoz likes this.
  5. I wish they used someone better than Eddie Kramer, with fresh ears and coming from a different genre.

Hendrix music could be mixed nicely (with some decent, heavier, bass, for instance) by Godwin Logie, Steven Stanley, Sly & Robbie, Bruce Sweden, or the guy who mixes Earth Wind & Fire.

At last we’d be able to listen to something that’s well founded on a good solide drum and bass, guitars would not be earbleedingly shrill. Sweet, heavy, melodic and a bit more fun too.

Rooster_Ties and weavzy like this.
  6. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I hope so, but what's the next one going to be? The Hendrix catalogue is such a mess.
    Heaven Has No Sorrow and Send My Love to Linda would have made perfect sense...

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Half agree with this. Electric Ladyland is in dire need of a remix. Or at least some Bernie Grundman love and affection.

Gauth likes this.
  8. Really?!!!! Electric Ladyland is a masterpiece and remains today one of the best albums released in a decade of unprecedented masterpieces and therefore doesn't need re-touching by anyone.

9. Has anyone considered the possibility that Send My Love To Linda included on the new release might just be an instrumental 'band' take and not have any vocal flown in? The last two albums finished with very odd choices albeit they both petered out with largely sketchy instrumental jams that fall apart after a couple of minutes. I always thought it was a curious decision and wondered if they really are clueless. There are some great tracks on both released albums so why not sequence the albums a little better? If you want people to remember the album and want them to buy it and play it repeatedly, then surely the first lesson is to go out with a bang instead of a whimper. Where's Alan Douglas when you need him? :hide:

10. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Jimi didn't like the sound of it, so why should we? :)

MoonPool likes this.
  11. Whose fault was that? Eddie Kramer's? Wait a second, isn't he the same guy responsible for the sound of almost every new album release since? ;)

thrivingonariff and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Electric Ladyland doesn't need remixing - it needs remastering - IMHO, it needs to be the EH remastering WITHOUT the compression. Repeat for Axis: Bold As Love, Are You Experienced and Band Of Gypsys. Bernie Grundman may be able to do this. Tonally, the EH mastering is great for these albums.

Imagine70, weavzy and Lonson like this.
  13. I'll take as many different versions as they have to offer.

Hep Alien, jhm, recklessczar and 4 others like this.
  14. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I agree. Its my favourite album of all tine. Its the album by which i measure all others. Unfortunately, its sounds a bright and brittle on vinyl. And i iwn about five copies, all dufferent pressings.

Purple Jim likes this.
  15. Oh I see. To be honest I haven't played a Hendrix original 'studio' CD album for nearly 20 years as the awful mastering put me off. Like many here I have been enjoying Hendrix studio material on LP whenever possible. The problems with compression are not applicable to these releases.

John Buchanan likes this.
  16. It never struck me that way but it's been a while since I've played it. I imagine the issues are with the original master tapes and nothing short of a remix would fix that.

17. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The original Reprise CDs are not compressed or NoNoised. I suspect they could sound better - Cry Of Love certainly sounds less midrangey than the original Reprise CD, so I guess I'm hoping for Bernie to repeat this with the core catalogue.

Lownote30 likes this.
  18. He will! As Experience Hendrix llc has just signed a lucrative deal to continue with Sony I have no doubt whatsoever there will be an opportunity to remaster everything from scratch with possibly out-take 'bonus' material attached. They dropped the ball last time but I think that was more due to timing and getting the core catalogue out quickly under the Legacy imprint. IIRC the main albums were not remastered any differently to the '97 issues, apart from possibly Axis so they are "due" for remastering? I'm happy to stick to my uncompressed 2010/12 vinyl LP remasters (which are mostly analogue sourced).

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Unless the have something new, that long jam/guitar solo is probably what will be on the new collection. I can't see how a vocal could be put on it.
    It is terrific and that would have very nice on another Hear My Music/Burning Desire type album with other similar explorations like Easy Blues (instead of it being on PH&A), the long Astro Man jam, Cherokee Mist, Peace In Mississippi, Midnight Lightning,... That's what I did with all this stuff.

Me too. I like what Bill did with Santana and Bob Marley also.
    There was of course that Beautiful People Jimi mash-up which was fun.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

A nice remix without Leary would indeed be welcome.

21. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

I believe the Ultimate Hendrix book quotes Billy Cox in regards to Heaven Has No Sorrow. He basically says something like, ''That was just something we were working on but didn't really develop." So at least, Billy understood that to be a different song than Sending My Love To Linda.

Hep Alien and Dodoz like this.
  22. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Ah Billy. He's often a man of few words but I often thought about him and his last days with Jimi. I wonder what their last encounter was like - probably less than ideal. Flying back to the US to recuperate from a drug-induced breakdown and paranoia, and then learning that Jimi had passed away days later must have been devastating.

Reminds me that Jimi dedicated "Foxy Lady" to a Linda at the Isle of Wight. Linda Keith, as it's an early song, or someone else?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Hep Alien and Chris M like this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Billy's whole time as Jimi's bass player was probably exhausting for him - the fame and hangers-on he wasn't used to, and he went back to Nashville several times because of Jimi's managerial situation. Jimi had to plead with him to come back several times, until things seemed to settle down from March 1970 onwards.

Jimi also sings about a "Linda" in Red House at Isle of Wight. Biographers have interpreted this as Jimi having some kind of Linda Keith obsession the weeks before his death. That seems like a stretch. Going by Kathy E's story, "Linda" might even have been a coded reference to her.

Hep Alien and Dodoz like this.
  24. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Price drop on the vinyl to $20.99! Amazon US.
    Great price for the two album set!!
    Pressed at QRP. O doubt!!
    Beave

25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I'm not certain the entire session is on one boot, but I don't recall for sure. I know the entire session from a tape source is out there in collector land. You should be able to find it across town ;).

Billy_Sunday likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.