Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well all the better stuff has been released through the decades. Now they are finally getting round to sifting through these last few takes, versions, jams.

These last albums from the Janie & Co. represent the last things that they can scrape together for what they consider to be commercially viable. However some of it is very good and essential for Hendrix nuts.

2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I went back to have a listen to that version and thought I remember it working better. But it's really, really...bad. I mean you almost couldn't have picked two more different sounding takes in tempo or tone, let alone personnel. I'll stick by the April 7 take, perfectly reasonable version as is.

3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Unless there are other things we all don't know about, the songs I'd like out (full Message From Nine to the Universe, Midnight Lightning/Stoop Down, at least part of the Blue Sude Shoe jam and $7 in my Pocket from later that day) are better suited for a Dagger if they want to cobble a stand alone CD together. I do think at some point they'll realize if they do some Dylan-size session sets, they'll get quite a few sales (count me as one).

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Good point.

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I don't hear Johnny playing in a minor scale, but I could be wrong. He's doing his usual professional best. I love Johnny. I think it's Jimi's attempt at mimicking Guitar Slim's solo note for note that kind of lets the recording down. He almost never did things like that so it's fascinating.
    Johnny himself said that the problem when Jimi and him played together was that they both held back as they had a great mutual respect for each other.

kees1954 likes this.
  6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I noted that back here Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018, however didn't pay enough attention to see if there were different parts of the experience version from what Kramer will be giving us. All I noted was the last repeated "note" on the Douglas version wasn't on the new version. I'll have to go back and compare them again.

kees1954 likes this.
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Ok, but why has it taken over 40 years to release this stuff?

8. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

The barrel that is being scraped, is quite huge ;)

9. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

its not about evolving
    it's more like milking a dead cow .

10. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

BTW Jimi's vocals on Things are truly heartfelt. Same as on the Newport rendition. At least to my ears. The insecurity of his performance really adds to the emotional quality.

Purple Jim, jhm and DTK like this.
  11. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Maybe we're getting confused about performances here - I was talking specifically about the version of the Allman's Mountain Jam at Atlanta on 07/05/70, rather than the version of Things That I Used To Do on Both Sides Of The Sky (which I haven't properly heard, although I did used to have the Live * Unreleased box, which had *a* version from the same date)

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah, I was referring to the Hendrix jam. I haven't actually heard the Allman jam.
    The Live and Unreleased version is the same take, but a different edit/mix.

kees1954 and hoggydoggy like this.
  13. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

Like I said I'm not really an expert in distinguishing between minor and major blues scales, but I hope a more knowledgable musician will step up and relief me from my ignorance;)

14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Still waiting for that Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash and Tupac trio album to come out.

15. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

Guitar overdubs, sure but it's pretty much a fully composed song.

16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I'm not sure I'm an "expert" but I know my minor and major scales. It really doesn't make sense to talk about "minor" and "major" scales in a strict sense when discussing any form of more traditional blues playing, both are usually present to some degree. Johnny is playing slide with an open tuning, so major chord shapes will be heard when he's barring with the slide, simply because that is how the guitar is tuned, but single note lines he's playing can be said to use the minor pentatonic scale. Jimi also mostly uses minor pentatonic when he solos, but with some major notes mixed in. That is just how you play blues, you mix them, and I'm not hearing Jimi mainly using one scale and Johnny mainly using another, they both mix, but of course the approach is very different since one is playing with slide and one without.

DTK and kees1954 like this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Shhh! Don't give Janie ideas!

kees1954 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm hearing a bunch of guys who sound rather inebriated. It's a bit sluggish and half-hearted - and why not, they were just having fun after all.

kees1954 and Gordon Johnson like this.
  19. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Not a great session by any means and possibly we get the best section from it on the Lifelines [5:00] / Live and Unreleased [4:18]. But the edit on the upcoming release is down to 3:42.

20. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

Focusing on a very positive element of Gary's review: Cherokee Mist can be heard in its full glory in a new mix!
    My expectations are high :)

21. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Possibly this is the most exciting issue of the "trilogy", for me at least :)

funkydrummer and kees1954 like this.
  22. Yazid Manou

Yazid Manou Forum Resident

I do think this new one is much better than "Valleys" and "People". I wait your comments after March 9.

YM

kees1954, jhm and Gordon Johnson like this.
  23. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

i just copped the purple box vinyl from 2000. Is there a difference in sound between this and the new pressing? I have to imagine digitally sourced vinyl has made some improvement in the last 17 years?

24. You already heard it?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Like you I'm happy to be in the minority. I prefer Voodoo Soup to any other posthumous release of Jimi's!

funkydrummer and Maidenpriest like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.