Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Im not sure if you're aware or not, but your avatar has a forbidden silhouette depicted within....

SinnerSaint likes this.
  2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I wonder how many of those are still around. The TV appearance (I think it was Germany) that was on MTV and VH1 all the time when they played music back in the late 80s is around, this show...

3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Oh the good old days, where you could spend a good three minutes on "live" radio tuning the guitar!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Look out Purple Jim. Your avatar my stir up the might of She Who Must Be Obeyed. Better change it to a picture of Leon. She'll be cool with that.

Tuck1977, Purple Jim and John Fell like this.
  5. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I actually like the new album cover and I see it is getting a lot of hate. As for posting Hendrix pictures maybe we should be flattered that Janie is here looking at these threads. But that is quite petty. It isn't like we are posting blogspot links with downloads. They are photos that you can find anywhere on the net. Oh well.

6. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Not without reason:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

There are lots of mimed performances, which are not that interesting, but there is still quite a lot of Experience playing live, filmed and/or recorded for broadcast. Maybe we should make a list of them? IIRC, the film of the Vitus studios is sadly lost or wiped.

8. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

As a designer/restorer/retoucher, I'm gonna tell you: this is not only totally typical but happens to almost every picture of a famous person that appears in sellable media. ALL of them get retouched and messed with. This is not some insidious plot to, I dunno, what, destroy Jimi's image or something, this is just an overly-fussy estate. You should see how many rounds of retouching a friend of mine did on an Angelina Jolie movie poster. Hint: way, way more.

9. Jon Busey-Hunt

PS: I think it's a really good album cover. Halfway between a photo and a painting. Striking as hell.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  10. thrivingonariff

Yes, I'm well aware of that, but it's the nature of exactly what was done here that is objectionable, and Jimi is not Angelina.

11. Jon Busey-Hunt

What is the "nature of what is done," though? They didn't "whiten" him or anything. A/Bing it from a photo it looks like they very slightly retouched the lump on the side of his nose, narrowed his eyes, moved his mouth like a half-click to the left, upped the contrast, cloned out the curly bit on the left side of his hair. The moving his lips is the weirdest thing -- don't know WHY they did it, but it produces the most change -- he's more symmetrical now.

I dunno, all the changes are tiny. End result, it looks more like an illustration than a photo. But it's not like they lightened his skin tone or anything, or made him look "less black."

Matthew Tate and Pete Puma like this.
  12. Jon Busey-Hunt

Oh, my bad, they took out some shine on one cheek too.

13. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

There's a (IMO) great radio broadcast from Hamburg, Germany 1967 that would be a nice candidate to include in such a "broadcasts" release should they ever choose to do one. It would make a great Dagger release at least.

Gordon Johnson and Doctor Flang like this.
  14. Off:

'Full' [suppossed "Complete Original Version"] "PiM" was released, unofficially, in 2010. Does EH, now have the un-Schwartsberged master?

Thx

15. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The Beat Club is pretty good too, altough the broadcasted version was edited and the sound engineer's were clearly having trouble with Jimi's loud guitar. They were so good!

Matthew Tate and jhm like this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Unfortunately it doesn't even look like Jimi, but a Jimi impersonator. I think that's the main problem people have with it. I know that's mine. Smoothing out skin/touching up blemishes is one thing, but if the end result doesn't even look like the individual, then what's the point? I bet that Angelina Jolie picture on the poster your friend touched up still actually looked like Angelina Jolie. For this cover, by changing the shape of the eyes in particular (to me), it doesn't look like Jimi Hendrix anymore.

17. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Agreed. Like I said earlier in this thread, it looks like Dave Chapelle playing Prince playing Hendrix. It's comical.

18. Jon Busey-Hunt

DOES it though?

http://mrhipster.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/wanted.jpg

Honestly, before I saw the original photo, I just assumed it was an illustration. It still looks like Jimi to me, if a slightly perfect Jimi.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Jon Busey-Hunt

Come on. No. It's not that bad. At worst it looks a little like Andre 3000.

pablorkcz and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I must be blind. How anyone can say that picture looks nothing like Jimi is a gross exaggeration. To put it mildly.
    If you showed anyone that picture and asked them who it is, they would say "Jimi Hendrix". There very well may be touch ups and changes, but it is certainly nothing anyone I know would make a big deal of . . . or even notice.

21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Well we had an "unSchawtzberged" (great term BTW) version originaly released on "Voodoo Soup", however it was still edited at 5:00ish minutes. EH has released a version that is 7:04, first on a CD single, then on the re-issued Purple Box set. If it isn't complete, it's pretty darn close.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  22. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I think Andre 3000 looks more like Jimi than this cover does. :laugh:

You're right, but it's still a pretty bad version of Jimi.

Matthew Tate and jhm like this.
  23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I think the poster still looks like Angelina. I honestly think the BSOTS cover looks nothing like Jimi, so much so that it's insulting. To each their own though. I'm sure the general public won't care one iota. I'd post a side by side of the unrestored photo and the final one, but we've been reminded not to post Jimi photos.

Matthew Tate and DrBeatle like this.
  24. Jon Busey-Hunt

I literally laid one on top of the other in Photoshop so I could turn the layer on and off and see the changes. I upped the contrast so it'd be almost exact. The movement is so miniscule as to be almost not noticeable. The mouth is the only significant deal.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. thrivingonariff

It's more than that. For instance, the vertical line of reflected light that has the effect of narrowing the nose.

But they did.

Anyway, enough of that (for me), back to the music.

Matthew Tate, DrBeatle and jhm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.