Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Is there a good alternative to get the mixes from War Heroes on other CDs?

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Sort of...

You're much better off getting a Reprise vinyl with "RL" in the deadwax and doing a needledrop or getting this cd:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  3. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Dodoz, Purple Jim and Hep Alien like this.
  4. pool_of_tears

Really?! I have to compare them, now. How did I miss that?!

5. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

It's got a little more stuff at the beginning, but you can use it in a pinch. At this point, comparing the 2014 CoL and RB to First Rays and SSB, I'd prefer a Grundman remastered reissue of War Heroes (possibly tacking on Loose Ends to make a full disc. At least you can make a full War Heroes, we're still a song and a couple of alternate mixes short for Loose Ends)

6. pool_of_tears

It’s been several years since I played the box set. I mean st be rusty

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Or they could add tracks like 51st Anniversary, Gloria and the acoustic version of Hear My Train A Comin' which should have been included on War Heroes instead of stuff like Peter Gunn/Catastrophe and Three Little Bears. They could also add the better tracks from Loose Ends like The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice (originally scheduled for War Heroes and then pulled), Drifter's Escape and Come Down Hard On Me Baby as well.

Hep Alien and Purple Jim like this.
  8. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I believe it's a much different edit (and maybe different mix). I'm used to the version of "War Heroes" and only heard the "Merry Christmas" CD once. I believe the newer version fades out when the "War Heroes" version is cut after Jimi's "stop it!".

Funny how "Peter Gunn Catastrophe" and "Three Little Bears" were often criticized but I enjoy them. Light-hearted moments with Jimi :)

9. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

I'm with quite a few other posters here; Experience Hendrix is scrapping the ground underneath the barrel, at this point. I'll still buy this new release, though.

I see their problem though; make a cohesive enough album for collectors and daisy pickers, alike. Kramer is a nice enough guy, but, what are we left with studio wise?

He mentions live stuff- OK, where's Royal Albert Hall? Why was Berkeley 1970 given such a substandard release? Berkeley was one of the better shows from 1970 that was actually recorded. The Atlanta Pop 1970 release was Frankenstein'ed. I doubt we'll ever see anything else from Randall's Island 1970, outside of "Red House." It was a rough show, I realize that, but there were a couple other decent moments. The Maui 1970 shows are way underrepresented. Again, though, audio issues.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They still haven't released the other Berkeley show and soundcheck. I believe Royal Albert Hall is still tied up in litigation.

I believe San Diego and LA 1969 are both out of print now and someone said in an older thread that Experience Hendrix was planning in reissuing all of the shows that appeared on the old out of print Stages box set as complete standalone shows at some point.

I am more interested in the rest of the Band of Gypsies live material myself.

11. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Exactly my point! I think I read somewhere, that the masters to the first show were lost, or some nonsense. Yet, "Johnny B. Goode" continues to get released. There's also a solid version of "Freedom" from that first show. RE: Royal Albert Hall, I think it will stay in litigation for a few more years. Who knows at this point, but realistically, any of us into Hendrix have most likely seen the footage and have quite a bit of the audio.

12. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

I hate peoples hell and angels I'm excited for this new album. Finally. Its crazy how they magically waited for physical media sales to dramatically increase before they released the good stuff.

13. AcidPunk15

he died prematurely what are you talking about also his playing so experimental why wouldn't you want to hear any of his jams. Any jams or bsing the studio is better than most of the stuff on the radio.

14. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

then why did you hate People Hell and Angels?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. AcidPunk15

I remember not liking it I was a junior in high school, I love South Delta and Valley of Neptunes and other posthumous releases

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

In what way? If there are slight edits, I wouldn't call that Frankensteining.

supernaut, Hep Alien, tedhead and 5 others like this.
  17. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

Jeez how do you remember all the way back to the those days of 2013?

tedhead, Deek57, pablorkcz and 2 others like this.
  18. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

i see these releases more as a way of getting the music out, than as an album to listen to. makes the whole Hendrix catalogue a bit hard to deal with. but with playlists and mp3 / digital files its easier to make your own albums. i love that we get high quality releases. a bit more order would be better and a complete version of somewhere with the original drums on a single would make me happy, but we wont get that. Hendrix has been my main obsessions since i was 12. i have a Hendrix vinyl page on Instagram called hendrixvinyl.

the cry of love / rainbow bridge recent issues were amazing. i haven't gone back to Neptune or people... much. or the recent multi disk set. but i still get them as at some point ill delve into them properly

19. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

That's kind of the way I've come to look at everything that came out after Jimi died, just take what's there and make up your own collections. Like I'll be taking the Power of Soul on BSOTS and use it for a revised War Heroes playlist, Cherokee Mist for an Electric Ladyland "bonus disc" playlist and things like that

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have an East German Hendrix compilation LP where most of the tracks are sourced from Cry Of Love and War Heroes. '3 Little Bears' is on it.
    And I bought the christmas EP via iTunes few years ago. Can say there are notable differences. The song sounds dry on the LP version.
    The recent version/mix has additional reverb on Hendrix' vocals and ends with a fade out rather than having a cold ending. I prefer the LP version.

Hep Alien and Dodoz like this.
  21. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

It was one his best recorded performances, but i wouldn't call the 2nd set substandard by any means. (Of course, all of us would like to get both shows and the soundcheck.) In fact, it's one my favourite live releases by Jimi. Great show, great sound quality.

I don't think so. Ok, the out-of-tune New Rising Sun was edited out, and there were some audience noise added, but so what? I wouldn't call that "frankenstein'ed".

22. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Hey Baby from this show canNOT be released officially. There's just no way.

Matthew Tate and Rooster_Ties like this.
  23. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

I would like to know this too. Does anyone know?

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  24. AcidPunk15

I don't, remember 2013, I just remember listening to when i walked liked 50 blocks in nyc in 2013.

25. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

While we're at it, am I the only person who thinks it's ridiculous that the true single versions of "Stepping Stone" and "Izabella" aren't available? I know that the likes of us are the only ones who probably really care about such a thing, but I think it's important that an artist who only has four main albums to his name (Are You Experienced?, Axis, Electric Ladyland and Band Of Gypsys) would have his lifetime output in context and correctly issued.

And then, when they tried to issue the purported single versions on the Voodoo Child compilation they apparently screwed it up by instead release alternate versions (albeit versions that sound very, very close to the singles, but still).

Adding the true single versions of "Stepping Stone" and "Izabella" would be a great inclusion on a future Hendrix release just like the one that is coming out very soon. I don't understand why, if they are hurting for material, they don't do something obvious like getting these Hendrix approved and released titles back out there.

Hep Alien and 905 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.