Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Right with you. Love Mojo Man and have often wanted more of the same.
    I wonder if EH has got involved or something.

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The Aleem twins have ********ted for decades about their collaboration with Jimi. There's really no evidence that Jimi did anything more than a quick overdub on Mojo Man (of course the twins sang backup on a few Jimi tunes too).

There was another track (Sugar Daddy) they included in some weird radio poetry episode, but it turned out to be an outtake of the Hendrix/Lonnie Youngblood song Under The Table, with a load of 90s overdubs, including vocals from Buddy Miles (would sure like to hear the unaltered track without the twins' messy overdubs).

EVOLVIST likes this.
  3. I can't figure out what your expletive is. Heh.

Yeah, those guys...but they sure found away into the 1973 film. I refuse call them anything another than the ALLEN twins, probably because we share the same surname. They must have something going on with EH, though. I imagine at their age they probably sold what they had to EH (whatever it is, maybe finger paintings), and they're resting on their laurels. What's left of them anyway.

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Much as I love the band with Billy, I don't find it more interesting than the original line-up with Noel. This isn't at all down to the abilities of either bass player, it's just about where Jimi was at the time with his music. The rise of the Experience was extraordinarily thrilling, raw, daring, experimental. I think the 68/69 live improvisations were just as deep and satisfying as the 1970 ones if not more. I'd also say that the Experience hits were also better performed in the earlier days as they were newer and loaded with more enthusiasm.

Absolutely. Their ramblings were interesting for a while, but they eventually got on my nerves and never came up with the goods.

Gordon Johnson and DTK like this.
  5. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Kassonica, dee, DTK and 2 others like this.
  6. That's right! I remember reading now that Albert died. I forgot where I heard that.

7. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I do want to read the book they wrote but last time I checked it was going for OOP prices.
    It went OOP before I even knew it was out.

8. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I just noted sort of the same thing in another thread, Hear My Music and Burning Desire are really integral in understanding where Jimi was in 1969. They dipped their toe in the water by doing HMM on vinyl but they deserve wider release.

Purple Jim and EVOLVIST like this.
  9. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Most people interviewed in "A Film About Jimi Hendrix" seemed to be a bit tipsy, or stoned, but the twins stole the show when they started to talk about the "alpha jerk"!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Fox67, gpalz, The Beave and 3 others like this.
  10. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

"...Maybe he was high, or slightly high and just said 'let me try the alpha', and slipped on out... OR, he could have just died out of pure frustration, like 'f@#k it!!'".

o_O

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Beave and Doctor Flang like this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Back in 2008, they seemed all geared up to release some stuff:

TaharQa: " ...We are completing our “Ghetto Fighter” album and also working on a virtual reality project that focuses on some of our Harlem adventures with Jimi Hendrix with original music featuring Jimi Hendrix on guitar and featuring the late Buddy Miles and the Ghetto Fighters on vocals."

Source:
    Jimi Hendrix and the Ghetto Fighters Rock the Past and Soul into the Future

+ more info here:
    http://museumofuncutfunk.com/2012/03/10/jimi-hendrix-the-ghetto-fighters-mojo-man/

"The first single from the Ghetto Fighter’s album is titled, “Mojo Man” and will be marketed on web and TV in a cutting edge, animated, musical motion comic video that the Aleem’s branded: “Clea’art DMS. (Clea’art simply means, “making art clearer through Digital, Music, Storytelling”(TM)"

"cutting edge, animated, musical motion comic video":rolleyes::biglaugh:

[​IMG]

J.Lucas and DTK like this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I think the radio show-type thing with Buddy on a track I referred to was part of that "virtual reality" project. Very cutting-edge-mid-90s. o_O

13. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

They did release a trailer for "Mojo Man". I don't know
    how much further they got on the project. Did EH stop
    them from releasing it?

14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

As I recall there was some "manager" that had a deal with them that got upset as their planned release was supposedly done behind his back. I believe once he got involved, this "project" disappeared.

DTK, Wayne Hubbard and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The twins were seemingly Jimi's connection to the street, the Harlem world, hustling, pimps, drug lords and all that :).

The Beave likes this.
  16. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Who does not look like Jimi Hendrix!

17. Gordon Johnson

Ask me and I'll tell you it don't look like the REAL Jimi Hendrix!

Cokelike- and DTK like this.
  18. Gordon Johnson

Almost. But we all have noticed it.

19. Gordon Johnson

It looks a lot like him, from a distance of 25 yards, squinted eyes and when I take my spec's off !!!!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, I remember that. Junk animation.

Around the same time there was also a dumb "Astro Man" comic book/graphic novel in the works. I don't know if that ever appeared on the market.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  21. Just listened to Mannish Boy

I don’t think the sound is as good as it could have been

Not enough bass, not very clean, vocals not very clear and in your face

The Jimi Hendrix Experience crew should try other mixing engineers, and explore the possibility of non-rock engineers.

I’m partial to what the Jamaicans were able to achieve in the late 70’s and early 80’s sonically and I’m sure people like Sly & Robbie, Steven Stanley or Godwin Logie would do a wonderful job.

22. funkydrummer

funkydrummer Forum Resident

I still don't understand why they made another composite of a substandard track that is already on Blues? This one doesn't improve on it. In fact, having read some of the comments on this thread about earlier AD era edits, I actually think he was, in general, the better editor (CL and ML notwithstanding)...even though as a hardcore fan, I want to have a much as possible, I still prefer some of the shorter edits on albums such as Nine to the Universe and Voodoo Soup. Also as others have written the Dagger releases from early 2000s were much more interesting, but as we know EH shot their bolt, and then had to scramble to make new stuff for Sony. To see that promo video with snippet of Mannish Boy is really a joke...I mean, it just shows how desperate the whole enterprise has become. Of all the amazing Hendrix photos out there, they end up putting a waxwork on the front...maybe it is fitting, a Frankenstein Jimi for another Frankenstein album.

23. I hear you. Of course, Douglas was the better editor! The problem is (was) that he was catering for a completely different audience back then to what Experience Hendrix is today. As some here have argued EH should have produced two weighty box sets of "studio material" to cover the post-Electric Ladyland period - comprising all of the band line-ups and various experiments / jams etc - the first to include the residue of 68 and 69 and the follow-up through 69 / 70, FROTNRS project, to comprehensively survey all of the extant masters which Jimi had worked on prior to his death.

What EH is doing is to have its cake and eat it. It wants to create albums to drip feed the consumer market and to keep the dollars rolling in through various multi-million dollar record label deals. In order to prop some material up and reinvent other stuff it has had to revert to Frankenstein-ing material to get the necessary "polish" to sell a "newly discovered album of material" to that consumer market. A large comprehensive box set or two surveying the studio material from late 68 through August 70 would have only sold in much smaller numbers to the hard-core fan base, the very people that these current albums are not aimed at.

Purple Jim and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. funkydrummer

funkydrummer Forum Resident

Yes there is some truth to that - I guess, to be fair EH are in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation...although I could counter, has the audience changed "that much"? I guess it has moved from concision to complete these days...In regard to the box sets, maybe the fact they haven't gone with them, and have gone for these collections, means the audience still wants "digestible" outtakes...which is basically the same deal as Douglas was providing...I think EH had placed a lot of their eggs in the RAH basket for the Sony deal, and now that remains in limbo, they are just making it up as they go along.
    In regard to box sets - I personally have always pined for a type of First Rays "sketches" - they could then finally give us the rest of Black Gold and other related material they have been "drip feeding"...but as you say, that would not be as profitable - but it would be more honest.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think the idea of doing "albums" regularly is a good thing. It's just a pity that so many key tracks that should have been on these "albums" were thrown into the two box sets and onto B-sides.

dee, John Fell, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.